Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the happy bandsters?

I came to this site in hopes of support for the lap band. I read nothing but horrible things happening to people. I know there are people out there that are happy with their bands. Are they all so happy they have chosen not to come here anymore. Support is supposed to make you happy, yet I'm constantly unhappy about things that are happening to people that are banded. It's such an expense, I'm rethinking it seriously. I can't afford some of the things that are happening to people. My dr. insisted on this over bypass surgery because it was safer, but it seems to me to take lots more upkeep. My daughter had her bypass, a check-up, and never went back. She received some support info by mail and never even read it. She did it all by herself and with a support group that was truly supportive. I'm NOT in any way saying that gastric by-pass is an alternative for me because my dr. forbids it, but I wish my dr. read more of the stuff on here and perhaps she would not be encouraging me to get the band.

So much has happened on here and I'm sad for so many people.

Please bring the happy bandsters back :)

Happy Happy Joy Joy (singing loudly!)

You know...sometimes it's human nature to just dwell on the tough stuff! As for me...I'm down 45 pounds with zero complications. I'm wearing new pants already, and I'm tucking in shirts again. Wahoo! The band is still not very restrictive for me...so tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner will be interesting. But this has been a great journey so far.

Keep checking back...there's a plenty of funny things that pop up. Of course...the other big reason for a support group is to find strength through the tough times. You'll always have people sharing their trials here. It's part of the deal. Honestly...if you looked at some of the entries on the bypass support sites...you'd see that their situations have similiar joys and pitfalls. Actually, some of the threads I've read on bypass sites are far more serious and side-affects more dangerous. I wish I could tell you that it's rosey for everybody all the time...but you take the good with the bad in every choice you make. Weight loss surgery included.

Best of luck to you in the future!

Jon

Well, we've already established Mars is in retrograde this month (Crys, WHEN does that change???).

We've had some well-known and loved bandsters in this group suffer some terrible setbacks. Nobody's giving up, but many of us need to take a breath and process it all. I suggest you do a search back a few weeks and you can catch us at a *happier* time.

I'm sure those days will come again. But personally, I really appreciate the HONESTY here. And honestly life without and WITH the band sometimes SUCKS.

Guest myband

Supperdaddy & Kare'

You have just said it all for me................

I've been banded since July and would not go back on my decision. My sister had Deudenal Switch Surgery 4 years ago and she still suffers different problems from the malabsorption caused by the surgery. I wanted to be as close to normal as possible.

I had what they thought was a little reflux 3 weeks after banding till just a little while ago. I used to think - I couldn't stand it if the band had caused it and my doc told me to let my body get adjusted. Happily - I feel much better now and I don't take any meds at all. I'm glad I didn't get scared - I'm glad I have the band.

I also worry about all the bad reports - but I am happy to have the info. I do take note of the success stories - look once at the before and after pics - they tell a story....one that gives me hope.

I hope that you find some comfort here and know that a lot of us are very happy that we have had the band.

Remember - most of us are women and we like to over-study, over-worry things and the band being new - this is a wide open arena for us.

The best thing we can do is to continue a good relationship with our doctors. I am troubled quite often by the reports that people have when they have problems and it seems if the docs don't know something they (some) try to avoid the patient. These reports scare me and I am hoping that I never run into problems like that. My docs seem so nice - I can't imagine them being like some of these reports.

One of the things I like is the relationship that I have with my lap band nurse - she is available to me by phone anytime and she meets with me once a month to go over anything regarding my band, my progress, my concerns, etc. This is a very helpful service that was part of the lap band surgery so it is paid in full for a year after surgery. My nurse can then report any problems to the doc and have tests, etc. ordered by the doc and if I would need to see the doc she sets this up.

But nothing can compare to the knowledge that if I have any question - at any time of day - if I just want to vent fears, problems, victories, whatever - I can come to LAPBANDTALK and find a place where I belong.

Thanks guys - Nancy

I'm not sure I can add to what the others have said, but I am also extremely happy and have had no problems. As you can see by my numbers, my progress has been great. For the first time in 25 years I am full of life and energy. I can keep up with my 3 year old and loving every second of it. I would do it again without question.

There is an old saying bad news get told to 11 people on average and good news to only 3. Multipy the gossip factor, you have a bunch of people focusing on the negative.

You never here, OMG she just got off her two week plateau.

I am a 6 month bander and have lost 65 pounds. It has been an exciting, difficult at time and emotional road. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

You have to remember also that this is a support site. Therefore, the few folks that do have problems will post here for support. This is a great site for getting both sides of the experience (which is what you want). Another good site is Obesityhelp.com, they have a lapband board under forums. Check it out if you have not already. Best of luck in your journey.

Just becuase some of us have problems does not mean we are not happy.

Losing 104 lbs with my band..UMMM I would say I am definately happy. Losing my band due to erosion NOT so happy but I could of never lost the 104 lbs without my band or otherwise I would of. There are risks and compl;ications associated with every surgery..and support is just not about all the good things that happen with the band. I would think one who is considering the band would like to hear the good, the bad, & the ugly so they are 100% copmpletely aware, just my opinion. I would not wanted to have gone into this not knowing about slippage or erosion.

I am a HAPPY bandster erosion or not :)

My life has changed so much for the better with my band. Iwill be forever thankful for the time I was blessed with it.

Two months ago, when I was making the decision to get the band, I stumbled on this site. (After reading a gazillion before and after stories from Dr.Websites, obesityhelp.com etc.) I had a hard time even finding out what the heck PBing was! Seemed like everyone was more than pleased with their progress. I noted that some bandsters were more successful with their weightloss but for the most part everyone was plugging away.

Everyone take a deep breath. There are many success stories. Michelle is a success story. The band works. It is not a magic bullet. It is a tool. Anybody read the failure rate of a Pacemaker? Now that is scary..

I'm a HAPPY BANDSTER! I'm only 7 1/2 weeks out but I have lost 17 lbs. I feel great. My scars aren't that bad. I've had no complications. I've only got food stuck once and it went thru in an hour - it hurt but no throw up or anything. All in all I am SO SO happy and I love my band. I think the reason you see "bad" posts on here is b/c people post bulletins when they have problems. I don't see any reason to post a bulletin that I am happy with my band but maybe I should start doing that so people like you can see those of us who are happy and problem-free! Good luck!

I'm a thrilled bandster! I've lost 52 lbs that without a doubt I'd still be carrying around this Thanksgiving, had I not chosen the band.

For the newby bandsters, hopefully you too will become as close to your fellow LBT members as most of us have. Though I have not met but a couple face to face, I feel as though so many are my personal and I do mean personal friends. I could PM anyone of many on here with a problem and they would be there for me, as I would be for them.

Michelle and Jonathan, VQ and others who have and are suffering a setback cause us to be concerned and caring, because their plight could happen to any of us at any time, but most of all, because we are family here and we all have the same goal...to lose weight, be healthier and ultimately happier with ourselves.

With that in mind, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I am nearly crying when I write, 'I am so happy I could cry'!!! I am so happy with my band I can't believe it....49 pounds are gone FOREVER and that's the first time in my life I have been able to say that. I am lovin' life and my band!!!