Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder & Lapband at 64??

I'm male, 64 and 390 lbs on a 5ft 8in frame. Diets never worked long term for me. I have to have my gallbladder out and the doc said he does lapband and I could have them both done at the same time.

Rather than jumping in with both feet I decided it best to study the lapband and that has delayed my gallbladder surgery. The doc said he'd do just the gallbladder if I wanted. My GP thinks I should go for both at once. I've looked at the Yahoo groups and they are mostly positive and I pretty well decided to go ahead.

But I'm having problems coming to terms with 'can I do it' and 'do I want to do it?'

I've recently read that Medicare is not going to support any 'old' person 65 and over due to a 13% rate of males dying within 1 year -- they grouped all types of weight loss surgery in this total, so it's probably misleading. Even so, it's not the money -- I want to live.

Then i read here about erosion and general concern over the long term effect of the band.

Help me decide please. Should I have both done at once at my age? Should I go ahead with the band if I'm so unsure?

Brian

Brian,

5 years ago I had open heart surgery; 2 years later I had my gallbladder removed; and now I'm looking at the band. At the time I had my gallbladder out I haden't heard about the band or I most definitely would have done both at the same time. By the way I'm a 63 yr. old female. Age is just a number. I had durabond and steri-strips for my gallbladder and was up and around the same day. I came home the same day as a matter of fact. I had little pain and I can eat anything I want.

I personally think given our option I wouldn't hesitate to have both done at the same time. Why get cut twice? It makes no sense. They are both laparoscopic surgeries.

I'm not sure where you got the Medicare info if it was Medicare but it is gastric bypass that they don't want to do after 65. As of right now Lap Banding isn't even covered, although it probably will be by the first of Jan. Regardless, we will have to pay what Medicare doesn't. All the surgeons I've consulted have told me that. You on the other hand might get the gallbladder surgery paid for and the anesthesia and OR. That would be a great help to you I'm sure.

This is just my opinion, but trust me you aren't going to miss the gallbladder and while they are getting it out let them band you.

Good luck to you.

Brian, this is a personal decision for you, I don't think any of us would tell you to go one way or the other.

Listen to your heart.

Good Luck and I'll be praying that the decision comes easy for you.

Hugs!

Brian,

I just had my band placed and gallbladder out 3 days ago and am glad that I did both at the same time, the reason I came to that decision is I only had to recover one time instead of twice. We did talk about doing separate operations, due to a 1% chance of an infected band, but I was given Tequin before surgery and after surgery to fight any infection. I am doing well. Good luck in your decision, ask if you have any other questions.

Schel

Brian,

Since the Gallbladder surgery and lapband surgery can be done at the same time, it makes sense to me to go ahead with the lapband too. You recover once instead of twice. The recovery is a breeze.

It seems like your doctor is okay with the risk since he said it can be done at the same time.

The question to be answered is "are you prepared to change a lifetime of poor food decisions and the pychological loss of your best friend?"

You are going to have to find new ways to entertain yourself that doesn't involve a stop for fast food.

For me it was easy to make the decision because I was finally hopeful that the Lapband was the answer to 18 years of dieting and weighing 100 pounds more than I did at 38. I am 56, female and enjoy excellent health. ( other than achey knees and lower back from extra weight. )

The hardest part for me was the head hunger which was pretty strong in the first few weeks. I am now, one month post op and no longer struggle with that. In fact, I am hardly ever hungry. It may even be helpful for my grandkids because I am not dragging them to fast food and restaurants for treats and entertainment to feed my own habit.

Good luck in your decision and finally, I would ask myself..."What do you have to lose?"

Brian,

Like many hee say & I agree, only you can make that decision. But we are all here to help you and tell you about OUR experiences! I have had very good luck with my band-I had to have the stitches taken out,then put back in(as you will see on my signature),but both surgeries I was awake and was relatively no problem for me. The way i look at it is that I'd rather have a few surgeries extra and live many more years then never get the band done & and live a much shorter,unhealthier life.

I am very happy that I got the band, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Ive lost 60 lbs so far,and I already feel SO much healthier!

And,if you do get the surgery done-Id personally opt to do both at the sametime-why not get it all done at once and have only one recovery time.

Good luck on your decision! Remember we are always here to help you in any way we can! I know surgery can be a very difficult decision especially with such a life changing surgery,but the major plus to this surgery is that it can always be removed if you have any problems-although it is very unlikely. I havent met anyone else personally who has had to have 2 more surgeries like me..so i think Im just an oddball.LOL.

Good luck again!