Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone had surgery through Obesity Control Center

Hi

I am looking to get banded in january 2011 in Mexico through Obesity Control Center & Dr. Ortiz. I was just wanting input from those that have worked with or had surgery through obesity control center and Dr. ortiz. This would be so helpful any input is appreciated.

thanks

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm sitting on a computer at OCC now. But simply put: COME HERE.

Why did I chose him?

- 25-40% of the cost of banding in the U.S.

- Dr. Ortiz trains American doctors on how to perform the lap band, and has personally done nearly 7,000 (including mine earlier today)

- expertise: Dr. Ortiz has been doing lapband surgeries since 1992, whereas the FDA didn't approve the U.S. use until (circa) 2002

- the staff and the accomodations are both wonderful

- everything here has gone above and beyond my expectations

- they also monitor your success after you leave and provide aftercare at the facility. I came thinking I wouldn't come back for the fill here because of the distance, but after this experience, I will definitely come back. In Dr. Ortiz's words "one fill here is likely the only fill you will ever need".

If there are any specific questions about OCC you have, feel free to ask me.

Hello Crazylegs,

Congrats to you. I am thinking of using Dr. Ortiz. What is the process like? I already got a price qoute and a list of available dates. If I decide to go forward what is the process?

Thanks

Well, the first thing they will give you is a few PDF documents for pre-op information and paperwork that needs to be filled out. You would need to fill out a complete health evaluation. Next, you are given three options for a pre-op diet.

1. 30 days of Atkins induction

2. 14 days of 2 Protein shake meals/one low carb meal

3. at least 9 days of three Protein Shake meals per day

The nutritionist will keep tabs on you as your surgery date approaches.

Once the day arrives, you fly in the San Diego airport and are picked up by shuttle and taken to Tijuana. Depending on what time you arrive, you can either go straight in for pre-op work (blood, EKG, breathing test, nutritionist eval) or straight to the hotel they provide. The hotel is Marriott and it's an absolutely gorgeous facility.

On the day of the surgery, you wait in the lobby for a little while until you're next in line for the surgery. They'll take you to your recovery room, hook up an IV, then Dr. Ortiz will come introduce himself, talk about how to be success, then ask for questions or input at the end. The surgery itself takes 30-40 minutes. I was back in my room in about 40 minutes, then 30 minutes after I was up and walking.

They provide post-op diet info, as well as other tips for aftercare. You stay overnight at the facility, then get shuttled back to the hotel the following morning!

I was banded by Dr Ortiz in 2006. He and everyone else there are amazing. I have had a few bad fill experiences and will now only go there for fills. Feel free to ask me questions, you have made the right choice. I would send anyone I love here, as a matter of fact, my hubby is being banded there in Sept. Best wishes.

Hi, I am considering getting the LapBand surgery at Obesity Control Center as well. I am really just starting my research, But Dr. Ortiz stands out, for me.

I live in San Diego, and figure I can just drive there. Does anyone have any experience with travelling into Mexico, is it safe? You hear about all the drug cartels and violence in general going on along the border, is this the case in Tijuana?

Anyone else have any recommendations or suggestions relating to Dr. Ortiz?

Thanks!

Can people who had lapband by Oritz, how long was it before you could fly home again. And did you feel comfortable.

I have book with Dr. Ortiz for October, and just this morning i have been phoning clinics in my area to find out where I can go and have the fills done afterward.

Speaking with the places that will do fills on bands that have been put in by other doctors, both say that they and all the patients have been extemely happy with the OCC clinic. So far non

have had any complications and have found the clinic very clean and the staff great.

Now i have only found 2 places to do the fills so far, but I am happy that both place have nothing bad to say about him.

Good luck

Hi Banddiva, what happened with the bad fill, was it in Mexico? How many fills did you have. My flight is around 315 round trip, that's probably similar for you maybe. a lot to tack on so I'm curious about other banding info, vs, going there. some places cost like 400 so going there isn't that much even with the flight.

Bobthedog, where are you, i'm always looking for good fill places.

Seant1. so the cost with ortiz includes a ride from the airport to the hotel. I don't know if they reduce the cost if you go there and back.

I do know for fills that if you get picked up at the airport it costs 99$ and if you stay in the hotel for the night it's 79$ (the Mariott)

So if you were looking to reduce your 6000$ cost by driving yourself the discount might look like that kind of reductions.

for fills or check ups there are many folks that take the trolly and cross the border on foot, and then take a cab. so I'm sure driving is fine too. but on the OCC website, they have a forum, and there is a section on fills, and taking the trolly etc. tons of information on what to do, even a nice presentation, with a pdf with pictures of every place you go if you take the trolly. their forum is very helpful.

Lisa

Hi,I'm new to the site. I'm hoping to get banded by Dr. Ortiz next month, but I was just wondering if anyone went alone, and how you did after the surgery by yourself? As of right now, my husband isn't able to get off of work, so I'll be going at it alone.

Was anything more difficult for you after the surgery? Changing? Showering? the Plane ride? Carrying luggage?

Any info or advice helps, Thanks

hi KA Haldeman, i am getting banded on 27 and going alone, Ill let you know how it goes.. i think on the OCC forum there might be others that can talk about going alone.

Thanks LisaA I didnt even think about the OCC forum. I will definatley check it out and be looking forward to your info after your back. Good Luck!!

Hi, I am new to this forum, but I am having surgery on October 1st by Dr. Ortiz. Excited, yet nervous. Caroline said there was a possibility that I could even go to the hotel on the evening of my surgery.... has anyone been allowed to do that?

I have read that on the OCC forum that they have on their site I go sunday. some folks have mentioned deciding to stay there at the occ and that it was a good bonding experience with other people who were recently banded. but I don't know. I know some stay at the hotel after surgery

I have read that on the OCC forum that they have on their site I go sunday. some folks have mentioned deciding to stay there at the occ and that it was a good bonding experience with other people who were recently banded. but I don't know. I know some stay at the hotel after surgery

Thank you for the reply. Good Luck with your surgery on Monday! I will check the OCC forum.... I have not registered yet with that sight. Thanks again.