Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 weeks out, need your advice

So, here I am 7 weeks out. I am down 12.4 pounds, 2 inches off my waist, just moving on the treadmill and getting into full excercises. I think I am ridiculously anxious and not looking at what has happened but instead looking at what has not happened. I enter my daily info into Lose It which I love. I may need to reduce calories as this thing has me at 1560 daily. I think I have stumped myself because I want to take in less but worry abot starvation mode. Where were you at 7 weeks and what should I truly expect. Think my expectations are too high, as if I went for Gastric instead. Just need some outside perspective on daily food, activities. Also do you drink coffee? I have been without one sip of diet coke since 11 weeks ago.

Also I should say my BMI was 35 and is now like 32ish. I weighed 210.4 beginning and am at 198 and am 5'5 with a goal of 160. Thanks and please help me get this.

Shelby -

You are the same height as me and have a similar long term goal - though you don't have as much to lose as I do! Anyway, because you are already under 200, don't worry about losing less than other people, because most generally have more to lose. But 12 lbs sounds great! Remember with the band you are only supposed to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week. And remember the benefit of that is no saggy skin :bored:

I'm guessing you have been on solids for a few weeks now? I would say that yes, you probably do need to cute your calories - at least down to 1100-1200 to see if that gets the scale moving. My doctor though has told me to stay around 900. Make sure also that you drink, drink, drink your Water. I have noticed I can be doing everything right but if I don't get enough Water my body stalls.

Hi, good question.

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes the Water is nit what it should be. I drink iced tea when I am out and crystal light and coffee. What

kind of foods do you eat? What kind of excercises do u do?

Hi Shelby -

I'm about where you are (banded on 4/29) and have lost about the same as you - so I wouldnt worry too much about it. A couple of things to remember - we didn't put this weight on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight, either! :bored: Also - the note about Water is KEY - the more Water you can take down, the better. I've also found that I can make MUCH better food choices when I add TONS of Benefiber to my water. It dissolves and doesn't taste like anything. I add crystal lite to my water, too which makes it so yummy! I have just started the 'serious" exericise and have my second fill on Monday (I have 4.5 in a 10cc band). Just think...we're on our WAY!! :blink: Stay encouraged!!

I think crystal light is ok but if I were you I would try to cut down on all the caffeine you are drinking...that will have an impact on your weight loss.

food wise, I try to stick with low carb choices because the carbs just make me want to eat more. Generally for Breakfast I have some sort of liquid, since I'm pretty tight. Like a Protein shake or greek yogurt. For lunch it's generally a salad of some kind with chicken or turkey on top. I still need to have a snack in the afternoon (because I'm not at the sweet spot) so this is generally a cheese stick or something similar. dinner is generally a big hunk of Protein (chicken or fish, I'm not a big beef eater) and green veggies.

For exercising right now I am just walking as I am having knee issues. I generally do 3-4 miles twice a week. Also I wear a bodybugg which helps me determine my calorie deficit each day, so I know the weight will eventually come off.

I started with a BMI of 35 and lost weight well on 1500 calories or so a day.

But I dont know exactly. I just followed my band, listened to my body and ate a lot less, and exercised a lot more. I never journalled or counted or worried that I lost 2.5 lb this week but only 1.588888 the following week, I just went with the flow.

I know some people love the journalling and the rules and the whole "program" but reading your post it DOES add a lot of stress to this journey!

My advice: do it the way that you want to if but dont drop calories any more than you need to. You know what you're eating and losing, if the equation isnt satisfying you eat a bit less, move a bit more. At 1500 a day you've got room to drop without danger of starvation mode, if that even exists.

So I am now under 8 weeks, down to 196.9, BMI has changed from 35 to 32.8. I realized I was anxious about results, and have settled down. Thanks for your advice and opinions.