Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had Surg Friday and need help with pain??

Hi, I was banded on Friday 30 Jul. I am experiencing a pain about 8 to 10 inches above my navel. I would describe it as it being in the middle of my breast bone and it comes in waves and then it goes away. I'm thinking it maybe gas pains but not really sure? It almost feels like the band maybe cause it gets worse after I sip on liquids.I have gas in my shoulders and stomach and chest and I can deal with that along with the incesion discomfort but this wave of pain in my breast bone area really hurts I might get it every few minutes than it will stop for a while than come back again. Any ideas? I am also having a hard time getting all my liquids in. the dr. has me on full liquids for the next 2 weeks. I am really only stomach just Water and sugar free koolaid right now. I tried some yogurt earlier and I got some sharp pains in my stomach and chest so I stopped. Thanks for any suggestions just trying to feel better !! I just want to know everything I am feeling is normal..I definitly dont feel like I can be very active at all as of today..I am walking around my house and have passed some gas today but not much. My pain is worse once I get up from a lying position and start moving

I am feeling the same that you do........Tired of feeling this way and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo damn hungry. I am really tempted to eat some sf pudding tonight instead of waiting on tomorrow. On tomorrow I start my full liquid diet. My head is killing me. I am sick of sf Jello and popsicles. I need something that is a little thickier.:rolleyes2:

I found if I drink something warm I was alot more comfortable..Something about the cold drinks just makes you feel crampy. Try some warm broth. Hope it helps.

Also remember your surgeon did alot of work inside of your body, he cut you open he moved stuff around he sewwd stuff up its a big shock on your system. It will get better I promise..I started feeling like myself at about 2 weeks.

Hi Nicole we were banded the same day. I have the same issues with gas pain and walking really has helped out. I also take one or two minute breaks between sips which has helped prevent the sharp gas pains. Keep up with your pain meds to help with the muscle soreness and incision pain. Hope you feel

better soon.

Kyra

I was banded on July 27th and had the same thing. I found that if I drank something to cold it hurt as well. Which is horrible because I love my drinks to be cold. My dr has me on Full liquids but I am allowed to have cream of wheat which has been a life saver for me. It will get better I promise.

perhaps we can start a "banded July 30th" group?? (Layla's Grandma... you are very comforting!) I have tried to keep my lap-band a private thing.... so I've sent my husband out for slim-fast and some Soup. My doctor gave me a list that adds cream of wheat and puddings/yougurt, and cream Soups after two weeks. I may starve by then!

Oh... I also need a cool weight loss ticker!!

Hi Everyone. I had surgery on the 30th too. I am still very sore and have the gas pain. The pain med my Doc prescribed seems to help A LOT but makes me sleepy. Nicole74, it definately sounds like gas in your chest. I have it too. The walking and taking Gas X really helps. I know you dont feel like it, I certainly dont, but I am doing it and it is helping.

To date, I have no appetite. I am eating because I know that I need to but very small amounts. (That is a good thing). Hopefully, I will stay this way for a while.

I jumped on the scale and I see no difference from Thursday night (pre-op) but then again, I am full of air and swelling....so who knows...maybe that is adding some weight?

Has anyone else that had surgery Friday step on the scale yet?

I had surgery on thursday and i have yet to step on a scale...Im on liquids for 2 weeks and this is killing me! I had pretty good amount of gas pain but thankfully gas x has killed that and im feeling pretty good right now! i just want the hunger to stop!

I cant wait to eat anything at this point and having my first fill so i dont feel hungry. thatd be awesome if there was a july group of banders :wub:

Sorry to hear about the pain. As was said above make sure all liquids you drink for the first 5 days are "room temp" or warmer. I found anything from the fridge caused the sharp pains in my breastbone. I also found chamomile tea was AWESOME at making the gas pains less noticable. Also make sure you are taking 2 gas strips every 6 hours, even if you are not feeling gas pain, helps stop it from building. Also if you have someone that doesnt mind sit up in the bed and have them pat you soft but firm on the middle of you back where your shoulderblades meet, just like you would burp a baby, this helped me VERY much.

I am in agreement with the two others that posted to take GAS X. I used the strips that dissolve on your tongue and took the max dosage. WHAT A RELIEF it was! I was MISERABLE for several days until I took those out of despiration, not really believing it was gas. The shoulder pain was so horrible, I felt like I wanted to pass out several times. It worked wonders for me :wub: Good luck!!

I found Hot black tea was so soothing...I really feel for you Nicole74 and the others that have just been done and are in pain too. I was done in November 09 and I had pain for a good 2 weeks and wasn't back to doing my normal thing for about 5 weeks maybe 6.

Some people swell more than others and I had major swelling for quite some time.

I had a lot of pains in my shoulders due to gas but like someone else just said they muck around a lot inside your stomach and its not exactly minor surgery either. You just take the time you need to get over this and just do what you feel you can.

If you are concerned about the pain can you call your Dr or nurse and ask them if it is normal, and if so can they give you anything stronger for the pain to help get you through??

I know I have had to have another 2 op's since then and I have been a real sook with my pain, but I take panadene max (probly diff in the states I am from australia) and with my most recent surgery I was given a script for pain relief panadene forte to help me through when the pain was the most intense.

I think you will find that it will settle after a few weeks but if you are concerned call your Dr....thats what he/she is there for and what you pay them for too :wub:

Take care and hope it eases for you soon (hugs feel better)

Nicole,

I was banded on Thurs. and am having the same feelings you are describing. About all I know to do is just keep drinking slowly and make sure your hydrated.

Last night I tried some sf pudding and it felt really heavy in my chest. Not for sure how to describe the pain, but kind of like a rolling pressure. Luckily I am experiencing no hunger pangs.

And lol....since I have been banded I have a new motto:

"If I would have known it was going to hurt this bad, I would have put the cheeseburgers down years ago!"

Thanks for the laugh Nuster!! lol..too funny!! I felt pretty rough this morning still but starting to feel better..I still have that coming and going pain but since you and other people say that they feel it too Im not as worried, I have my follow up appointment on Friday so hopefully it will be gone by than. I started my period this morning so now I have double the pressure and cramps. Im just gonna keep strong an sip sip sip!!

Thanks everyone!! I would like a July banding group too...how do we start that?? Just start a post?