Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

Just had a thought -- my dr hasn't told me that I have to cut out caffeine, I know that some of you have mentioned that you have cut it out altogether. Did you do that because your dr required/ suggested it or did you do it on your own? Does anyone know what the benefits of doing so would be?

If I have a good enough reason to I'm sure I could cut it out and if my dr had told me to I would -- but I really don't want to give up my diet green tea!! LOL

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just had a thought -- my dr hasn't told me that I have to cut out caffeine, I know that some of you have mentioned that you have cut it out altogether. Did you do that because your dr required/ suggested it or did you do it on your own? Does anyone know what the benefits of doing so would be?

If I have a good enough reason to I'm sure I could cut it out and if my dr had told me to I would -- but I really don't want to give up my diet green tea!! LOL

Thanks

The nutritionist told me that the reason they don't want you to have caffeine is because it's a diaretic and it's difficult enough to make sure you're getting enough Water in. She said that we could probably have 8 oz of a caffeinated beverage per day, but we'd have to make sure that we drank an extra 8 oz of water on top of the suggested 64 oz to make up for the caffeine.

I'm not too much of a coffee drinker, so it wasn't a hassle for me to give up. Soda on the other hand has been really difficult for me.

Hi everyone! Finally checking in. Surgery on Monday went well! Checked in by 9:30 and in recovery by 12. I had to stay overnight because I wasn't producing enough urine. All better now.

Dr. Ren repaired a small hiatal hernia and the referred shoulder pain from the diaphragm is KILLING me. Luckily, I had single incision surgery and have no pain at all from the incisions.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting liquids in. I'm struggling a little.

So happy for you! My surgeon removed a hiatal hernia as well, so I have a tiny incision from that. I have pain if I press on the incision site- so I try not to do that :thumbup:. My kitties keep wanting to sit on my tummy. I called Lowes Foods and they delivered all the liquids, yogurt and Protein Drinks right to the house. It was awesome. I stopped taking any pain meds last night, but it has not been that bad. I just plugged in the treadmill and am going to try for a minute. I'm struggling with liquids as well, but starting tomorrow I can have Dannon probiotic yogurt drink and sugar free pudding which should help alot. It took a few days for the gas pains to subside a bit. Good luck with your liquids. I tried mixing some flavored Isopure with some Water and drinking it in 2 ounce increments. And for some reason the grape juice they gave me in the hospital seems to be the only thing that really agrees with me.

The nutritionist told me that the reason they don't want you to have caffeine is because it's a diaretic and it's difficult enough to make sure you're getting enough Water in. She said that we could probably have 8 oz of a caffeinated beverage per day, but we'd have to make sure that we drank an extra 8 oz of water on top of the suggested 64 oz to make up for the caffeine.

I'm not too much of a coffee drinker, so it wasn't a hassle for me to give up. Soda on the other hand has been really difficult for me.

What about Decaf Coffee. I tried some coffee after surgery and I thought I was going to vomit for about an hour and haven't tried any since then. I agree I was told it was a diruetic and you already have enough issues getting fluids in. I think the hard part will be to remember no fluids 30 minutes before or after meals.

Thanks

I think you should ask your nutritionist. I was an avid coffee drinker, but when I tried a few sips in the hospital I was very nauseous and not sure I am going to try it again anytime soon. I used alot of Creamer too, so I might try switching to green tea - healthy too - and lots less calories.

Hello all!

Today is two weeks exactly since my surgery. I'm feeling much better and can even sleep just about however I want to which is a huge relief!

My blood pressure which was well controlled with meds has dropped. I will see my primary doc on Monday about either cutting the med completely or at least reducing the dose. I didn't take it this morning and mid-day my bp was 106/76. Don't want to know what it would have been if I had taken the med! Watching that pretty closely, can't wait to see what my doctor says.

I have gotten back into my walking and today I walked three miles in my best time ever, just over 51 minutes. No land-speed record, but awesome for me! Felt amazing. And my shoes are getting a bit loose as well. wow.

And now, for the hard stuff. I think I'm running smack into bandster hell. I am battling awful head hunger and it's won a few times in the last two days. I can eat way more than I should with no problem. My surgeon said to think of these hard weeks as the "last diet you'll ever be on" but holy cow the mental fight is a hard one. I'm working hard on sticking to the portions suggested in our post-op guidelines. I'm also working to do the small bites and chewing like mad but I have to say - this is hard. I knew it would be, but wow. My first fill isn't until October 20 and that feels like it's a lifetime away. I've lost 21 pounds since surgery but gained at least 2 back. Frustrating. I know it will be okay, and I know that I will make it through this - I don't want to sound like I'm down on this process at all, but I just had to share. Hope we can all hang in there.

Blessings to all who are preparing for surgery, and thanks for listening.

gracerev

The big day is getting closer and closer - 5 more to go! Surgery is Wednesday the 22nd, and I am scheduled to return to work on Monday the 27th.

I was told today that one of the "ladies" that works in a different department was leaving on Friday (sorry to say - NO LOVE LOSS THERE) so, in addition to doing my job and the other little one they have laid on me, they now tell me they need me to do hers too, until they can hire someone of course. But no rush.

So I am hoping I will feel up to taking on all this crap 5-days post-op...just has me stressing already. Maybe I should suggest, since I am taking on the responsibility of 2 1/2 employees, I would like to receive 2 1/2 times pay.. HA!

Just a vent here... I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist on the job, and I dont have the training to do hers well... Just not interested in putting my job nor my health in danger. Boo!

Hi everyone! Finally checking in. Surgery on Monday went well! Checked in by 9:30 and in recovery by 12. I had to stay overnight because I wasn't producing enough urine. All better now.

Dr. Ren repaired a small hiatal hernia and the referred shoulder pain from the diaphragm is KILLING me. Luckily, I had single incision surgery and have no pain at all from the incisions.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting liquids in. I'm struggling a little.

Lillyegg, Happy to hear things went well, that shoulder pain must be something that's what everyone talks about, after reading everyone's post that will past in time..

Thanks

Wendyhart: As everyone was saying my doctor told me also that "caffeine is a diuretic and should not be consumed".

So happy for you! My surgeon removed a hiatal hernia as well, so I have a tiny incision from that. I have pain if I press on the incision site- so I try not to do that :thumbup:. My kitties keep wanting to sit on my tummy. I called Lowes Foods and they delivered all the liquids, yogurt and Protein drinks right to the house. It was awesome. I stopped taking any pain meds last night, but it has not been that bad. I just plugged in the treadmill and am going to try for a minute. I'm struggling with liquids as well, but starting tomorrow I can have Dannon probiotic yogurt drink and sugar free pudding which should help alot. It took a few days for the gas pains to subside a bit. Good luck with your liquids. I tried mixing some flavored Isopure with some Water and drinking it in 2 ounce increments. And for some reason the grape juice they gave me in the hospital seems to be the only thing that really agrees with me.

Missjoany: Your cutting back on your meds that's good my surgery is next week trying to get an ideal of how long I may be on med, I do understand everyone is different.

I was just thinking you may want to dilute your juice, that's what I was told to do my first two weeks of post op. It may help.

Does anyone know how long aetna takes to approve. I sumitted last thurday still waiting .....very anxious

So finally got out of hospital this afternoon!

Gas pain and tummy bruising is bothering me a lot and I am not finding the pain killers are doing a lot!

I am about to go to bed for the night. Hopefully the gas will have settled down a bit tomorrow :scared2:

Hope everyone else has done well with their surgery and on the road to recovery!:thumbup:

So finally got out of hospital this afternoon!

Gas pain and tummy bruising is bothering me a lot and I am not finding the pain killers are doing a lot!

I am about to go to bed for the night. Hopefully the gas will have settled down a bit tomorrow :thumbup:

Hope everyone else has done well with their surgery and on the road to recovery!:thumbup:

surgery sept 16.. im still in alot of pain much more pain than i anticipated but its getting a lil better everyday ..... just didnt expect to be in so much initial pain. still not sorry yet.....:scared2:

Wow, I haven't been on here all week & had a lot to read through! Congratulations to all the new bandsters. I am 8 days out & doing well. My only complaint is lack of energy. Since I start on mushies today, hopefully that will help. I had to go to a post-op class at the dr's office on Thurs & met the other 7 people who were done the week I was. It was great hearing everyone's stories. Our mushies can be pudding, yogurt, soft scrambled eggs (not sure how to do that), cream Soups, pastina, farina, applesauce & watermelon. I can't wait to eat something! I'm so excited. I do a week of mushies, then move on to soft. My bandages were removed & I go back on Oct. 7 for my first fill.

I didn't have to do a pre-op diet. What amazes me is I haven't felt hungry. I had some sugar free Jello twice, but the sugar free ice pops were the real treat. I couldn't stand the broth after the third day, so I would get wonton Soup & ask for just the broth. That was heaven.

I tried every weight loss thing out there & feel so good about this. I know this was the answer for me.

Is anyone from NJ - Bergen County?

Hi Everyone!

I recently found this website and just today found your page. I am so excited to have found all of you. I have been reading all the posts and it is incredible to see how the posts start with the anticipating the approval, to setting a date and in some cases the post op.

I started my journey a couple of months ago and got insurance approval on August 19th. They set my date for Sept 23rd and on Sept 7th they changed it to Sept 20th. So I have been on the pre-op diet since the 8th and have lost 9 lbs. Today my Doctor told me that I have to be on a 3 day Protein diet starting tomorrow until Sunday. Then Monday is the day! I can't believe how fast all this has happened and am ready for my life change.

As soon as I am able, I will let you guys know how the operation went and how I am doing.

Thanks,

Moni :thumbup:

weight.png

I feel the same, thank goodness for this site. I have told few people of my journey. The reason being we have one girl at work who had lap band surgery and one who had bypass and both had failed miserably and gained all their weight back. The comments from people are insensitive. I know this journey is a physical as well as a mental journey and I am glad everyone is on this thread to help us along. I have not heard from a soul since Wed, no email, FB, phone calls. It's like I do not exist anymore, but I have you guys. We can't wait to hear from you!! Good Luck.

Yea I looked for all less sodium Soups, but you know, I did not check the Campbells Cream of Potato and Tomato for sodium, and I am so looking forward to trying them. I had high blood pressue in the hospital but they were able to get it down some (with the proper cuff). Thanks for the heads up, I will start checking sodium levels in my pureed foods next week when I start on them.
Hello all!

Today is two weeks exactly since my surgery. I'm feeling much better and can even sleep just about however I want to which is a huge relief!

My blood pressure which was well controlled with meds has dropped. I will see my primary doc on Monday about either cutting the med completely or at least reducing the dose. I didn't take it this morning and mid-day my bp was 106/76. Don't want to know what it would have been if I had taken the med! Watching that pretty closely, can't wait to see what my doctor says.

I have gotten back into my walking and today I walked three miles in my best time ever, just over 51 minutes. No land-speed record, but awesome for me! Felt amazing. And my shoes are getting a bit loose as well. wow.

And now, for the hard stuff. I think I'm running smack into bandster hell. I am battling awful head hunger and it's won a few times in the last two days. I can eat way more than I should with no problem. My surgeon said to think of these hard weeks as the "last diet you'll ever be on" but holy cow the mental fight is a hard one. I'm working hard on sticking to the portions suggested in our post-op guidelines. I'm also working to do the small bites and chewing like mad but I have to say - this is hard. I knew it would be, but wow. My first fill isn't until October 20 and that feels like it's a lifetime away. I've lost 21 pounds since surgery but gained at least 2 back. Frustrating. I know it will be okay, and I know that I will make it through this - I don't want to sound like I'm down on this process at all, but I just had to share. Hope we can all hang in there.

Blessings to all who are preparing for surgery, and thanks for listening.

gracerev

Can you believe two weeks has gone by?? I am on day 7 post op today. I hope my blood pressure has dropped on my first pre op visit on 09/23. Your BP was awesome! This morning I started back on my thyroid med and had to crush it. It tasted fine. Hope it’s just as effective. I am so impressed with your walking, you can be my inspiration. I walked for two minutes yesterday haha. So far this week I can only have yogurt, Tomato Soup, sugar free pudding. I was afraid to have the yogurt, so I had one teaspoonful and licked it slowly while kitties looked on. (They love the yogurt). Can’t wait to make some pudding. And I haven’t had pudding or Jello in years, so thanks for the warnings, I will try and keep my head hunger in check. Hang in there girl, you sound like you have a handle on it all. Thanks for your thoughts.

Scarred4Life Congrats on the big day. We will be here for you. I think recovery has a lot to do also with how good of shape you were in as well. If you were used to exercising and have great core muscles that will help a lot with your recovery. I did not. I had been put on the night shift and only recently found out I had thyroid disease so I have not exercized in 6 months. Will be harder for me to recover. I did mention all this to my boss, because I work both Sat and Sun and am often there by myself and those are the busiest days of the week. I asked if I could come back to work on a Monday. Any way you could take a few extra days? On days 5 and 6 I had several episodes of diarrhea, not sure if there is any product to purchase in case there is an accident.

sourmissg I had totally forgotten about the suggestion to dilute my juice- thanks.

AnnaOz Congrats on going home- Yeee HAWW!! So cool that you have the energy to post so soon after surgery!! I hope you were able to sleep well. My first two attempts failed miserably and I was in pain. I try and sleep whenever the mood hits, sometimes 9:00 am or 3:30 am, I have only been lying down for maybe 3 to four hours, as I cannot get comfortable. Let me know if you discover any secrets of sleeping.< /span>

sunny day Congrats on your surgery!! Yea, the pain was way more than I anticipated as well. The pain meds they gave me in the hospital did help. When I was lying in bed I did not feel it. When they got me up to walk and go to the bathroom, yikes! It was hard to keep myself walking. The gas pains started subsiding a bit maybe on day two. Good luck, can’t wait to hear more about your adventures.