Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and need encouragement

I had my surgery done on March 24, 2010, so officially it's been less than 2 months.

Right after surgery, during the liquid and puree time, I lost 13 pounds. Since then, I've had a "fill" done on April 22nd and haven't lost anything since. Not a single pound! Luckily, I haven't gained either, but I'm already at a plateau???

The other frustrating thing is so far I am not feeling it at all, I can eat the same things and same amount that I always could.

I know you don't usually feel the difference until about the 2nd or 3rd filling, but I am just so frustrated with the complete stale mate that I am in right now.

Suggestions?

It sounds like this might be at least part of the reason your weight loss has stalled. You say that you can eat the same things/amounts you always could before. Are you doing so? I haven't had a fill yet, but my understanding is that until one gets restriction it is up the individual to control what they eat with good diet choices. Are you logging your food intake and getting plent of Protein? How about exercise? Hang in there during this apparent bandster hell.

The other frustrating thing is so far I am not feeling it at all, I can eat the same things and same amount that I always could.

I am trying to eat better, things like fish, steamed veggies and salads. I've gotten the 100 calorie snack packs for when I need a "crunch" or "sweet" but I do admit I've had some issues with being hungry and eating things I shouldn't.

I've really tried to track my food on fitday.com and that helps me be honest with myself.

I'm doing exercise too but could step it up a bit.

That's great that you're working on the diet while you apparently don't have restriction. Have you let your doctor know that you're having troubles? Maybe they could help you additionally with diet or even work on your band restriction. I find that support groups as well as what you're doing by posting here is really helpful to. Good luck.

I am trying to eat better, things like fish, steamed veggies and salads.

Thanks ... I won't give up. I see the doctor again on the 24th and hope they'll do more for me then.

Been there and done that. Got banded Dec. 30th 09, and hit the plateau after 15 pounds and again at 25. Just had my fourth fill and am finally starting to feel restriction. Being able to eat normally, while on some levels comforting, is also disheartening and confusing at the same time. You definitely have to treat it like any other diet for awhile so that you can at least maintain your progress. But it does get better, even though it takes a little longer in some people than others.

Hang in there! I remember all too well what it was like to not yet be at your sweet spot....talk about frustrating! I had my first fill which didn't seem to do a darn thing and then a month later got my second -- and have been doing great ever since! I had started to think that the whole sweet spot thing was a myth - that I wasn't going to be able to do it....but lo and behold once I got the right restriction it was SOOOOOO much easier!

SO hang in there - be sure to tell you doctor if your fills don't seem to be helping....some of the docs here will let you come in earlier and not make you wait a month until the next one if after a few days you feel no change.

Good luck - you can do it! :thumbup:

I sympathize with you. It is really hard until your band is adjusted right -- and it does take a while to get it filled just right for you. It sounds like you are definitely trying to make better choices than presurgery. Maybe your meals don't look exactly like they will (in content and size) once your at your optimal fill level, but you are on your way!

So, please just hang in there and keep focusing on making better choices than you did before the surgery and moving more than before surgery and you will see some more weight come off. It might not be a whole lot, but hey it's certainly better than you were doing before having the surgery, right? Once you get the band adjusted the weight loss will be a bit easier because your hunger will be better managed.

Take Care,

Trixie

Yes the first month or so is hard, basically you are doing it all on your own since the band isn't filled much.

I would encourage you to really monitor your Protein as that will keep you full longer and help you more on the scale.< /p>

I also lost like 15 then stood still for like 2 weeks, then lose few more, then have no loss for 10 days. It takes a while and every time I get on the scale I still hold my breath.

Probably doesn't help that I want to jump on the scale every morning and night. :thumbup:

Thank you all for the encouragement, helps to know I'm not alone in this.

I can eat the same things and same amount that I always could.
Do you know Einstein's definition of insanity? Basically, it says that insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

If you are eating the same things, in the same amounts, as you did preoperatively, you will not experience the weight loss you want to see.

You CAN lose weight as you work toward restriction. It requires really overhauling what you eat. And it involves exercising.

Yes, it's dieting. But it is the last time, in your life, you will go hungry in the name of weight loss.

Once you approach restriction, it gets LOTS easier! Hang in there.

Very true.

I've been real conscious of my eating this week, still sort of maintaining, but at least not gaining back by bad habits.

If my family has spaghetti and garlic bread, I have about a 1/4 cup of spaghetti and then salad.

Still, no drinking for 45 minutes after, that helps too. And also, drinking LOTS of Water through out the day.

I'm not giving up, it took me years to gain this weight, I won't drop it overnight.

I had my surgery done on March 24, 2010, so officially it's been less than 2 months.

Right after surgery, during the liquid and puree time, I lost 13 pounds. Since then, I've had a "fill" done on April 22nd and haven't lost anything since. Not a single pound! Luckily, I haven't gained either, but I'm already at a plateau???

I know you don't usually feel the difference until about the 2nd or 3rd filling, but I am just so frustrated with the complete stale mate that I am in right now.

Suggestions?

I was banded on 3/24 also. Let me ask you this:

What are you eating?

How much are you eating?

Are you exercising?

I count my calories everyday and most of what I eat are lean Proteins. I also drink 2 Protein Shakes a day with 35 grams of Protein each in them. I walk for 45 mins/day and 4 to 5 times a week I do a 50 min Walk Away The Pounds video on top of the walking. I'm not eating any Pasta or bread except for maybe the occasional chicken noodle Soup from Panera. You may be eating too much or too little or it could just be what you're eating. :thumbup: Right now it is definitely 95% willpower. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself. You lost and haven't gained it back. That in itself is hard enough right now. Also make sure you're getting your Water in everyday!

Sorry if this post sounds all over the place. I haven't had my coffee yet. :laugh:

Very true.

I've been real conscious of my eating this week, still sort of maintaining, but at least not gaining back by bad habits.

If my family has spaghetti and garlic bread, I have about a 1/4 cup of spaghetti and then salad.

Still, no drinking for 45 minutes after, that helps too. And also, drinking LOTS of Water through out the day.

I'm not giving up, it took me years to gain this weight, I won't drop it overnight.

SOOOOO very true! Also, if you are having difficulty doing everything all at once try working on your calories first. When you are able to keep that under control for a whole week add 1 day of 30 minutes of exersize. After a week add another thing (like a second day of exersize). If you focus on one thing at a time, sometimes it is easier than trying to overhaul how you eat, exercize and drink all at once. Ensuring your calorie count is where it should be first is the most important step.

I HATE to exersize. I mean H A T E it. So instead what I have found are doing things that burn calories that I think are fun. Like dancing...horsebackriding...martial arts. Anything that gets me off my butt and moving.

You are doing great- you have already lost weight and it looks like you are working on your eating habits. GOOD JOB!!!!