Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-anesthesia ickiness?

My surgery was yesterday and I was just curious what kind of side effect people had from the anesthesia. I keep going from hot to cold- almost like I have a fever but I checked my temp and I dont. Is this normal?

actually I do hae a low grade fever- 99 and I checked my discharge paperwork and they said to call if it gets higher than 101. I hate running fevers even if they are low grade- the hot and then cold drives me nuts.

I had a bad reaction. I kept throwing up for hours after I woke up. I also couldn't urinate for several hours after I woke up (even though I had the urge). The nurse said that sometimes it is hard to urinate after anestheia because the muscles down relax and fall asleep.

I have always recovered well from anaesthesia, once I wake up, I'm awake.

what I tend to notice is that one or two days later, I get very very weepy. I'll have a period of a few hours whee I just cry. Its exactly like when your milk comes in after you've had a baby, hits you out of nowhere and then leaves just as suddenly.

Man- I just slept for 12 hours and it felt gooooood! Im feeling ok today- no fever but I didnt start with that until yesterday evening. Hopefully it wont come back.

I ran a slight temp after surgery too and the first time I had anesthesia, I was sick sick sick. But I told the Dr, my nurses and the anestesiologist that I get sick very easily and he PROMISED it would not happen again. He was right. Don't know what he did differently, but I woke up and other than the nurse screaming for me to take a deep breath and me croaking out that I didn't want to because it hurt, I was fine.

I got a Scopolamine patch and Zofran b/c I throw up for hours on end after surgery.

So far today I feel great. No nausea, no vomiting and I'm wide awake.

I couldn't urinate right away. Had to sit on the toilet and wait and wait, but eventually I was able to void. It happened at home too, but eventually my very lax muscles eased up.

And I'm running cold. I suffer from hot flashes, so I sleep with the AC on and the ceiling fan set to helicopter, but since I got home from surgery I'm actually bundled up in bed. It's been two days since my surgery and finally this morning I was able to pass some gas, and not little delicate burps either, I'm talking about frat boy trumpets if you know what I mean, but GAWD the relief.

And I seem to have a permanent pain in my left shoulder and neck, I suppose it's deferred pain from the hiatal hernia repair. I haven't quite figured out where the port is, I had the SIL surgery, and that incision is near my waist on the left side. It's still sore to the touch so I can't quite yet find it. My ribs feel sore too, but nothing drastic.

No weight loss yet, but I'm still swollen. So for now I'm just taking it easy, trying to keep hydrated, and sleeping when the urge hits. How is everyone else doing?

I swear I have literally slept most of the day today. I did get a call from the nurse at he hospital and she said that a low post op fever is normal so that made me feel good. I decided to eat some Jello today and I was taking small bites every couple of minutes or so but I took one bit to many and my stomach immediately let me know that it was going to come back up. I dry heaved about 4 or 5 times, then dry heaved/burped at the same time (that was wiiieeeeerrrrd), then I threw up just a little bit. I immediately felt better after that but man it sucked. I guess I cant eat 3/4 of a cup of jello right now.

I couldn't urinate right away. Had to sit on the toilet and wait and wait, but eventually I was able to void. It happened at home too, but eventually my very lax muscles eased up.

And I'm running cold. I suffer from hot flashes, so I sleep with the AC on and the ceiling fan set to helicopter, but since I got home from surgery I'm actually bundled up in bed. It's been two days since my surgery and finally this morning I was able to pass some gas, and not little delicate burps either, I'm talking about frat boy trumpets if you know what I mean, but GAWD the relief.

And I seem to have a permanent pain in my left shoulder and neck, I suppose it's deferred pain from the hiatal hernia repair. I haven't quite figured out where the port is, I had the SIL surgery, and that incision is near my waist on the left side. It's still sore to the touch so I can't quite yet find it. My ribs feel sore too, but nothing drastic.

No weight loss yet, but I'm still swollen. So for now I'm just taking it easy, trying to keep hydrated, and sleeping when the urge hits. How is everyone else doing?

I also had a hiatal hernia repair and my left shoulder and back pain has been horrible. The worst pain by far. I'm hoping if I keep passing gas it will go away, but for now, I'm not feeling super hot.

I was banded on Wednesday, the 4th, along with a hiatal hernia repair. I am also cold at night, unusually so. Have been on Clear Liquids since I got home (3 pm yesterday) and tonight have developed diahhrea. Have a little gas- lots of bloating. No pain in the shoulder/neck, thank goodness. But I could use a few good "frat boy trumpets"!!