Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Struggle

Today is day 2 of my liquid diet and I'm not exactly thrilled about not being able to eat anything for the next 2 weeks. However, I will say that I found the Protein Shakes to taste much better than I could've imagined them too. I just dont see why I can't have a little Soup broth or something. Has anyone else struggled thru this process or am I the only one still craving something to eat?

I was banded yesterday morning and had to do a one week liquid diet beforehand.

I struggled terribly for the first few days. I was to have Protein shakes, broth, sugar free pudding cups, sugar free popsicles, tea, black coffee, etc.

After about the fourth or fifth day things go better. Yes, I found myself to be ravenous, but still, the rotten little voice in my head tried to tempt me to indulge. I have been following the "Shrink Yourself" emotional eating program and I learned the tools you need to conquer those negative "suggestions" that make it seem as if food is calling to you (it didn't just call to me..it SCREAMED to me:)

Now that I've been banded, I have no desire to really eat a thing.Im forcing myself to get down some shakes, thin Soup, popsicles, milk, etc..

Don't worry...the feeling of accomplishment that accompanies adherence to a tough liquid diet is worth it (and your surgeon will be very proud of you when he sees how pristine your liver looks:)

I did lose 10.2 lbs in 1 week, and that definitely helped my mindset. Good luck!!! Don't hesitate to contact me if you need some support!

I had a 2 week pre-op diet of Protein shakes and Soup broth, etc. It was the medi-fast diet and by day three I was ready to eat my arm. I called my nutritionist at the practice and she let me have "pure protein" which basically meant I ate nothing but lean turkey, chicken and lean cheese for the two weeks and supplemented with Protein Shakes and broth.< /p>

I just drastically cut my carbs to less than 15 per day and was fine for surgery. My liver was good and flat and I lost like 15 lbs. The carbs and sugar are what makes your liver fatten up.

You could call your nutritionist and ask. Mine was more flexible and honestly - I think that helped. Then I went back to liquids after surgery for the first three or four days and then pureed Protein after that. :thumbup:

Good luck - it will go fast. I promise!

Thank you guys so much :) I really needed this. :thumbup:

I am going into day 7 of liquids only and it has gotten a LOT easier. :unsure:

Hang in there!

I am on day 7 of my pre-op diet. 5 Opti-Fast shakes per day. Thats it. Days 2 and 3 were the worst for me! I was miserable...not hungry.....massive headaches and absolutely no energy to speak of. Now I feel great. i have lost 10.5 lbs however, I am still struggling mentally with the food. It is hard for me to be alone...thats when the food calls me from the pantry. But I just keep thinking it is ALL worth it in the end!!!! You can do it!!!

i am so glad i logged onto here just now to reread these comments because i swear to God i just pulled out a small piece of salmon about to throw it in the oven cause my head is killing me and i feel so weak. Now I'm going to make me a Protein Shake.< /p>

ebeeze-

You can do it! Step away from the salmon :unsure: You will feel so much better in the end when you can truly say that you were 100% compliant pre-operatively!

Keep your chin up:)

Nora

I am on Day 8 of my 14 day pre-op diet. It stinks! It is SO not what we're used to. BUT, it is necessary to accomplish our goals. I was weak, had head aches, and thought I was going to pass out from starvation. But I made it through it and so will you. Be strong!!! I was amazed at how often I could curb my appetite by drinking lots of Water. It's only a short term sacrifice for a lifelong goal. You can do it!