Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused and discouraged

I had the lapband placed 7 months ago. I lost 20 lbs pre op, 30 lbs post op, but stopped losing 3 months ago. LATELY I have been gaining wt. I have been exercising for 8 months.

I don't know what the lapband is suppose to do. I have the same bad habits I had before the band. I eat the wrong things and eat too often. These are my cravings and the lapband has not changed that.

I lost weight because I was motivated to because I had the lapband. It was pure psychology, not any physiological effect of the lapband.

I've had fills until I can hardly eat solid food. Nothing helps.

I can see that the band can help those that eat too much at a meal, but not a habitual grazer like me.

Unfortunately, I am a grazer too. I'm sure that's why my weight loss has been slow. I have not exercised up until 2 weeks ago. I am hoping that helps push the weight loss along.

I think we have to make a committment to ourselves to quit eating between meals and stick to the healthy choices.

Good luck to you!

I had the LAP-BAND® placed 7 months ago. I lost 20 lbs pre op, 30 lbs post op, but stopped losing 3 months ago. LATELY I have been gaining wt. I have been exercising for 8 months.

I don't know what the LAP-BAND® is suppose to do. I have the same bad habits I had before the band. I eat the wrong things and eat too often. These are my cravings and the LAP-BAND® has not changed that.

I lost weight because I was motivated to because I had the LAP-BAND®. It was pure psychology, not any physiological effect of the LAP-BAND®.

I've had fills until I can hardly eat solid food. Nothing helps.

I can see that the band can help those that eat too much at a meal, but not a habitual grazer like me.

Hello,

I am in the same boat as you with a slight difference. I do eat everything I want, and there are times that I refrain from eating unhealthy foods. I was banded on 09/21/10, and since then I have lost only 20 lbs. I know I could have easily lost at leat 20 more by now, but my unwillingless to change MY bad eating habits has sabbotaged my good efforts. The band is not a magic device that will change the way you think. You should really work closely with a registered dietician so they can guide you on the foods that you should be eating. Talk to your doctor, they are always our best resource. I have managed to get back on track most days, and I really do understand where yo uare comming from, but sometimes we just have to stop making excuses and DO what is best for us, even though it will be hard most of the time. Also, I have heard that planning and making your meals ahead of time will definetly help you in making good eating choices inteasd of grabbing a bag of chips. I wish you well, and I am here for you if you need me. :thumbup:

Fred, it sounds like you didn't find ths forum until AFTER you were banded, true? Even if that is true, all is not lost. You have the band and you can still lose weight if you are willing to do what it takes. That you had the idea that the band could stop you from grazing just by being in place leads me to believe that you weren't well informed about the band before surgery. Keep reading this forum and you will learn a lot more about the band. For one thing it is not a miracle device, it is a TOOL, not a magic tool, just a tool. If you use the tool properly it will do its job -- but only if you do your job. Another thing is that -- drum roll -- YOU must change the way you eat. Yeah, sad but true, putting a piece of silicone or plastic or whatever it's made of in your belly won't control your mind OR keep your hands from scooping ice cream (a slider food, BTW) into your mouth and swallowing. Only YOU can do that. But here's the thing Fred, it is SOOOOOOOOOO empowering when you learn to take control of your health and well being. Your lapband helps you do that.

Please read through this forum and do other research about how the band really works. Then, make it work for you. Take your life back! The band has helped so many people. As long as you are not having complications there's no reason you cannot succeed. Shame on your doctor for not giving you better information! Don't give up, you can do this!

Try a few support groups too, it could help.

All the best to you on your journey!

~Fran

When I was considering whether to get banding or bypass, I was told by my surgeon and the head nutritionist at the weight loss center that I should NOT get banded if I am a grazer. I am not a grazer, I have Portion Control issues. I was told grazers have a hard time losing weight with the band because they often find ways to cheat by snacking throughout the day.

Unless you are willing to give up your snacking ways you will probably struggle. You should have a protien drink twice a day and 3 small (satisfying to your cravings) nutritious meals (protein first).

You can do it!

Fred, it sounds like you didn't find ths forum until AFTER you were banded, true? Even if that is true, all is not lost. You have the band and you can still lose weight if you are willing to do what it takes. That you had the idea that the band could stop you from grazing just by being in place leads me to believe that you weren't well informed about the band before surgery. Keep reading this forum and you will learn a lot more about the band. For one thing it is not a miracle device, it is a TOOL, not a magic tool, just a tool. If you use the tool properly it will do its job -- but only if you do your job. Another thing is that -- drum roll -- YOU must change the way you eat. Yeah, sad but true, putting a piece of silicone or plastic or whatever it's made of in your belly won't control your mind OR keep your hands from scooping ice cream (a slider food, BTW) into your mouth and swallowing. Only YOU can do that. But here's the thing Fred, it is SOOOOOOOOOO empowering when you learn to take control of your health and well being. Your LAP-BAND®®® helps you do that.

Please read through this forum and do other research about how the band really works. Then, make it work for you. Take your life back! The band has helped so many people. As long as you are not having complications there's no reason you cannot succeed. Shame on your doctor for not giving you better information! Don't give up, you can do this!

Try a few support groups too, it could help.

All the best to you on your journey!

~Fran

Well put Fran. Exactly what I would have said.

Hello,

I was banded on 09/21/10, and since then I have lost only 20 lbs.

GIRL !!!! I was banded a day after you, I am also down 20 pounds but I am psyched! 20 pounds in 5 weeks that is like 4 pounds a week. It took me 3 months to lose a solid 7 pounds pre-op.

20 pounds is a big deal, go to the store and grab a 20 pound bag of dog food and walk around the store for 15 minutes!!!

When my weight stalled I had to start low carb, NOT no carb but pretty low carb to get the scale to move.

Cheri

I have not seen a doctor since being banded in March. The doctors in this hospital group only so the surgery and know nothing about the working of the band, diet, and could probably not even do a fill. That is not the way this group works.

The nurses do everything - fills and counselling and even fluoroscopy fills.

Honestly, I did know prior to surgery that the band may not help a grazer. But I decided to have it anyway. I thought it would help some. However, i can't say it is of any value to me. I could not keep weight off before and I can't do it now. It still takes a willpower that I, just like most overweight people, so not have.

The band may contribute to more grazing because I can not eat as much at meals, so I get hungrier later. So maybe I am need some fill removed. However, I did no better when I was less filled.

Ahhh, Fred, so sorry to hear that the band just isn't working out for you. :thumbup:

But I've got to tell you ... I am really confused:

I have not seen a doctor since being banded in March. The doctors in this hospital group only so the surgery and know nothing about the working of the band, diet, and could probably not even do a fill. That is not the way this group works.

The nurses do everything - fills and counselling and even fluoroscopy fills.

You have a right to see a doctor, Fred, not just a nurse. Perhaps you should switch to another practice. One that is more hands on AND one that gives you better info.

Honestly, I did know prior to surgery that the band may not help a grazer. But I decided to have it anyway. I thought it would help some. However, i can't say it is of any value to me. I could not keep weight off before and I can't do it now. It still takes a willpower that I, just like most overweight people, so not have.

Okay, you've got me stumped here ... you KNEW that the band may not help grazers but decided to get it anyway? You thought it would help "some" based on what? You said you were told that it would likely NOT help grazers. I don't know, but I just don't get that ... I don't understand your reasoning here. Call me crazy, but if I went to the doctor and they told me that putting a cast on my right arm would not help my broken left arm, hmmm I wouldn't tell them to put the cast on my right arm anyway. Hey what the heck do I know ...

The band may contribute to more grazing because I can not eat as much at meals, so I get hungrier later. So maybe I am need some fill removed. However, I did no better when I was less filled.

Still I am confused, you say that maybe you should get some fill removed BUT in the next sentence you say it's still not going to help. Are you SURE you want to lose weight? You seem to be knocking every possibilty for improvement. I AM SOOOOO CONFUSED!

Okay Fred, I am going to catch a lot of flack for not being PC in my response to your last post. Oh well, that's life. I see we are the same age so I'm going to say this: I got the band cuz I was tired of making excuses about why I couldn't lose weight. I did some research before I got the band but not nearly enough. After getting the band and doing more reading and research (btw, my doc wasn't the best band doc either -- but I kept him because he did all my fills personally, would answer ANY question I had and he gave me a fill whenever I felt I needed one) -- particularly on this forum, I learned that the band is about the work I DO, not the work the band does. My weight loss is slow, but steady. If I exercised more, I would lose faster. I have actually incorporated more exercise into my daily life and it has helped. But I accept responsibility for my weight loss and for speed at which I lose. This is ALL ME! I have the power, not the band. I also see a therapist to deal with emotional eating. She is a big help!

You say you are a grazer, well, I will bet dollars to donuts (maybe I should not invoke a dessert food here, but what the heck!) that there are grazers on this forum that have the lapband and have learned to make it work for them. Most likely they changed the foods they grazed on. Whatever they did, it was a change they made in their life because they understand that they can only succeed if they are willing to do the work. You're 54 years old, when are you going to take responsibility for what YOU are doing to yourself? I know that sounds mean, but know this ... I asked MYSELF the very same question ... and the day I was willing to answer it honestly was the day I started changing the way I eat and what I eat and how much exercise I do.

I am not sure what you want from the people on this forum. And, I am sorry if I sound harsh ... but we - you and I - are not young people, we are old enough to look back on a long life and know that if we don't change ourselves ... we can possibly die from weight related illnesses in the not-to-distant future. I know I don't want that, do you? Get a therapist that specializes in obesity. It could really help, but only if you want to change your life. Stop focusing on why you "can't" lose weight and find ways that you "can".

There are a lot of GOOD people on this forum. Many of them are going to lambast me for speaking so frankly. But, you know what, I can take it. We are too old to play games, you and I. It's time to get down to business and change our lives.

Good luck, Fred. I really do wish you the best.

Sorry you are having a hard time. I sympathize with you. My experience has been I am hungry a lot and get a small fill. That small fill pushes me over the edge and I can't keep anything down. Now that I am maintaining I can eat more and have felt much more satisfied. I am afraid to get a fill. After the last 2 or 3 I have had to have unfills. It's an hour to the doctor and 146 dollars to boot. However, I am pleased with the success I have had. I think I expected the band to take away all hunger, and it just doesn't work like that. I disagree with the notion you shouldn't snack. I find they help me keep my hunger under control all day. I typically eat 6 times a day- 3 "meals" and 3 "snacks". My Snacks tend to be just about as large as my meals. I eat lots of lean protien- sticking to a low fat low carb eating plan. I hope things get better for you! Good luck!

Fred,

Bottom line is that the band is just a tool. Whether a grazer or just a problem with Portion Control, we all still have to practice will power.

One of the things that might help you with your grazing is to go low carb (under 30gm a day) and make those carbs vegies only. I find my desire to eat lessens the longer I keep my carbs low. I do Atkins and after a week or so on low carb, I find I actually have to force myself to eat.

Good luck to you. :thumbup:

I was a grazer also... but the band seems to keep me full enough between meals to not want to "graze". Don't get me wrong, I could snack between meals, but I seem to be satisfied enough that with a little will power I don't. Try really hard to change the way you think about food, it's not easy but it is so worth it! Good Luck to you!

I know that we still have the fight with our heads. What I do if I want to munch and I know that I shouldn't eat is I chew gum. For some reason I like to chew and this helps. I had to self pay and so I really focus on how much money I spent and I am determined to make it work. When I get hungry and want a snack I either have cottage cheese or a cheese stick so that I get some Protein and some fruit or veggies. You can do it, you really just need to make some positive notes to post around for you! You are worth it!

I'm a grazer and I have been successful with the band. Do I still eat between meals? Yes - but a lot less than previously and I try to make healthy choices - 90% of the time. Any eating plan should not be all or nothing, often success comes from doing the right thing 90% of the time. If you put foods off limits completely you will crave them more.

So now I eat much smaller meals than before and I eat far less between meals. I am not running back and fore to the fridge every 5 minutes.

I agree with Phranp. You need to stop making excuses and realise that there is no magic cure for being overweight. So far they have not come up with the magic WLS that allows you to eat what you want , when you want and still lose.You are still in charge of what you put in your mouth.

You have the band which is a marvellous tool if YOU WORK WITH IT. If you don't then you have put your body through surgery for nothing.