Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

abandoned by dr - absolutely frantic!!!

I'm from Abilene, TX and my Dr as well as anyone else in his office who could help me (there were three people total and they all left town) split town 06/30.

I had about 3 weeks notice (heard it from a friend before I even got the Dear Patient... letter in the mail.) I scheduled and got one .5 fill on the 14th.

I had only had my band be too tight one other time and I knew it pretty much immediately. This time I went for THREE weeks... I don't know how it happened, but I started off ok and ended up in the ER this last Fri (07/02) with my stomach squeezed almost entirely shut. Even though they didn't know how, they took pity on me due to the long weekend and I basically had to SHOW them how to take Fluid out so I had some relief (it was just .5 that pushed me over the edge and they ended up taking out 2ccs... I felt like I had been choking and could breathing again.)

All the time they asked 'What did your Dr say to do?' well - he didn't say ANYTHING except there was no one left in Abilene who could help me... good luck. When I said "so I should just consult my insurance," he just nodded.

Well, there are literally HUNDREDS of drs and facilities within two hundred miles that take my insurance. I don't even know where to start since he didn't actively suggest anyone.

I called one name I recognize and they said they charge an upfront cash fee NOT billed on insurance of $300 to take a patient who already has a lapband. I asked why and they said because they only know that "they" are excellent and they assume if anyone else comes to them, their dr probably did it WRONG and new patient = damaged goods.

I asked her if all Drs did that and she said most actually charge $500-$1000... this is INSANE!!! I liked my Dr just fine (well, at least until he abandoned me) - I didn't choose this. Until I ended up in the ER (which I still don't fully understand since I felt fine for two whole weeks after the fill), I thought I had six MONTHS to find another Dr... now I have the problem of too much fluid being out and the possibility of starting to over eat again...

But loosened feels fantastic... It doesn't hurt to eat anymore. I'm not stuffing my face, but I'm afraid that I could soon. I don't know if I even need another fill, if not will I gain again?, if I do, how much is SAFE this time? I really need to talk to a Dr, but I don't have $300 or $500 or $1000...

does that fee sound like something I could try to file on my insurance myself?

So confused & frantic!!

help?

I would call your insurance co. and tell them that this doctor wants cash up front and see if your fills are covered by insurance and if it's okay to mail in your receipt with claim. If your fills are covered, I don't see why you couldn't file a claim. Since you live in Texas, what are your options about going to Mexico for your fills?? Cost would probably be a lot less than here. Otherwise, I would keep searching on the internet for a doctor to do your fills.....I am sure you will eventually need another one at some point! Good luck to you!!

Hello. I can sense the desperation in your post. First of all take a deep breath. Feel better? OK. I am a self pay LAP-BAND® patient. I had surgery in Mexico and I use fill center USA. You can google them. They may have a center close to you. I dont know if or how they bill insurance. They charge around $350 for a first visit and around $160 for each subsequent fill. They have centers all over the country and you can use a center anywhere you travel without paying a fee besides fill fee. I have great luck with them. i live in Arkansas so I dont know about Texas fill centers. I also know people who use their family physicians for fills. A friend of mine uses a radiologist in Paris, Texas to do her fills. Radiologists administer chemo through ports in a similiar way as a fill so call Radiology centers in your area too. Dont give up hope. I know you will need fills in the future to properly maintain your band, so good luck with your search. I am sorry your doctor did this to you, but always look on the bright side.

I would call your insurance company and see where your former doctors patients were oficially referred to... most states have laws that medical records have to be kept for x number of years and are usually tranferred to another physician or hospital.

I don't know how far it is to Amarillo but I LOVE my dr there...he is fabulous!! His name is Dr Watson Roye.