Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Discouraged

Hey guys, I just want to see if there is anyone out there that has had little to no weight loss with the LAP-BAND®...I was banded 12.1.09...I was 296 and as of today 5/9/10 I weigh 272....a total loss of 24lbs in 5 months...I feel like such a freaking failure! I no longer have the same surgeon...he made me feel like something he flushed down the toilet...I know I have a 10cc band, but for some reason, he wouldn't tell me how much I have in my band....I have been working out lately and I have noticed a little difference...I have a new surgeon that I will start seeing June1st...what exactly is restriction supposed to feel like? I can eat more than a cup of food and still be hungry...the only difference I feel since I had the surgery is the feeling of certain foods getting "stuck"....I don't eat as much as I used to before I got the band....so, that's a good thing...but if there is anyone out there that has experienced the same thing, or has any pointer, plz help me. Thanks

Hello Discouraged,

In order for us to give you suggestions you need to be very detailed. How much are you working out, what exactly are you eating, how much are you sleeping, what are you drinking... This way we can figure out what you need to do and make suggestions that will really help you.

:confused:

Eating a cup of food and still being hungry sounds like you need more restriction. Also, are you drinking liquids within an hour of your meals? That will flush the food through faster and create hunger sooner. Exercise daily for at leasy 30 minutes is the key, though. You can break it up into 3 10 minute sessions. Good luck and don't give up!

I am approaching my one year mark and I have only lost 35 lb. I have had two fills and have 6 cc in my band. Some days I can eat alot and some days I can't. I met with a dietician and she explained I am not eating enough of the right food. My calorie intake was good but I was still eating too much fat. I am struggling but I feel great. I am down a size & a half, I look better, Sex is better, my energy level is better, my knees don't hurt, I don't snore anymore, I can wear a regular size underwear, ..... I can go on and on thinking about what a differnce 35 lbs made to my life. I am working on my diet and working out more. It will take time to get my act together. I have learn to love myself and take baby steps to improve myself. I will lose the 100 pounds I need to lose. I take one day at a time and try to enjoy every minute. Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep trying different things until you find what works for you and your life.

Good Luck

Hello Discouraged,

In order for us to give you suggestions you need to be very detailed. How much are you working out, what exactly are you eating, how much are you sleeping, what are you drinking... This way we can figure out what you need to do and make suggestions that will really help you.

:confused:

Well, I am working out at least four times a week, doing an hour on the stationalry bike (which usually i do between 17-19 miles) and then I do 30 min on the treadmill. Some days I switch up and do 30 min on the elliptical trainer. I basically eat mostly salads, fruit and I try to eat meat, but i have such a hard time getting it to go down, every now and then I will get some french fries, and when I do, i make sure i spend extra time @ the gym. I really dont sleep that much, i work 7p to 7a, and when I make it home, i'll get myself together for bout an hour then I go to the gym. I usually go to sleep around 10am on the days I go to the gym after work...then I sleep until 5pm to get ready 4 work.

Eating a cup of food and still being hungry sounds like you need more restriction. Also, are you drinking liquids within an hour of your meals? That will flush the food through faster and create hunger sooner. Exercise daily for at leasy 30 minutes is the key, though. You can break it up into 3 10 minute sessions. Good luck and don't give up!

Exactly what does restriction suposed to feel like? Is it the sensation of being full quick? I wait 30 min before I drink after i eat or 30 min before eating after i drink....Thank u!

I am approaching my one year mark and I have only lost 35 lb. I have had two fills and have 6 cc in my band. Some days I can eat alot and some days I can't. I met with a dietician and she explained I am not eating enough of the right food. My calorie intake was good but I was still eating too much fat. I am struggling but I feel great. I am down a size & a half, I look better, Sex is better, my energy level is better, my knees don't hurt, I don't snore anymore, I can wear a regular size underwear, ..... I can go on and on thinking about what a differnce 35 lbs made to my life. I am working on my diet and working out more. It will take time to get my act together. I have learn to love myself and take baby steps to improve myself. I will lose the 100 pounds I need to lose. I take one day at a time and try to enjoy every minute. Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep trying different things until you find what works for you and your life.

Good Luck

I try to watch my fat intake as well, staying away from the foods my surgeon gave me on the list of foods to never eat...I do feel a slight difference with my little bit of weight loss, but I am just so ready to be excited and happy with the weight actually leaving. I kinda feel like I don't even have a band! lol, but good luck to you as well, I know we can do it, I'm just having a very hard time because I my friend had the lapband as well, and she lost 105lbs in her first 6 months! So, I'm not feeling to great about myself these days.

I told myself as long as I lost 1-2lbs a week I would be happy, but the truth is I do get discouraged when I see people at 2 weeks post-op with a 30lb loss and I have only lost 15 and ten of that was on the pre-op diet. I have no real advice to give, just saying I feel your pain.

I am new to this but with what you are eating, it doesn't sound like you are eating enough Protien. Women need between 50-60 a day and men 60 to 70. If you are not eating enough Protein your body goes into to hibernation mode. You will not lose weight at all if you are not eating enough protein for your body to survive.

Nicole

wow you sound just like me, i had my surgury jan 15, 2010 and i am only down 28lbs and very discouraged. i also workout 4 to 5 times a week i do alittle cardio and alot of weights and work out on the swiss ball. i get all my Protein in and eat very little food but yet the scale does not move. i am at the point where i think something is wrong with me. my doc says everyone is different and just hang in there. he has just prescriped me a diet pill in hopes that it will help jump start my weight loss i'm hoping and praying this helps. i will keep you informed.

I feel your pain, I've been banded since July 2009 and have been battling the weight ever since. Although, upon looking at what I've been eating I realize that I really have a sugar addiction. I'm not sure how to compensate for it or how to get over it. It's a struggle

I do workout a lot, but I too can eat over a cup of food at a time, even though I know I'm only supposed to be eating a half cup...it's frustrating being a slow loser. i'm glad I'm not alone.

I feel your pain, I've been banded since July 2009 and have been battling the weight ever since. Although, upon looking at what I've been eating I realize that I really have a sugar addiction. I'm not sure how to compensate for it or how to get over it. It's a struggle

I do workout a lot, but I too can eat over a cup of food at a time, even though I know I'm only supposed to be eating a half cup...it's frustrating being a slow loser. i'm glad I'm not alone.

have you thought about start eating low carb?

Yes I also am a slow loser. I have lost just over 30 pounds in a year and three months which puts me at about two pounds a month instead of the two pounds a week my Dr said was the norm. But I am 7 BMI's down. And I know I need more restriction because I too eat more than a cup of food at a time. Until our restriction is ok then we wont lose weight at the right speed. The problem is that I have had more restriction and I hated PBing. I eat about half what I used to eat and I work out for two hours three times a week. Its a learning process and a life style change and I wasnt as gung hoe as some others who are losing it faster. If this is the speed I lose at then I deal with that; or else I go back in for a fill and get the kind of restriction that only allows for a cup at a time and also makes me PB anytime I eat breads or cabs and causes me acid reflux. Its a decision I struggle with. I think in Jan I may go in for a fill and deal with the side effects to lose weight faster. I think for the acid reflx my Dr can prescribe me something and as far as carbs go, I will just have to stop eating them with the tighter restriction.

I am two months out and lost 10lbs pre-op and only 3-4lbs since then :thumbup: I feel ya. But, I do think it is because I don't have enough restriction for the band to be working yet. I am hoping to get somethign better next time.

I've only lost 41 lbs in two years, but it's coming off again. Turns out I was eating more sugar than I was paying attention too. Once I stopped the carnation instant Breakfast and went back to a Protein Drink in the morning, the weight started coming off again. So, it might be slow for some of us, but we need to watch our diets too.