Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4oz's does not equal 1/2 cup!

This really puzzeled me too. I am pretty sure I am eating more than 1/2 a cup. I mainly eat Protein. I have lost 28 pounds since surgery 5 weeks ago. I have not had a fill yet because I am satisfied with my food amounts (can go 4 hours between meals, no snacking) and have steady weight loss. I can't imagine eating less than I already do.

I eat a cup of food at every meal. At Breakfast, sometimes I make a scramble of 1/2 cup potato, peppers, ham mix and one egg. It really looks like a lot of food.

Thank you SO much for posting this question and all the replies! My nutritionist at the Surgeons office told me to eat 4oz of lean Protein with 2 oz of fruit OR veggies three times a day. The first time I measured out the 4 oz of chicken or steak I just about died ... it covers about half my plate! NEVER have I ever seen anywhere in nutrition books etc to eat half a plate full of meat! LOL Then a few days ago I saw that it said 1 cup of food when I measured the 4 oz and I just about died again! Its so much food and now I'm worried its going to be stretching my pouch. Does anyones surgeon say to eat this way??

oops...just noticed this is an old thread and I already responded.

Well my surgeon states 4-6 oz of solid Protein and if I am still hungry vegetables. He compares 4-6 oz to two Dixie cups(they are 3 oz each). He has me very tight so I fit way less than this of solid. But other things can slide down if I am not careful so I try to stay with the solids. He compares this to maybe 2-3 chicken nuggets.

Point in case: I made whole wheat penne and turkey meatballs(frozen, cocktail size like what you would see in a crockpot at Christmas). I ate three meatballs barely and maybe two bites of penne. So I would be safe to say this is less than 4-6 oz. I had less than a cup of chicken tortilla Soup at lunch that I had got at a Mexican restaurant. I also had a Protein shake for breakfast. I also had a few nibbles of this and that but nothing to gripe about. I have lost 80 since January so I am happy and physically satisfied. I can eat most anything just very little of it. Some things I just don't eat not wanting to wrestle with it. I eat what I like. I also exercise and choose better options. I also attend Weight Watchers meetings for the accountability and comraderie.

I know my dr's told me my pouch will hold up to 4 oz's but I may feel fuller longer. THis is actually what they sent me before surgery

"To maximize the effectiveness of the band, we recommend you eat solid foods. Eat lean Protein (chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, fish, and beans) first, then your vegetables (salad, crisp steamed vegetables) and at the end of your meal if you have room left have a few bites of carbohydrates (whole wheat bread, Pasta or brown rice). By eating your Protein foods first you are ensuring you get an adequate amount of protein your body needs before getting full. Protein assist with healing, maintaining muscle mass, preventing hair loss, providing a source of energy and it is digested slowly so it helps maintain a sense of fullness."

also

"From this point forward your daily goals are as follows:

1000-1200 calories

20 grams of fat

60-80 grams of protein

150-180 grams of carbohydrates

25 grams of Fiber

25 grams or less of sugar (Exceptions: fresh fruit and milk – they contain natural sugars) "

I thnk based upon those guidelines I have to make my own judgement calls. I was told to try 2 oz (weighed) of protien, then a half cup of veggies (measured) then my carbs (if they fit) til Im full. Obviously I will know (I hope) whether I need more protien if I map out my diet on a regular basis. Hope this helps

I was told 3oz solid Protein first at meals. After that 1/4 cup veg and 1/4 cup whole grain starch. He allows me 2 small Snacks but they must be protein. My dr also said to chew well but NOT to mush because that will slip thru my band quickly and not trigger the nerves and hormones to create satiety. He told me protein is supposed to hang out in the pouch for awhile. He says if I precut my bites to pencil eraser sized, I can chew small bites normally. Just another instance of how Drs differ.