Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I desperately need your story if your band didn't work at first.

I've had my band since November 24th. I've had 4 fills and have had some restriction, but not enough. I've only lost 20lbs. I go back to my surgeon next week and I know he'll be disappointed cause he really seams to care. If you lost more later in your band experience; please post a story here. In the meantime, I'll keep hanging on. I really don't want to give up. I didn't spend 17k for 20lbs.

Much love!

Susie

I started with an empty band due to complications. I was banded on December 16th and hungry almost immediately. It took 5 fills for me to reach restriction but it seemed like forever before I started losing weight. But I am now! Just hang in there and keep going back to the doctor for your fills. You will get there! Best wishes!!!

Thank you, thank you!!!!:)

I was banded 11.25.09, and I didn't really start losing until April. It took me five fills to get some restriction and a sixth to get real restriction. I still don't think I'm at my sweet spot, but I am hanging in there.

I lost 23 lbs pre-op and another 17 in the few weeks after surgery. I didn't lose anymore until April. But once it started coming off, it's coming off!

If your surgeon is nice, work with him! He is there to help you - once you reach restriction, I promise, it'll be much easier!

Until the band is adjusted enough to restrict the food by force, all you can do is diet and exersie till the appointment time comes up for another fill. It took me 4 months of fiddling around argueing with the doctor till it finally ratched it up enough to do the job. Now the weight is really coming down. All my prior diets and exersise failed, too weak you know. What it took for me was a phyical barrier like the band. Its great now. But I still vomit when I forget and take a big bite. I am like a dog that you toss a snack at. I just gobble it down. Now with the band that no longer can happen. Just keep tightening the band till it cuts off all room for mistakes and it WILL WORK.

wow I really need to hear this today! I have been banded since feb and lost only 17 pounds....was starting to feel really down! but this gives me hope!

I am sooooo glad I came across this thread. My surgery was in April. I have lost 27lbs. Today I received my second fill. It has been 3weeks since the first one. I'm not sure how much he added the last, but he told me I had 1.4cc in to begin with and today he added 1cc. so I am thinking I have 3.4cc at most. I of course lost the first two weeks with the diet being so strict. I followed it to the "T" I was so scared. But now I find myself overeating often. I am so happy to hear there will be more restriction felt than now.

Thank you ALL so much for your stories of hope. I really needed to hear/read them.

(hugs)

Susie

If you don't have enough restriction, you definitely need another fill. Proper restriction doesn't mean that you can't eat solid food, or that you are pb'ing or sliming all the time. It just means that if you eat slow, take small bites and are conscious about what you are eating, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Many times people assume that the pb'ing and sliming are just a part of the game. Not necessarily. When I was too tight, I had about 2-3 times a week where I was having trouble with eating. Since I've had some taken out, those occurences are much more rare - maybe once a month (and of my own doing by eating too fast, or eating bread when I'm tight, etc).

Some bandsters have trouble with certain foods, but not all. I don't have any that I have to stay away from, just some that make me uncomfortable and take a long time to eat, so I limit those foods.

Don't be afraid to get fills, just make sure you don't get too much. You really do need proper restriction to make the journey easier. And yes, you can lose weight months down the road.

Whatever you do, please do not get discouraged over this!

I get the feeling that a lot of people never received proper education about how weight loss works with a band from their surgeons and then they end up in a situation like yours and wonder what's wrong with them. My surgeon was very upfront with me about expectations before surgery.

Here's what he told me in a nutshell.

The lap band people state that expected weight loss is about 1lb per week once your band is properly adjusted.Which my surgeon is in total agreement with. Any weight we lose prior to this is basically dieting. So look at it this way, you've have some great success without your band helping you much at all! Give yourself a pat on the back.

Now for my personal story:

I was banded in August last year. Including pre-op and those first several weeks after surgery where I had good restriction due to swelling, I lost 12lbs. And then..... I slowed down to losing a tiny fraction of a pound each week. We are talking like a 1/4 of a pound, sometimes 1/2 a pound until I reached good restriction, which was in April.

Since my 6th fill in April, my restriction level has been terrific. It makes all the difference in the world. It seemed like it took me such a long time to get there but it was worth the wait. Now my weight loss has increased to about 1lb a week. Once in a while it's 2lbs a week.

Please hang in there!

I'm glad to see your post too -- Ilovebeagles -- I was also banded Aug. 09. I lost pretty much weight in the beginning by November had had lost 47 to 50 pounds. I've been at a stand still all this time. Getting a little frustrated. The doctor seems to think I'm doing good. Not to worry everyone hits a plataeu -- This long though. Arrgh:cursing: I had another fill today and we'll see what happens now. I've been trying to walk ever night about 40 mins hoping this will kick things in gear. Wish me luck this fill will be it.

Hi - I'm having the same difficulty! I was banded on 3/2/10 and I've only lost a bit over 20 lbs. (10 of which I lost before surgery). I have had 5 fills, but had to have an unfill twice, because of pain (too tight). I'm going in tomorrow and will have a slight fill. I hope it works and I don't have to rush in the day after to have it removed. Right now all I feel like I'm doing is dieting and exercising my head off! I feel like crying! I hope things are looking up for you! Please let me know if anything has improved.

Thanks! (I'm so glad I saw your comments; I thought I was the only one who was having issues!)

I have always been a slow loser. I'm 19 months out now (my surgery was November 2008), and I'm down somewhere around 75 pounds (I've met my initial goal--I'm not sure of what my new goal is, but I'll know when I get there). I feel great, I look good:tongue:. My confidence is off the charts like never before in my life. I get compliments every day. And--my doctor has ALWAYS been happy with my progress. I usually lost anywhere from 2-4 pounds per month. I even gained some months. My doctor and I discussed each loss/gain as they came and I was often disappointed in my band, and myself in the beginning -- almost the whole first year (even if I lost a few pounds I didn't feel it was enough). My doctor always said it was normal--he's happy with ANY loss. But now I am extremely happy also. I've had to learn patience and to look at the positives...I wasn't gaining for once in my life! Or dieting!!! Also--If you lose too fast and you have a lot to lose, you are more likely to have loose skin. I am totally happy with where I am now. I was an 18-20 in the beginning and now I'm in 12's...soon to be moving to 10s. I also had to come to the conclusion that (even though I knew this going in) that this was not magic and that I would have to work it. I am one that has to exercise. I love the feeling though of not feeling like I am on diet. I eat whatever I want (and can--I've not been able to tolerate bread) in moderation. I've never been overly strict on myself which also contributes to my slower weight loss I'm sure. I don't limit myself by telling myself that I'm on a diet and I can't have xxx. That's why I chose the band. And I'm glad every day that I did. Give it time, and good luck.

I agree, I was banded August 2009, and I didn't have a pre-band diet, so I lost 17 lbs right away, then another 12lbs, and was really good, I have been at a stand still for a little while, however, my fills have been slow, August was surgery, 1st week of October 1st fill with 3cc's in a 10 cc band, then November another 1.5 cc, then .5cc's in December and only .5cc in February finally my doctor listened to me and gave a full cc this week which is now May and I am at 6.5cc's and I finally feel restriction, as described in the books and on this site. I have been really careful about how fast I eat and the portion size, and although it hasn't been long since my last fill. I know I have reached my sweet spot. I see the surgeon in 2 months to see how things are moving plus it will be my year anniversary... I wish I could have gotten here sooner but I am good for the ride. :thumbup:Hang in there...