Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Negative comments about getting LapBand

I really want to get lapband done. I have already attended a seminar and I am going to proceed with trying to get lapband surgery performed. I have a half sister that I thought I was close with until I told her that I was thinking about getting lapband. She was very rude and nasty to me, she started saying that I am getting it because I am lazy, which is definitely not the case. She said that I would put ALL my weight back on if I were to get pregnant. She was saying how she did this and that to lose weight and I did nothing. Not true I went to the gym four times a week for an hour and still had no luck. Has anyone else encountered negativity such as this when it came to revealing your lapband secret? :smile2:

You should do what makes you happy and no one else. My friends are doing to same to me and I haven't talked to them in over a week. Either they support me or there not real friends.

Luke

You can't let others, no matter who they are, decide your health matters. She will either come around and see that u are serious, or not. Don't let her stand in your way. My sis was not happy when I told her, but that will not stop me. Other than her, the only ones I've told so far are my hubby and kids. No one else needs to know. Go ahead with your plans and she will probably mellow out.

My surgery is Wed the 6th... getting nervous, LOL.

there really is nothing worse when people throw their and others weight loss in your face.

my uncle did this to me told me how my brothers lost the weight and that i can do it by cutting one food i loved out of my diet (i wish that was the case to lose 100LBs) my fathers side of the family refuses to support me. but i have a couple of people that do and thats all i need i know whats right for me and they dont!

ps. i also got the whole you will gain it all back and youre going to sick forever and that since we are both young i got that as well the whole " i could understand if you were in your 40's but not now" yea let me weight 20 more years to gained 100+ more pounds rather than solve my issue now

be strong i know im trying to be :smile2:

The only person that I would even listen to other than the Doctors is my Wife. She supports me 100% on which Surgery I choose. She is just really scared of me getting the Gastic Bypass.

I just cant believe how many people in the world there seem to be that think its OK to do this.

Everyone here knows how blunt I can be but I would NEVER say something like that to someone. I might think it, I mean we all know people who have literally done nothing about their weight ever and then think this will be a magic solution. But you would always be encouraging, polite and even hopeful for them no matter what you privately thought, wouldnt you? You might even gossip behind someone's back about it, but not to their face.

My mum did this a little, but that was genuine concern and worry, if you're sure its not that, I'd just ignore it and realise you're doing this for YOU and not many other people's opinions really matter.

Most everyone I know has been supportive of my decision, but there are the occasional "WHAT? All you have to do is BLAH BLAH BLAH to lose weight!!!"

Obviously the blah blah blah hasn't worked for me right?

:smile2:

It's a personal choice, don't let anyone make the choice for you.

I really want to get LAP-BAND® done. I have already attended a seminar and I am going to proceed with trying to get LAP-BAND® surgery performed. I have a half sister that I thought I was close with until I told her that I was thinking about getting LAP-BAND®. She was very rude and nasty to me, she started saying that I am getting it because I am lazy, which is definitely not the case. She said that I would put ALL my weight back on if I were to get pregnant. She was saying how she did this and that to lose weight and I did nothing. Not true I went to the gym four times a week for an hour and still had no luck. Has anyone else encountered negativity such as this when it came to revealing your LAP-BAND® secret? :smile2:

I've experienced this a little..so I have narrowed down whom I will even tell..it's a personal medical decision. I keep my eye on the end goal "In 2 years I will have lost most or all of the weight and be reaping the reward of a healthier mind and body"...I'm pretty sure by then I won't care what people have said. It's easy and maybe even fun for some people to judge a situation they've never been in.

I have came to the conclusion that people get a little green because they know if you have the surgery you will really lose the weight this time and they have a hard time wrapping their head around the fact they you might just look better than them when it's all said and done! (Wow that was a long sentence)! LOL!

It is a shame how when I am big I am fun to hang with, but as soon as I want to better my self my sister wants to find ways too put me down. Green can be an ugly color.

I say do what you want and don't let your sister change your mind. I've only told a few people because I

made my decision to have the surgery and the only opinion that really mattered was

my husband, and he's been completely supportive.

I am feeling some of this as well. I was banded Thursday 9/30. I pretty much told anyone I needed to that I was having the surgery and mostly people were supportive but some acted like I am crazy. I have a lower BMI, 35 but I am also only 5' tall. I hate hearing oh your not big enough for that or you could do it by yourself. Then I feel obligated to tell people my starting weight was 197 before pre op diet. I also have sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I HATE feeling like I have to justify it to others. My mother in law actually told my husband "that doesn't work for most people, I hope it works out for her" I just don't get why people can't support you and see the reasons I am doing this. I have four kids ages 17,9,6, and 3 I want to be around for them!, they deserve a happy healthy role model.

I've been very lucky because my family has been very supportive. I think when people disapprove YOUR medical decision it's because now you've changed the dynamic of your relationship. Fat people tend to try and fade into the background and not create waves. We also defer to other people going along with their decisions.

Everyone in my family has been very supportive. The only issues I have had are my friends.

I have only shared my pending surgery with my husband, daughter (not even my adult son), my secretary, and two friends (one who was banded about 15 months ago.) I am very reluctant to share with any others, including some family members, because of the negative attitudes. I also have a long history of losing weight only to gain it back so I myself am apprehensive as well and feel the more people that know the more pressure I will feel. At this point in my decision I am focusing on me and my health as well as my mental well being related to me self image. Those that know and are supportive are just the bonuses!