Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: would you do it over again?

How do you feel overall about being banded:  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you feel overall about being banded:

• I am overall pleased with my band and happy with my decision. I would do it all over again.
    • I am not overall pleased, but I'd still get banded if I had to do it over again.
    • I am not pleased with my band, I would not get banded if I had it to do over.
    • I have been unbanded, or I plan to be unbanded soon b/c it's that bad.

I think that there are very good doctor's in Mexico and surgeries are and can be very successful. I work in a hospital that has a Bariatric Program and I work closely with the medical director of that program. He has mentioned to me that people who get banded in Mexico have trouble at times finding doctors who will assist them with complications (although rare) and fills because of the liability they are afraid of.

And that is coming from the bariatric program themselves. But other people I see on the board have no problems at all finding fill doctors. So, go figure!

Even after all that i've gone through with the band, and then having it replaced with a larger band 3 days after surgery I would do it AGAIN FOR SURE!

I've lost almost 100 lbs.. in less than a year. I have never felt this good or looked this good.

But.. with that being said i will point out.. dont have the band if you dont have good insurance or the cash to pay for problems.. my bill was $70,000 thank god for insurance!

And, complications DO happen i had a friend who was so convinced going to Mexico was great idea blah blah its cheap and she only needed to loose 60 lbs.. well thats crap imo she was so convinced NOTHING could go wrong. She actually told me that US surgeons arent as good as mexican ones..

I dont even talk to her anymore because i cant stand when ppl are not willing to open their eyes especially when a close friend DID have problems. I wasnt mad she was getting the band.. i was mad she wouldnt own up to that there things go wrong and that having your surgeon clear across the country is not the best ideas without a good followup surgeon close to home.. her answer was that her support group has never had anyone with problems.. wtf gawd ppl suck =)

anyways.... id recommend it to anyone who knows what they are getting themselves into and yes id do it again!

It seems to me that getting banded in Mexico is not the real issue. The real issue is that U.S. doctors don't want to do aftercare or work with peopl that have been banded by someone else.

I LOVE the good ol' USA - but this problem is being caused by U.S. doctors, and the blame is being put on the Mexican doctors.

Even Dr. Pleatman - who watches this board said that the U.S. doctor's will charge up to $1,000. for a fill - to "punish" people who had their surgery done in Mexico.

Fat people are still treated like crap by a lot of doctor's in the u.s.

I would do it all over again although I admit this site and the reported numerous problems make me worry constantly.

I don't like worry and the band does worry me. I try to get my body to accept the band and I try to work with the band.

I feel the same way alot of the time. I PBed really bad the other day & after all was done I had some Water & it was the strangest feeling of a "Pop or Movement" It scares the hell out of me that it may be slipped. But I guess I'll never know till I have a test done & since I still have restriction I need to stop worrying.

So far I'd say I would do it again but I would wish that the learning curve was less for me. I seem to take a LOOOONNNNNGGG Time to learn & impliment rules when it comes to my own body:0) I still haven't started a good exercise routine & I am 6 months out.Ohh the Shame of it all!;0) On the plus side I am today 30 pds down & the most I have ever lost on a "diet" was 35...... so onward & downward!

And, despite what anyone says about how experienced the Mexican surgeons are, I doubt anyone goes there solely because of the Mexican doctors' experience; people go because it's cheaper. And part of the cheaper cost is the problem in finding a local doctor for fills/treatment.

Kind of for me. I seriously considered staying in the US for my surgery. I could have found a US doc to do it for a few thousand more, no doubt. I looked into Texas and Michigan...but I still would have needed local after care. I still would have needed to travel by plane for fills or to see my band doc. Add to that my MX doc has been doing bands for almost a decade and has placed thousands more than US docs had, and he has a good reputation, at that. So, I guess what I did was go for the experienced doc. That's the one thing he had over the US docs that I liked.

I did NOT go to MX without first lining up my local aftercare doc...he's an hour+ drive from home. I can handle that.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I would definaltely do it all over again. Have had no problems as of yet. Haven't gotten to my "Sweet pot" yet with fills but it will come eventually.

I would do it over and over again if I had to. I am a lucky one that got to stay right here in my hometown to get it done. I have wonderful insurance. I have had great follow up care and I feel very good about that. So YES I would do it again no questions asked.

I think the after care problems start with the U.S. Doctors - not the Mexican surgeons. U.S. doctors are unwilling to do the aftercare for people banded in Mexico. So if we are looking to place blame - let's put it where it belongs. U.S. doctors that don't want to do fills or aftercare for patients other than there own.

If you bought a car from one dealership and NO other dealership would EVER service it - seems to me that car of yours could cause you some problem.

There's lots of money to be made by U.S. doctor's doing fills for people who have been banded in Mexico - why don't they hop on it. The do with everything else. Don't forget it is a business.

I think they use the liability thing as an excuse.

One of the doctors here has explained why he doesn't do fills...he is a surgeon, he doesn't have time to do fills all day.

And really, its a free country, if they don't want to do fills for other doctors they don't have too. Thats part of the research involved when you get the lapband. Yes it sucks and makes it harder for people who can only afford to go to Mexico, but I'm not going to bash US surgeons for choosing to take care of their own first. I already have a hard enough time getting in to see my surgeon, i'd hate to think of what it would be like if she did a fill clinic too.

However, if you are a self-pay with limited resources, or your only option is Mexico, don't do it. The initial approximate $10,000 is nothing in comparison to what an emergency procedure might cost. Be prepared - the band is a very expensive tool for the rich and/or insured.

>>>>>>>>>>>.this makes me almost feel like crying.. I will never have any money at all..

already my face is droopy in a way I cried about..

It is so stupid to feel depressed over all this new hanging fat... I sometimes think I rather be fat and solid than this saggy thing..

BUt I KNOW.. its JUST different than what I had became used to and settled with and adapted to..

Its BETER I know it is.

BUT if I lose my band before I am healthier. and I gain the weight back..

I WILL prolly kill myself and thats not an exaggeration.

I already made this descision when I knew it was a possibility to die of complications of the gastric bypass.. Then when I didnt think I could lose the prereque weight for the band.. IF this doesnt help..

I REFUSE TO be a burdon on my kids and family any more! I dont think its a bad thing and I will be sure they all think its a tragic car accident is all to minimize their pain. I have been in over 5 at fault accidents. so.. Lol

anyway..

Even though I haven't been a smashing success with my weight loss, I believe I will bite anyone who trys to remove my band. And we are not talking nibbles, we are talking fercious snarling and great big slavering fangs. And I'll give them rabies too, just for good measure.

US docs don't just not want to treat MX patients, they are reluctant to treat patients that went to other US docs. And for a socity that is as moble and transient as ours... trouble for all of us. I do know that with my experience of being banded in Seattle and trying to get fills in SE ID has been a trial. The clinic that I use has recently started trying to create a network with other LapBand docs so that when we travel or move to other parts of the country, we, and by extention, others, will have better aftercare.

Even with all the "side-affects" I would definitely do it all over again. This is the most successful I have ever been with weight loss and I am more than on target of meeting my first goal of 100 lbs the first year.

Good luck to everyone!

Anyone who is discouraged by some of the threads on this site should now see that over 100 people are 100% happy with thier bands! That's GREAT!!!

I would do it over in a heart beat. I not only have lost 75 pounds since banded on Aug 22, 2005 I have learned alot of things about myself. The first being that I did this to myself. I always said that I was heavy and I did not really know why. I truly did not think that I ate that much. Now I know that I truly did. I also realized that there is not a magic pill out there that will just take all the damage away that I have done to myself. I am responsible for myself. I did not put the weight on overnight and I will not take it off overnight. The band is a tool not a sure way to loose weight. Being overweight is not any different from being addicted to drugs or alcohol it is just a different addiction. We have to live with the addiction everyday. I am responsbile for me not my band. Of course my band will let me know if I ate the wrong food. I think alot of people can loose weight but if you don't change your frame of mind and thinking and are able to except yourself and forgive yourself then you will be a skinny unhappy person. Just remember that not all skinny people are happy and not all fat people are unhappy:>

What Penni said, something like:

I would NOT go to Mexico

I would fight my insurance co tooth and nail to get them to cover.

I would find a US doc that would place the band and let me do it in payments.

I would NOT go to Mexico

I would NOT go to Mexico

Are you getting the picture?

Add one: Not if I had to travel more than an hour for band maintenance, complications, fills, etc.