Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question on Being Full

Hey Guys,

So I had my 4th fill about 10 days ago, bringing me up to 6.75 cc in my 11cc band and am feeling better restriction. What I'm going through now is that I'm eating much less per sitting, but I find myself hungry about 2 - 3 hours after each meal. Is this normal? Does this mean I'm close to feeling full restriction? I was banded in June and have plateaued at around 23 pounds lost, hoping to lose more before the holidays.

Thanks!

Steve

Hey Guys,

So I had my 4th fill about 10 days ago, bringing me up to 6.75 cc in my 11cc band and am feeling better restriction. What I'm going through now is that I'm eating much less per sitting, but I find myself hungry about 2 - 3 hours after each meal. Is this normal? Does this mean I'm close to feeling full restriction? I was banded in June and have plateaued at around 23 pounds lost, hoping to lose more before the holidays.

Thanks!

Steve

The thing that I like about people like you is that you are looking at this from a positive point of view. :thumbup: You will probably learn, when you finally hit your sweet spot" that 6.75 cc's was not near enough to 1) give you proper restriction; and 2) keep your hunger at bay for a truly reasonable amount of time. But, are you complaining and whining? NO! Keep up the good work and continue getting your fills. Make sure you are getting enough Protein (I find that it keeps my hunger away), Water and exercise. You will be at your "sweet spot" in no time!

With your positive attitude coupled with proper restriction you will definitely be a lapband success story!

Good luck on your journey.

~Fran

I was feeling the same way as you, and realized I wasn't eating enough. Too few calories.

I'd suggest documenting what you're eating specifically. It may be that you're not eating enough Protein or even enough calories, since you are eating smaller amounts of food at each sitting.

But too, I'd suggest eating a Protein type of snack when you do get hungry. Yogurt or cheese.

I was banded almost a year ago. I have never felt full for more then 3 hours or so. I have always factored in Snacks into my daily diet. I lost steadily, now maintaining a 107 pound weight loss. I often eat 6 times a day. I snack on things such as beef Jerky, almonds, cheese sticks. Good luck in your journey!

I'm with vlp--a three-hour stretch is pretty darn good!

I really have learned that "full" is a completely different thing now, too. Instead of "full," I'm simply "not hungry."

Thanks for your replies!

I'll give you an example, yesterday for dinner I had 1/2 grilled chicken cutlet and 1/2 cup of Pasta was satisfied. Around 2 hours later I got hungry again and ate again a little less though, and it's happening throughout the day. Shouldn't I stay satisfied or not hungry for at least 4 hours? Could it be I need a little more in my band?

I have a hard time differentiating between hungry and simply not full/content. As soon as I don't feel full, I want to eat. I know I don't need to, I want to. I have to make a consious decision not to.

You named your post "Question on Being Full" and not "Question on Being Hungry" so I think maybe we're in the same boat.

Our bands are at about the same volume right now. Although everyone's different, it's still lower than the seemingly average "sweet spot". I can only get fills every 6 weeks and just got one a week ago. I already have an appointment scheduled. In the meantime, smart snacking (or living without) is the name of my game.

Thanks for your replies!

I'll give you an example, yesterday for dinner I had 1/2 grilled chicken cutlet and 1/2 cup of Pasta was satisfied. Around 2 hours later I got hungry again and ate again a little less though, and it's happening throughout the day. Shouldn't I stay satisfied or not hungry for at least 4 hours? Could it be I need a little more in my band?

You may want to consider cutting out or at least cutting way back on the Pasta.< /p>

Pasta is generally considered a high glycemic food. High glycemic foods have a tendency to make our blood sugar spike way up and then when it drops down again, hunger comes back. :)

Other high glycemic foods to avoid are white bread, white potatoes, white rice, all corn. I know.. all the "good" stuff that we love. Argh.

Ok.. now that I've given you the bad news, let me give you something a bit happier to "chew on". ::grin::

If you really want to eat the pasta, change over to whole wheat, and cook it al dente (chewy). Cut back to 1/4 cup. Add in some extra (low carb) veggies.

The lowest potatoes on the glycemic index are ones called Nicola. I can't find them where I live, but maybe you can. The next least damaging to use are red potatoes (or "new" potatoes). When I fix green Beans, I'll boil some of these with the Beans and I'll have maybe 1/2 of a little one and lots of the green beans.

Brown or Basamati rice is said to be lower on the glycemic index than others.

Try substituting Quinoa in place of pasta or rice. It's got a fair amount of carbs, but is also a complete Protein.

These are just suggestions about why you are getting hungry sooner than you would like and a way to address the problem. :hi: Do some reading on the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load. It's very enlightening.

Good luck.

I was banded almost a year ago. I have never felt full for more then 3 hours or so. I have always factored in Snacks into my daily diet. I lost steadily, now maintaining a 107 pound weight loss. I often eat 6 times a day. I snack on things such as beef Jerky, almonds, cheese sticks. Good luck in your journey!

I've heard cheese is just glorified fat, but I happen to think cheese is a healthy snack, if eaten in moderation! Can't give up my cheese!

I've heard cheese is just glorified fat, but I happen to think cheese is a healthy snack, if eaten in moderation! Can't give up my cheese!

There's cheese and then there's cheese.

I avoid large amounts of full fat cheese (for reasons that aren't germane to the conversation).

But the light baby bell cheeses or weight watchers string cheese or the light laughing cow cheeses are all on my "consume with moderation and no guilt" list. ::grin:: (I'm trying to be light-hearted.. there's no room for guilt in my new way of life/eating plan)

You may want to consider cutting out or at least cutting way back on the Pasta.

Pasta is generally considered a high glycemic food. High glycemic foods have a tendency to make our blood sugar spike way up and then when it drops down again, hunger comes back. :)

Other high glycemic foods to avoid are white bread, white potatoes, white rice, all corn. I know.. all the "good" stuff that we love. Argh.

Ok.. now that I've given you the bad news, let me give you something a bit happier to "chew on". ::grin::

If you really want to eat the pasta, change over to whole wheat, and cook it al dente (chewy). Cut back to 1/4 cup. Add in some extra (low carb) veggies.

The lowest potatoes on the glycemic index are ones called Nicola. I can't find them where I live, but maybe you can. The next least damaging to use are red potatoes (or "new" potatoes). When I fix green Beans, I'll boil some of these with the Beans and I'll have maybe 1/2 of a little one and lots of the green beans.

Try substituting Quinoa in place of pasta or rice. It's got a fair amount of carbs, but is also a complete Protein.

These are just suggestions about why you are getting hungry sooner than you would like and a way to address the problem. :hi: Do some reading on the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load. It's very enlightening.

Good luck.

Very interesting!

You may want to consider cutting out or at least cutting way back on the Pasta.

Pasta is generally considered a high glycemic food. High glycemic foods have a tendency to make our blood sugar spike way up and then when it drops down again, hunger comes back. :rolleyes:

These are just suggestions about why you are getting hungry sooner than you would like and a way to address the problem. :wub: Do some reading on the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load. It's very enlightening.

Good luck.

Thanks, that's very good stuff to know.

I took your advice and yesterday for dinner, I only had once chicken drumstick and a couple of spoonfuls of veggies and was full. Again though, about 2.5 hours later I was very hungry, and often what happens is that I begin to snack cause it's what I have around and that usually means trouble lol. I guess my question is do you guys think it's just a matter of getting more restriction? Has anyone experienced this before?

I went in for my second fill a few days ago. He had a poster on the wall that did say if you are getting hungry between meals that it is an indication that you need more restricition.

I too have experienced the hunger after a couple of hours. I know I have a lot to learn as I just received my second fill a few days ago. I am trying to decipher the new "full" feeling, because it is much different than before surgery. I am also learning that "not hungry" after I eat is ok...I don't have to feel full...that is when I end up over eating and having pain.

When I get the hungry feeling inbetween meals, I will sip on some broth or mix a special K packet (it contains 5 frams of Protein and 5 grams of fiber) with some Water and it helps me get me through to the next meal.

I took your advice and yesterday for dinner, I only had once chicken drumstick and a couple of spoonfuls of veggies and was full. Again though, about 2.5 hours later I was very hungry, and often what happens is that I begin to snack cause it's what I have around and that usually means trouble lol. I guess my question is do you guys think it's just a matter of getting more restriction? Has anyone experienced this before?

It takes more than one day for carbs to clear my body. I lost control last week and ate a 1/2 box of saltines.. whoops. Well, the next day I didn't eat any less than usual, but I felt hungrier sooner between meals. Two days after my saltines binge, I was back to normal.

I went back and reread your original post.. this is your 4th fill with about 6.75 cc's in a llcc band.. right? Did you have the issue of getting hungry 2.5 hours after eating before this latest fill? What I'm leaning toward thinking is that perhaps you have so much fill that you can't eat enough to keep you satisfied for a sufficient period of time.

I also see you're describing your meals as "chicken leg" and "spoonfuls of veggies". Is this how your doctor recommends you portion out your food? I know there are many ways to approach post WLS eating and they are mainly all valid, I'm just curious. My doctor has us eat 3oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of low carb veggies (without high calorie sauces). If we don't have a scale, to measure the Protein as a deck of cards or the palm of our hands. Veggies .. about the size of a tennis ball.

When I get hungry between meals I first check to see if I've drank my Water. I try to get 32oz in between Breakfast and lunch, and another 32oz between lunch & supper. This is just Water. I don't count other beverages towards my 64oz goal. I find that drinking water does help keep hunger at bay.

Then after water, I'll let myself have a small snack if still hungry. Something like a small apple and a cheese stick or a snack size of cottage cheese, or a bit of beef Jerky. I try to keep Snacks high protein and under 100 to 150 calories.

Speaking of water & drinking.. you're not drinking with your meals are you? My doctor has us not drink for 30 min before or after nor with our meals. I followed this advice for a long long time, but finally moved to drinking as I wanted right up to putting the first bite in my mouth. I try very hard not to drink during my meal (only sips if I need them..) and do not drink for an hour after eating. I'm sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know and are following. Just can't tell from the information provided. :eek:

You very well might need more fill, you might need an unfill.. or you may just need to let this current fill settle in. Call your doctor's office and ask their opinion. Go to your support group and ask for help there.

I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner. It's been a busy week. Hope you're doing better.

Edited by Melissannde
clarification

I took your advice and yesterday for dinner, I only had once chicken drumstick and a couple of spoonfuls of veggies and was full. Again though, about 2.5 hours later I was very hungry, and often what happens is that I begin to snack

Think about it...a drumstick and a couple spoonfuls of vegies. My husband's family has never been overweight and they eat more than that at a meal. If they only ate a drumstick and a couple spoonfuls of vegies, they'd be looking for more food 2.5 hours later too.

I've known for decades that eating every 2.5 hours (6 meals) is better than 3 meals. I was so glad when the diabetic 'experts' finally came to the same conclusion so I could quit fighting with my doctors.

You can either divide your daily calories up evenly between those 6 meals, or just have a healthy snack in between your main meals -- hard boiled egg, an ounce or 2 of hard cheese, Protein drink, etc.