Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slipage, Now band will never be the same!

I wanted to reach out to see how many other people have maybe had a similar issue. In September 2009 I was looking and feeling great at 135 pounds. I lost 150 pounds in two years and my doctors just could not believe my results. I didn’t work out, the weight just fell off. I had never been happier. I thought that I would never struggle with my weight again. Well in December I started coughing at night, throwing up all the time, thought I had an ulcer and was eating tums like crazy and had to stand up to eat. Then I started noticing my weight creep up about 10 pounds. I went to the doctor asked for a fill and ended up finding out that my doctor was concerned that my band had slipped. Sure enough my upper GI confirmed it did. My band had been to tight for about three months and even though I knew something wasn’t right, I liked the results and so I didn’t say anything until I started gaining weight. So in January they removed all of my Fluid. I went on a three month liquid diet. Finally in March they started adding the CC's back one at a time. Now I am back to the same CC as before I went to tight. The only problem is, my band DOES NOT work the same. I have gained more weight and I am up to 173. You would think that if my band is tight again, that there would be no problems getting that weight off, but it won’t move. I went from a size 5 to a size 10 in 6 months. While I know that I should not complain about being a 10, I am so unhappy. I really thought that I would never have to face this struggle again. Is it possible that my band will not work anymore? I just don’t know how this happened to me. I am very discouraged!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I had somewhat kind of similar problem. Had a major slip in June of this year. Even saw it on fluoroscopy Most of my stomach was above the band. Once fill was removed, it dropped back down and evverything was where it was supposed to be. They then took the next five months to slowly refill it. It was up to 8.5cc with still no restriction. Do a fill under fluoro and they take it up to 10 (in an 11cc band). Well that was all well and good until I actually ate solid food and I was blocked again. So surgeon decided to do a revision. That was last week. When he got in I had a major adhesion to my spleen. He separated the took, did 100 micro staples...didn't see anything wrong with the band and didn't feel the adhesions would have been tthe cause, so he removed the band. So I've spent 10k bucks for nothing. I hadn't gotten to goal weight but I'm only 25 lbs out but mainteannce was always my issue. He is more than happy to go back in and do a sleeve or a bypass...NOT. So I'm going for a second opinion because I'm just not sure how the adhesions could not have been an issue.

But after the major slip in June, getting restriction was a joke. So you would think that something does change.

Good luck

I had the same issue. I'd been doing great and started to gain weight. I had a slip and a very stretched esophagas. I tried my best to get things back in place but every time I was filled it just happened again. I ended up having my band removed last October and continued fighting the insurance company for the full revision. After regaining almost all of my weight I decided to self-pay and revised to a sleeve in June.

I couldn't be happier with the sleeve. I've lost 45 pounds since June and feel fantastic. The sleeve is night and day when compared to the band - no stuck food, no sliming and no hunger. Also, my recovery was easier which seems odd. I can eat a small amount of anything, never have any pain or sliming and don't feel like eating again for hours. Because your body doesn't product the hunger hormone grehlin any more, most sleevers don't feel hungry. I feel empty sometimes but that's about it.

Since I was a revision I really didn't didn't expect to lose 45 pounds in 4 months. As long as I keep working it I see no reason why I can't be at goal within the year. I came within 20 pounds of goal when my band slipped.

If you are considering a revision it might be worth talking to a surgeon about the sleeve.

Britt

my surgeon is really pushing for the sleeve. thinks he can even get insurance to cover it. My big concern though is the fact that I had all the adhessions and now a hundred staples. With the band and the complications, I still had a chance for a do-over. If I have compolications with the sleever, there is no do-over and not sure what would happen if I again had the adhesion problem. I see him again on Tuesday for followup from the surgery and I will have lots more questions at that time. Most postings I read of people with the sleever are thrilled with it.

thanks

trisha

I had intended to get the sleeve until 2 days before my surgery my insurance (Blue Cross Federal) suddenly denied my authorization. So, they agreed to the band and I have been fairly happy with it. The sleeve was by far my first choice, though, and the one my surgeon thought would work best. Only you can decide what is the besy choice in this difficult position, but I wanted to share my history and the fact that I would have preferred the sleeve. Good luck and best wishes to you!

I am so sorry about the problems you are having. Unfortunately, I completely understand what you are going through. My band worked perfect for the first year or so. Then I had a major slip. From that day on, I was miserable. Nothing was ever right with it again. I even had two more slips after that. My problem was, even with no fill, my band was too tight. I should have been losing weight based on that, but, I needed some sort of food and the only thing I could get past my band was ice cream. Man, did I become a fan of Peanut Butter tracks ice cream! It is what I lived on for almost a year, I kid you not!

So, I understand what you are going through. When the band is working, it is a wonderful tool. When it isn't, it can make life very difficult. My heart goes out to you and I hope you are able to resolve your problems and continue to meet your goals.

I am so sorry about the problems you are having. Unfortunately, I completely understand what you are going through. My band worked perfect for the first year or so. Then I had a major slip. From that day on, I was miserable. Nothing was ever right with it again. I even had two more slips after that. My problem was, even with no fill, my band was too tight. I should have been losing weight based on that, but, I needed some sort of food and the only thing I could get past my band was ice cream. Man, did I become a fan of Peanut Butter tracks ice cream! It is what I lived on for almost a year, I kid you not!

So, I understand what you are going through. When the band is working, it is a wonderful tool. When it isn't, it can make life very difficult. My heart goes out to you and I hope you are able to resolve your problems and continue to meet your goals.

I'm with you Susan ! when it works it is a wonderful tool , when it does not it can be a nightmare.

I have been a fan of Peanut Butter in a spoon and ice cream also . I get down what I can and now I'm afraid to eat anything until I find out exactly what is wrong with me as food literally just goes straight through.

My new Dr . wanted me to have an Rx of Cipro ; I declined after reading the reviews on the drug. Awful. !

I have a fluoroscopy scheduled for Feb. 11 so the Surgeon can watch what is happening , a barium spill also .

Has anyone else had their band removed and opted for a sleeve instead? I don't know if this is even do-able for me but it is just a question .

Feeling everyone's pain here...literally! I had a slip and mine hasn't been the same since, either. After all the trauma and misery and failed attempts at re-filling, my doctor and I have decided to remove and replace the band with a new one. Surgery is scheduled for February 9th, so I'm really hoping to get back on track soon. I was SO close to goal when things went haywire! :(

Good luck to everyone here...I really hope we all find our much needed solutions!

Well after my slip a year ago, I went back to the doctor on Friday and confirm that the reason that I had not lost any weight in the last year was because the band slipped yet again. It was decided after two slips now that I would proceed with revisional surgery. I will be having gastric bypass surgery sometime within the next month or so. I am waiting on a surgery date now. While I had great results from my band at first, 5 years later and two slips has made it time to say goodbye. I am 100 pounds lighter because of the lap band so I do not think it was a total failure. However, I need to look forward at longevity of weightloss and therefore think that gastric bypass is right for me. So bye, bye to my band. :(

Just an update. I had a new band put in. Haven't had my first fill yet but even with no fill, I can tell the difference. Have only lost about five pounds since surgery but have been sick with the flu for almost two weeks and drinking way too much higher caloried juices. I go for my first fill in two weeks. On the day of surgery, even though surgeon had been pushing for the sleeve, when he popped his head in the door at the last minute just to double check what I wanted to do I told him I only wanted the band, if at all possible. The sleeve was still an option for him, once he got in, if there was too much scar tissue to do the band. But he said he didn't have any problems. This time has gone really well so far. Port doesn't stick out like a goose-egg like my first one. So hoping this time around with a much more experienced surgeon, that it all goes well.

Trisha

HI. Hope everyone is doing well now. Question for everyone with the revisions- If you had done well with the band, lost a good amount of weight, how do you get the insurance to cover the revision??

The way my first surgeon explained it was that it took the band to lose the initial weight and to keep comorbidities under control. That if you could do it without the band, you wouldn't have had it in the first place. I absolutely had no problems with my insurance company. So much so, that they even approved two different procedures should I not be able to have the band the second time around, because of scar tissue or whatever, which almost no insurance company gives you a blank check basically for two procedures. My thought is that my first surgeon screwed up and maybe this is why the approval process went so well. Could I prove he screwed up, no, but my spleen and stomach adhesed together, which doesn't just happen on its own. It was only his fourth band and my thought is that his laparoscopic instruments touched on organs they didn't need to. There were lots of issues with the fills, lots of slips. I would think if they don't approve it, there are attorneys that specialize in appealing insurance companies decisions, which I would go that route in a heart beat. My problem was I was concerned that even doing a band after they had to staple my stomach where they separated the stomach from the spleen, whether I could even get another surgeon to redo it. But luckily I did, and even more luckily my first surgeon removed the first band properly, so that second surgeon had no problem putting new band in.

Good luck and don't take no without a fight.

Trisha

Glad to hear that you are doing well. Sorry that your first band wasn't a success. Have they used the same type of band this time or switched?

All the best.

While I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem, I truly am sad to see your stories! I was banded January 2010 and even though I struggled at times (I had several times where I had to have Fluid out of my 12cc band, weeks after a fill, or during a particularly stressful time at work) I was happy with the progress I was making. In December, I had a fill under fluroscopy and drank barium (sp?), just to make sure everything was how it should be and it was. About two months ago, I started having major stomach acid, reflux and vomiting. (I blamed work - I tend to internalize stress!) I had a small unfill and at this time, I only had less than 4ccs total in my band; have never had more than 6cc. The vomiting continued, even after Aciphex and anti-anxiety meds, until I couldn't even keep Water in me. Went back to my wonderful surgical nurse and she took EVERYTHING out (3ccs). This helped me keep fluid down, but no food. Two days later, I vomited blood and got myself to the hospital. My band surgeon met me there, and I drank barium under flouro...that's when I heard the dreaded "s" word - my band had slipped. He said I needed surgery immediately, where they would either re-position the band or remove it. I told him that I wanted to keep it if possible and he said it depended on the state of the tissue once they got in there. They were able to re-position the band and also fixed a hiatal hernia, and now I'm back to re-learning how to eat after banding surgery. I'm scared that this will happen again and I'm in a lot of pain - my throat is just raw and my tummy area is extremely tender. Thanks for sharing your stories - it helps to know I'm not alone!