Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill

Ok, so I've only been banded for two weeks and I've got my post op appointment with the Dr tomorrow so I'm sure we will discuss this but does everyone have to get a fill? I am just now coming off the all Clear Liquids part of the diet and yesterday I got to have some cottage cheese. I am thinking that I might be ok with just the band in place or am I dealing with feelings of "not full" that would be better if I get a fill? What's the difference - what do you guys actually feel like?

No one is required to get a fill. There should always be discussion between you and your doctor prior to a fill. If you are happy with your satiety level and losing at a good rate, you can wait on a fill. There are bandsters who have lost all their weight without getting a fill.

Oops, sorry I posted in the Men's room...didn't see the forum.....(bows out gracefully now)

Probably just a follow up visit. Normally you will not come in for 4-6 weeks for the first and subsequent fills.

You prob wont get a fill, you are still adjusting and swolen so no. I was only starting soft foods at 2-3 weeks. If I remember it was a few months untill my first fill.

I think you asked how it feels, instead shall I get a fill. Well here is the answer. After the surgery you will feel full and cant even drink a glass of Water. Some has this for weeks and some has for days. This has nothing to do with your band's restriction but surgery. This will go away. Some people can eat the way they did before. Honestly I couldn't. I had often food stuck and my portion size was small. Yet, I wasn't losing any weight. So I got my first fill (i have a 14 cc band and got 5,5). At first I realized more food getting stuck and even in small quantities. Yet, I said to myself, I am not losing weight I need another fill. Now, after few weeks, i realized that I should not do that because If I get another fill I will have more episodes of stuck food which is not fun. I cant breath, I cant talk, I cant move, I cant even vomit so an hour long torture. I can now see that I am learning to eat slowly, chew chew chew and eat small portions. Also I feel less hungry. I also started gym and saw pounds coming off.

So, you will fill restricted maybe not same as what you have now as a post-op but you should learn from your first fill and only do the second one if you really dont feel anything.

Adjustments are like a drug to me. I love the feeling when the needle hits the port. I love getting a chance to see my surgeon and talk. I've only had three thus far and number 3 has been very good to me.

I am going to get one in January and hopefully be set for a few more months.

It just sucks that I am 6 hours from my surgeon by car. The local surgeon is rude and criticizes my progress and how my surgeon did the procedure. I wish I could tell him off because I love the progress and everything my surgeon has done for me.

Sorry to rant off topic.

Usually, they wouldn't give you a fill that soon. The first appointment is pretty much just a check up to make sure you're OK. Band rules are that the first fill is usually after 6 weeks and you don't have to get one if you're still doing well. After 2 weeks, I really wanted a fill but didn't get one.