Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

calories are calories?

O.k. I am wondering if in the course of a day it is better to eat three meals, two meals or just have one big meal. I mean daily caloric intake is daily caloric intake.....What does everyone think?:)

O.k. I am wondering if in the course of a day it is better to eat three meals, two meals or just have one big meal. I mean daily caloric intake is daily caloric intake.....What does everyone think?:)

Calories are calories period. Doesn't matter if you eat them all in 1 meal or stagger. However, if you eat 5 small meals (or 3 meals with 2 small snacks) you won't be as hungry or tired amd you'll have an easier time sticking to your calorie goal.

Calories are calories period. Doesn't matter if you eat them all in 1 meal or stagger. QUOTE]

I dont know about this. i have heard in the past that our bodies are not ment to handle as many calories as we normally eat. (IE 1000 calories in a dinner). Since our bodies dont know what to do with them, they simply store what it is not going to use.

in turn this is why so many diets tell us to eat 5 small meals a day... not just to help control hunger, but so that our body can properly use what we feed it.

I have heard it is better to eat 5 small meals because it keeps your metabolism moving. Otherwise, your body might think it's starving and store calories.

I eat 3 meals and a couple of Snacks a day. For me, calories [italic]aren't[/italic] calories; my body needs a steady source of energy. While my thighs are storing plenty, fueling myself throughout the day works better for me.

As does very carefully choosing the type of fuel, and amount.

All of you are talking about a different concept which is how our bodies use calories (which is obviously different for everyone based on a multitude of different physiological issues unique to to us as individuals). What I am talking about, and what I believe the OP asked about is the consumption of energy (which is what a calorie is). If you consume 1000 units of energy (calories) your body cannot turn it into 1500 units of energy just because its annoyed that you ate 1000 calories all at once. This is a scientific concept...its not unique to or different for people who have had WLS. Energy in is energy in.

With a band you would struggle to eat all your calories at one meal!

I've had two fills, but little restriction......

Personally, I think we're actually probably meant to gorge ourselves stupid once every couple of days and then go long periods without eating! That's why our bodies are as efficient as they are at storing fat, they're made to deal with large quantities.

Trouble is, we eat those large quantities on a daily basis. I dont think the human body is necessarily evolved to eat 3 meals a day.

In other words calories are calories. But we dont live in the Stone Age anymore and if we CAN eat sensibly 3 times a day I think that in the presence of a glut of calories, its probably a way to store less fat and run more reliably.

Personally, I think we're actually probably meant to gorge ourselves stupid once every couple of days and then go long periods without eating! That's why our bodies are as efficient as they are at storing fat, they're made to deal with large quantities.

Trouble is, we eat those large quantities on a daily basis. I dont think the human body is necessarily evolved to eat 3 meals a day.

In other words calories are calories. But we dont live in the Stone Age anymore and if we CAN eat sensibly 3 times a day I think that in the presence of a glut of calories, its probably a way to store less fat and run more reliably.

How do you feel about the whole "starvation mode" thing?

My thoughts too. I don't understand how anyone could manage to eat all your calories in just one meal after being banded. I have not eaten a meal like that since being banded.

My thoughts too. I don't understand how anyone could manage to eat all your calories in just one meal after being banded. I have not eaten a meal like that since being banded.

Kellyodoran, were you just asking a hypothetical question or do you actually eat 1000 calories and just 1 meal a day?

Whatever supresses your appetite and works best for you!

Kellyodoran, were you just asking a hypothetical question or do you actually eat 1000 calories and just 1 meal a day?

Of course I'm asking a hypothetical question, I plan on going back to school, and will be there for 8 hours a day, what I'm wondering is (I don't really have restriction now) is if this would be feasible? It is just a question going through my mind as to how will I eat with 8 hours of class?

Of course I'm asking a hypothetical question, I plan on going back to school, and will be there for 8 hours a day, what I'm wondering is (I don't really have restriction now) is if this would be feasible? It is just a question going through my mind as to how will I eat with 8 hours of class?

I guess 'feasible' is individual to everyone. Some days I forget to eat until dinner time, but I am really unable to eat all my calories in one meal. So now and again I eat slightly under my calories (which are between 800-900). But I don't do that often, primarily because I get a little tired and I'm unable to workout to my maximum potential because I don't have anything in me.

When I was in grad school (and then working from 9am-9pm) I just carried little Snacks with me. Slim fast bars, Protein bars, sometimes I would just stop at a store (like WaWa) and get a hardboiled egg or some tuna salad. You can always pack a lunch for yourself in the morning in a hot/cold lunchbox and bring something from home.