Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:eek:Explain to me how someone who has the gastric bypass can be so judgemental of the Lap Band?

I don't know, but I knew a woman who had gastric bypass and when I told her I was going to have lap band surgery, she asked, "Why do you want to get that lap band?"

I could just hear the contempt in her voice.

But the patient liaison at my surgeon's office had bypass surgery, and I know a few others who've had it, and they aren't like that at all.

Whatever works for us is what works for us, and we should all just be glad for each other. It's too bad that's not always the case.

I don't know, but I spoke with a friend today who'd had gastric bypass in Feb and has lost 100lbs so far, he was trying to sell me on gastric bypass versus the LAP-BAND®, but when I explained my choices for choosing the band over bypass he understood and I understood his choices as well. So I think everyone has to do what they feel is best for them, in my case, my 3 kids told me to go with a procedure with the fewest risk and complications :biggrin:

Honestly, I think it's twofold. First, it is the natural to want to believe that whatever you have chosen is the right choice. I know I'm that way about my band. I don't judge bypass patients, but I can't understand why you would want to go something that extreme to your internal organs. For what I've heard, the bypass folks can't understand why I would want something that requires all the aftercare that banding does.

Secondly, I think some of it is personality. For several years, I tried to talk myself into a bypass. I knew dieting was not working for me longterm and I thought surgery was an option. I didn't know about the band yet. I went to several informational meetings with a couple of different practices. The difference between the bypass patients and me was striking. My perception was that the group seemed desperate to lose weight at any cost. I didn't have the health issues that most of these people had and I had a pretty good life, despite my obesity. They were much more impressed by the speed of the weight loss. I wanted to know that the weight loss was forever. After the third meeting, I knew I was not having a bypass and I'd live with my weight, if need be.

Bottom line is...to each his own. There are many different options because of all our differences. I know several judgmental people who can't understand why I have a band even though they see my results daily. These folks would never consider surgery of any kind. I'm comfortable with my choice and I know it was right for me. That's what matters.

Cindy

Eh, I think it's the same as "my kid is smarter than your kid" or "my dog is bigger than your dog". Just human nature. ha ha

My mom had gastric by-pass and she lost all her weight, but her quality of life is zero. She sick, every day of her life and of course, since it's not reversable, she's stuck with that. Then if I get a stuck or have any kind of band issue she'll say "I'm sure glad I didn't have your surgery". Like her choice was better. In her case, it was not better, but she had hers so long ago, band wasn't a choice for her and her doc said lose weight or die, so she did what she had to do.

At the end of the day, its mostly competitive nature if you ask me.

Competitive??? I can understand that...but I don't chose to deal with it.

Thanks everyone.