Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on you post op liquid diet?

I am on day 7 post op, and I am hungry...even a yogurt at this point would be a god send!...dr says no mushy foods until the 25th...that is 19 days of liquid! I so want food! Anyone else going or has gone through this? My surgery was on the morning of the 6th....

I was on full liquids the week after surgery, then mushies for a week and then solid food. Seems like some dr's progress patients more quickly than others. Since your so hungry, I would call the office and see if you can progress sooner. Hang in there, it gets lots better. Good luck in your journey.

I had my surg on the 6th to and i am eating pudding and cream Soup and it has been fine.. I also needed something so I tried it and know what doesnt work no applesauce yet didnt work. Good Luck

Yes, but not like others have fessed up to. I am too afraid of screwing up my stomach this early on to blow it with regular foods. I ate hard boiled egg, a tiny, tiny bit of rice in Tomato Soup which my body didn't process....I'll leave it at that. When I told my doctor yesterday at my two week post op visit he wasn't too bothered, but he is strict about the next two weeks of soft foods with a huge no no towards any starches. I can't eat any Pasta, rice, bread, potatoes for the next year.

Right now I am on lots of soft Proteins. I just ate a tiny piece of organic beef meatloaf that had all of these great vegetable purees mixed in. I never would have known had I not actually read the label on the container. I am glad that I am getting some vegetables in because I can't stomach the thought of eating a mushed up pureed vegetable on its own. I like my veggies raw or cooked so they still have texture and a good bite to them. I washed that down with some baby food apples and apricots with added Fiber. Yum yum! One meal at a time,one day at a time.

3 weeks of liquids is harsh. I had 7 days Clear Liquids, and 7 days full liquids and then could move to mushies which included yoghurt. In regards to full liquids; I really like Pacific brand roasted sweet red pepper and Tomato Soup. It is "organic" so you might need to look in the "natural/organic" part of the grocery store. I found a great price for it at costco. Bought a package of 6 for when I have fills. Also I added Mrs Dash spice mix to the Soup before heating. Mrs Dash is salt free and adds a lot of flavor to the soup.

I was 1 week clear, 1 week full liquids which they included yogurt, and now I am on pureed. I find it really interesting how different the doctors are in what they allow. I won't get to a regular diet until week 6.

Edited by jkppt
sp

My surgery was on Sept 30th and I was supposed to start mushies this Friday. When I went to the Dr this past Monday they told me I could start mushies today but no more than 1 ounce per meal and I do carnation instant breakfasts in between 3 times a day. I was on carnation instant Breakfast 3 times a day with sugar free liquids in between since the day after ny surgery. I would not risk cheating and starting off this journey on the wrong foot. I went through too much to ruin what I have started.

Im a week Post Op and today I had some Egg Drop Soup. No issues at all. Im not pushing it though. I'll stay on full liquids for another week, but have a bit of mush mixed in.

Tommorow is some low fat ricotta cheese for me.

My Doctor ordered three days of clear liquids pre-op, which I started on Monday 10/04. Surgery was on on Thurs 10/07, and I am suppose to only have clear liquids for this first week. It has been very difficult for me. At times I feel very hungry... and yet often I feel like I just cannot injest any more... broth, or protien drink or sugar free jello!!

Week Two begins officially in a few short hours, and according to my Doctor's orders can include Cream of Wheat & yorgurt. Since I am so hungry this evening, I decided to have a 1/2 cup portion of cream of wheat. It was good. No problems. Can't say I am less hungry-- but it is a step.

Right now trying to keep focus on one little step at a time. I very much appreciate being able to sign in here and read other people's experiences -- it does help.

I had 14 day liquids before and 7 after, I managed to make it through. Stay strong, it's only a small price to pay for the long term goals.

Thanks everyone...My dr is known as a hard ass around here, but he really is a great surgeon...I am just worried about damaging my stomach...knowing that other people are like 2 weeks out and eating yogurt and cream of wheat helps...I am going to try to hang in there with full liquids, that is just Protein Shakes, Water, and crystal lite for as long as possible, but the 25th seems so far away!!!

I am on day 7 post op, and I am hungry...even a yogurt at this point would be a god send!...dr says no mushy foods until the 25th...that is 19 days of liquid! I so want food! Anyone else going or has gone through this? My surgery was on the morning of the 6th....

My post op liquid phase was one week, but after surgery day i could have "full liquids" and had some thin Soup, pudding, jell-o and was just fine... well, actually most days all i could do was slowly drink one Slim Fast, but i knew the other stuff was available. The guideline was liquid, or becomes liquid at body temperature.

Now, the night before I was allowed to begin pureed and mushy foods I was craving Hot Dogs (and i HATE hot dogs) so I cooked one, ran it through a rough chop in my food pro (very tiny chopped, like a diced onion) and very very carefully chewed each piece individually... i only had like 1/4 of a hot dog but man was it nice to have something "real". I still don't really like Hot Dogs, and they are on my "naughty list" from the nutritionist... but i figured I was SO LOW on liquids (not hitting 200 cal most days) that I figured it'd be OK.

My liquids include yogurt, ricotta, and cottage cheese. Today, my family ordered Chinese and I ate the filling of two crab rangoons, which I rationalized because it's the same texture as ricotta. :smile:

I also had hot and sour Soup, but only the broth, so that's not cheating!

I did liquids for 2 weeks before my surgery and that was harder than after the surgery. I think the main reason for the long liquid diet is to give you a good chance to heal before making the stomach actually have to work at digesting. At least that is my rationalization to stay on my prescribed diet. :smile: