Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so I woke up this morning very nauseated and very dizzy. Was also in a cold sweat and very shaky. Thought my blood sugar may have been low so I made it to the kitchen and managed to get my Breakfast down. (I am NOT a diabetic). Went back to the bedroom and sat in front of the fan. About 30 minutes later I vomited for the first time since having my band placed on June 4th. Ouch!!! The vomiting was quite forceful, but I didn't get anything up even after about 8 retching episodes. I haven't vomited anymore, but have been nauseated and dizzy all day.

PCP is not open today and my surgeon is over 3 hours away. I have been getting 1000 - 1200 calories a day with carbs included. I have only been getting 6 glasses of Water a day, but that is a lot more than pre-band. Has anyone ever had this happen? Being a nurse, I am trying to take care of myself instead of going to my local ER where I know they know nothing about bands (I work there). Any advise is appreciated.

It sounds as though you may have some kind of stomach bug. I would do what they normally advise when you have something such as gastro. Stay hydrated and avoid food.If that doesn't help then go and see your Dr.

Use Clear liquids not Protein shakes because if it is a stomach bug the lactose in them is likely to just aggravate it.

I agree with Elcee - I had similar when I got a stomach bug - the vomiting (with nothing coming up) was gut wrenching, literally and so very painful. Unfortunately mine lasted 12 hours and despite the anti-nausea drugs I was taking, it would not stop. I was fine a day later though.

Hope all works out well - I would say if the vomiting has stopped then perhaps give yourself 12 hours to recover?

I agree with the above advice. Additionally, I would give the surgeon a call. I don't think your illness is band-related, but he may want to call an Rx for an antiemetic into your local pharmacy.

I hope you feel better fast!

i disagree with ya'll, i had to have my lap band removed after only 5 days due to un-controlable nausea and vomiting and nothing would stop the pain...... lap band was the worst mistake i have ever made in my life!!! hope you get better but just know that the nausea may never stop... call your dr...

i disagree with ya'll, i had to have my LAP-BAND® removed after only 5 days due to un-controlable nausea and vomiting and nothing would stop the pain...... LAP-BAND® was the worst mistake i have ever made in my life!!! hope you get better but just know that the nausea may never stop... call your dr...

:thumbup: Yikes...

Sandy since you have had the band for a while now I am sure it is not the complication that the previous posted mentioned and is likely the bug that most others suggested. I agree with Betsy though- get the doc to call in an anitemetic now before the holiday!!! The repeated regurgitation can aggravate the band site and cause slippage (or so I have heard).

I have to wonder about someone who comes on a Lapband forum just to spread negativity. Profile says they had surgery in 1969!

Smells like a troll to me...

There are lots of them. Generally I take posts like these with a great big pinch of salt. You do have to wonder though why they do it and what they get out of it.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have not vomited since yesterday, but I am still extremely dizzy. Even with the dizziness, I feel tons better than yesterday. Other than a minor set-back with heartburn and gastric acid reflux, I have done pretty well with this band so I don't want to screw it up by vomiting and possibly being dehydrated. I am also scheduled to get my first fill this week and didn't want to mess that up. I appreciate all of your replies. It helps to know that there are others out there to share this experience with.

Sandy

Did your surgeon give you a script for reflux? Sometimes even something as simple as allergies and drainage can affect the band because it's thicker than saliva. If you're weak, just keep your fluids up. There's a liquid clear Protein called Isopure that you might try as the weakness maybe not enough Protein in your system. The Isopure is 40 grams of protein and fruity flavored.

I have a slipped band but I still will not give you any negative feedback...the vomiting isn't the best thing for the band but sometimes unavoidable. I will definitely be more intuned to my band with my revision. I just thought vomiting was part of the game but if it happens a lot that's not normal. But yours sounds like nothing to worry about. Just keep liquids and protein up.

Good luck!!

Trisha

I'm so glad you're starting to feel better. Listen to your body closely--and be sure that you get enough Fluid.

I hope you'll be able to enjoy the holiday, now that you're on the mend :thumbup: