Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inches V.S. Pounds

Anyone ever hear of losing inches over pounds. It’s been about 4 weeks since surgery and my weight really has not moved. I seem to see my body measurement’s coming down but not the weight....

Am I alone?

Anyone ever hear of losing inches over pounds. It’s been about 4 weeks since surgery and my weight really has not moved. I seem to see my body measurement’s coming down but not the weight....

Am I alone?

NO your not alone.... the scale really isn't moving for me not since i have been eating mushy foods. but i notice that my clothes fit better and other people notice that my face is not as "puffy"...I'm 2 weeks post op....

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

You're definitely not alone. I lost 27 pounds pre-op and was 221.2 on the day of surgery. 3 days post-op I went down to 218 and then I got my period on my 3rd day post op and I always gain 4-8 pounds when I get my period. My weight the next day shot up to 225 and stayed that way for an entire week. I've now been off my period for 2 days now and it will not move from 224. I'm 17 days post op and I gained weight! I feel so discouraged and keep wondering if I did the right thing with the LAP-BAND® and all..and keep telling myself that I could have and would have lost more weight on my own without the surgery in 17 days. I am losing inches though but I want to see pounds lost. At least I can say that my clothes do fit better and my stomach bulge has gone down. And then I read about other people losing 20 pounds 2 weeks post op. My friend called me the other day who had the LAP-BAND® done on August 2 of this year and she told me she lost 20 pounds so far and I she asked me how much I had lost and I lied and said "oh, i've lost 10 pounds" when I had really gained 6-7 pounds. I want to call my doctor but I'm afraid he'll say to get a fill and I don't want one yet...and plus I do have restriction maybe because of swelling or something. Anyways, I weighed myself this morning and it was 224.8 and it ruined my entire day. I'm still on the liquid diet..I eat nothing but cream soups...one can a day gives me Breakfast, lunch, and dinner...and between that I drink two 4 oz of Protein Shakes and drink lots of water...I start pureed this coming monday and am I afraid that I'll gain more weight.

Edited by peacelives10

Definitely common and it may be something you want to get used to. Many times when you hit a plateau you'll lose inches and not weight. Be sure to take your measurements and even some pictures and compare when the scale is being a bit stubborn. It helps to keep you motivated.

Sadly I'm on the other side of this. Scale is moving yet I can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I'm much smaller. :smile:

Im 3 weeks past surgery, lost 13 lbs the first week, gained1.5 lbs the second and now Im not losing weight. Its frustrating! I know i should take my time and focus on the healing, but my doctor assigned a dietician to monitor my weight loss and she wants me to lose 7lbs a week!!! *&^$%%!!

Maybe you are not getting enough calories. Sometimes if we eat too little the body "hangs on to the fat" for dear life. Perhaps the extra calories the mushies will bring will help.

You are definitely not alone... I went almost a month without losing but dropped a whole size and had people finally noticing my loss...

Im 3 weeks past surgery, lost 13 lbs the first week, gained1.5 lbs the second and now Im not losing weight. Its frustrating! I know i should take my time and focus on the healing, but my doctor assigned a dietician to monitor my weight loss and she wants me to lose 7lbs a week!!! *&^$%%!!

i thought the average was 1-2 lbs a week? wow 7 is ALOT!!! i can see in a month but no way in a week...

I wish I measured myself before all of this! I am in the same boat! I'm down 25 pounds- banded 8/17/10. The scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks, but things do fir me different. And I am not as puffy. I trying not to obssess over the scale....Makes me feel better that other people are going through this too!!!

Edited by lmsampson

Am I alone?

I've only lost 35 pounds in the 9 month since surgery but I can see my body physically rearranging where I hold the fat...most likely because my diet has changed. So, even though it's only 35 pounds, I'm down 3 sizes in pants and almost 3 sizes (I like 'em loose) in tops. I'm even wearing 1-1/2 size smaller shoes!

I no longer really care what the scale says. I'm going by the physical evidence of my body.

I was band on 8/18/2010, since the surgery I have lose 15lbs. My start weight was 270lb and I am at 255lb. I made a decision yesterday that may benefit others, I PUT THE scale AWAY!!!! The scale is a enemy of the state! I have been condition to identify the number on the scale as a gauge of my weight loss and worth. By putting the scale away, I am more able to focus completely on me, my health, and my weight loss without a constant reminder of the number. I am schedule for my first fill on 9/13/2010.:(

Elfie...35 pounds and 3 sizes.....amazing. I am down 50+ and am BARELY down 1 pants size and have not budged on top b/c my arms are huge..(though boobs are shrinking daily)...I have lost a shoe size though. I will be this big jiggly blob with no boobs on tiny feet.:(

I am so jealous!!!!!

I am a self admitted scale-whore.

Yeah I am down a little over 50 and still the same pant size as when I started, apparently I am gonna turn into one big stomach and nothing else lol.

And someone said something earlier about calories. Make sure you monitor those, I was not and although I was not hungry I was only taking in about 600 calories a day, and was burning ~ 400 calories exercising and my body shut down the weight loss machine. Gotta remember don't "diet" with the band, let it do the work.

Sorry, but I think that dietician is NUTS!! Fire her and find another one with more realistic expectations. I lost about 20lbs the first 6 weeks after surgery and my nurses almost wouldn't give me a fill because of that rate of loss.

You're definitely not alone. I lost 27 pounds pre-op and was 221.2 on the day of surgery. 3 days post-op I went down to 218 and then I got my period on my 3rd day post op and I always gain 4-8 pounds when I get my period. My weight the next day shot up to 225 and stayed that way for an entire week. I've now been off my period for 2 days now and it will not move from 224. I'm 17 days post op and I gained weight! I feel so discouraged and keep wondering if I did the right thing with the LAP-BAND® and all..and keep telling myself that I could have and would have lost more weight on my own without the surgery in 17 days. I am losing inches though but I want to see pounds lost. At least I can say that my clothes do fit better and my stomach bulge has gone down. And then I read about other people losing 20 pounds 2 weeks post op. My friend called me the other day who had the LAP-BAND® done on August 2 of this year and she told me she lost 20 pounds so far and I she asked me how much I had lost and I lied and said "oh, i've lost 10 pounds" when I had really gained 6-7 pounds. I want to call my doctor but I'm afraid he'll say to get a fill and I don't want one yet...and plus I do have restriction maybe because of swelling or something. Anyways, I weighed myself this morning and it was 224.8 and it ruined my entire day. I'm still on the liquid diet..I eat nothing but cream soups...one can a day gives me Breakfast, lunch, and dinner...and between that I drink two 4 oz of Protein Shakes and drink lots of water...I start pureed this coming monday and am I afraid that I'll gain more weight.

Sounds to me like your not consuming enough calories.....are you exercising ? Say,,30 min 3 times a week, min.