Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just begining the research!

I've tried dozens of weightloss techniques and strategies, most recently I've been on weightwatchers and visted with a nutritionist. None of which have I been able to stick with. I've gained and lost weight since I was 13 years old, never keeping it off for more than a few months at a time. Now I'm 22, in an amazing relationship and working on my bachelor's degree.

Since graduating in 2005 I've packed on 40lbs, going up a pant size steadily each year. I'm currently 5'4" tall and 240lbs. I've always been told I wear my weight well and that no one would guess I squeeze into a size 20 bottoms and an XXL top. Which of course is not very reassuring to me. I'm proportionally heavy, with thick hips, a big butt, and a big chest.

I'm healthy, but unhappy. I'd like to be fit enough to go on long hikes with my boyfriends 8 year old daughter, to ride bike, to swim, and eventually my ultimate goal is to be able to jog/run. And most importantly (excuse my bluntness) I want to be able to make love to my boyfriend without the lights off and tshirt on!

I do not have any children of my own, and do not plan on having any until I complete my master's degree and get married (Cross my fingers!). Losing this weight now will make my future so much brighter, I simply don't want my life to be weighed down by this weight any longer.

Sorry for the excessive biography whish is probably unnessisary. Here are my questions:

Is 23 too young to get the surgery? My BMI is currently 41.

My mother also wants to get the surgery, how do we find the absolute BEST surgeon around?

I've found some websites for seminars on banding, should this be my first step into finding a doctor?

I'm currently on my father's insurance but he just retired and it's going to be cut off soon. Will the surgeon's be able to let me know if my college insurance will cover the surgery?

Do I HAVE to have a referral from another doctor to go any further?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later! Any suggestions are welcomed! Thank's so much.

Jcp,

I started my lapband journey in Feb 2010. With your age and BMI....you totally qualify for the band! Here are the steps that I took to get me banded.....

1. called my insurance company to see if the band was covered

2. attended a seminar (Feb)

3. Nutrition consult, group talk with surgeon (Mar)

4. Psych eval (April)

That is all my surgeon needed....My insurance approved Apr 27.

I had a one on one consultation with the surgeon on May 19 and surgery is scheduled for June 7.

If you get a start on the process now, you might make it before your father loses his insurance. Also, after I attended the seminar, nurse in the office kept in touch with me the whole time as to what I needed to do and what I needed to give her.

Anyways.....start the ball rolling and call your insurance company. And research as much as you can about the band. I have researched for about 4 years and I am now ready!!! Good luck to you!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches