Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is your life different post-op?

I am just starting my journey and am looking for real-life answers. I have seen posts about eating post-op and I have been to a seminar, but there seems to be such a wide range of post-op experineces. Everything from "I can still eat a 6 inch sub," to "if I drink Water too fast it comes out like a fountain." I understand that the first 3 months after surgery will be different, but after that, life goes on as a "new normal." What does that look like for you? What does a day worth of food look like? What does "cheating" look like post-op? How do you deal with everyone around you eating "normal" sized meals when you do not? I guess these are just a few of the bazillon questions I have. Thanks so much for your imput!

Blessings!

My surgeon added 4cc. to my band on the day I was banded, so I've had great restriction from day one. From what I've heard...everyone is different and the first few months is about finding the green zone. Where you eat small portions, and are able to control hunger.

When my family sits down for a meal...it's still the same. I just eat from a saucer plate instead of a big dinner plate. Since I chew slow and take thirty minutes to eat... I'm usually the last one eating. It's crazy how much I was able to consume in just ten minutes before I was banded.

If you'd like my advice...get into the routine of things. Write everything you eat down in a food journal. Establish an exercise routine. Start slow and work up to where you'd like to be. The only speed too slow is standing still, so just start it and keep at it. For me...eating around the same times everyday also has helped with my weight loss.

Hi there, (sorry, this is kind of long...)

You pose a very good question! I am 9 months out today and just last month got to optimal restriction, even though it took me a long time to get to this point, it was worth the wait! NOW I know what everyone meant by staying not hungry for 4 -5 hours after a meal and only being able to eat tiny meals. It's fantastic!

So what is life like for me now?

Eating wise: most of my meals are just under 1 cup of food. (No way can I eat a 6 inch sub) I simply cannot eat more, of anything (well except for probably ice cream, but I've not tried that and lettuce) or it is horribly uncomfortable. Getting used to that is a real head trip. Somedays my eyes see a good sized salad or really any kind of food and tell my stomach they want to eat all of it or even most of it. No can do!

My dietictian from my surgeon's office really discourages the concept of "cheating". I can have a small special treat now an then so long as it is just that: a small, special treat. That is not cheating, it's what we call normal. When is the last time you've ever seen a normal weight person that NEVER eats a treat? So, once in a while (every week or two) I will have a 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup of some kind of dessert -- comepletely guilt free.

We have pizza night at our house on Fridays and pre surgery I could eat 3 or 4 slices of a large pizza (sometimes more). Now I can only eat 1 very small slice. It's hard to get in enough Protein for that meal, so I will sometimes have a protrein hot chocolate that day to get in a bit more or eat heavier Protein for Breakfast and lunch or a protein snack at 3pm.

Now, I very rarely feel the need to snack. Before surgery I would be starving 2-3 hours after a meal and always want a snack morning, afternoon and at 5:30 (we eat supper late).

Here is a typical day's worth of meals for me:

Breakfast (one of these)

(Yogurt Mix of 3 ingredients)

1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt

2-3 Tbsp granola

1/2 cup of fruit

1 egg, 2 ounces ham, 1 ounce of lowfat cheese

1/4 cup of steel cut oats, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp brown sugar

Lunch:

1/2 cup tuna or chicken salad made with lowfat mayo

6 whole-grain-lots-of-Fiber crackers

Garden salad with chicken (1 cup of lettuce and 3 ounces chicken) Sometimes I make this southwest style with blackbeans and cheese.

dinner leftover which would consist of 3 ounces of baked chicken, pork, fish or beef and 1/3 cup of veggies and maybe a Tablespoon or two of mashed potatoes.

Hope this helps! If you would like more details you can check out my blog in the link below.

I am just starting my journey and am looking for real-life answers. I have seen posts about eating post-op and I have been to a seminar, but there seems to be such a wide range of post-op experineces. Everything from "I can still eat a 6 inch sub," to "if I drink Water too fast it comes out like a fountain." I understand that the first 3 months after surgery will be different, but after that, life goes on as a "new normal." What does that look like for you? What does a day worth of food look like? What does "cheating" look like post-op? How do you deal with everyone around you eating "normal" sized meals when you do not? I guess these are just a few of the bazillon questions I have. Thanks so much for your imput!

Blessings!

sb01 - I am purposely going to be very general in my answers because I feel like the journey is different for everyone. In my experience, the change in my mindset has been the most difficult. Normal varies depending on what level of restriction a person chooses to be. When I was too tight, I got acid reflux at night if I ate less than 3 hours before bedtime or drank 1 1/2 hours before bed...never a problem pre-surgery. I also would slime and pb a couple of times a week and most things I would try to eat were very uncomfortable. Not that they wouldn't stay down, but difficult and uncomfortable so I would avoid or limit those foods...which may make you choose "slider" foods defeating the purpose of the band. It was hard to me to get in enough liquids during the day because I could only take very small sips and the Fluid felt like it sat at the base of my throat, then would finally go down.

It took a 4-5 months to get used to and be satisfied that a little food is all I would be able to eat. I went through a period of buying way too much, or ordering way too much, and not being able to enjoy it. Now, it is second nature. Cheating for me tends to be potato chips, because I can eat them fast, eat alot of them, and they go right through. Not healthy, high calories, and no nutritional value to me is cheating. I'm not perfect, I still do it...just not so much.

Now when I eat, I tend to follow a pattern that is technically not what many dieticians or physicians recommend in that I eat dinner in front of the tv or computer usually. You are supposed to be "mindful" of your eating. But after the band, I simply put what I want to eat on my plate and it may take me 1/2 hour to 40 minutes to eat it. I don't bring an endless bag of something and munch, I just eat what is on my plate until I'm full. When we go out, it can be difficult because my husband eats like it's his last meal, but he is okay with me taking time to eat and doesn't push me (I tend to push myself). Since I don't eat as much, it's not much of an issue.

A day's worth of food maybe a Protein shake for breakfast. A small sandwich made with toasted bread, cheese and meat for lunch. A yogurt with a handful of granola for mid-afternoon, and 3-4 oz of meat and a few forkfulls of cottage cheese, mashed potatoes or mixed fruit for dinner. If I get the munchies in the evening, I may be a handful of granola, a couple of flavored rice cakes, or a handful of nuts. (This is a "good" day). Bad days...we all know what those are like!

I wish you all the success you can have with the band. It has been the best thing for me no doubt!

Thanks everyone! I would love to hear some more stories!

I'm nearly five years out and live a normal life - most people think I have a small appetite, but that's it. I eat from all food groups in all situations. Occasionally, I do vomit if I eat too fast (we had peking duck pancakes at home the other night, any type of food you eat with your hands that falls apart is danger for me, I shove it down to avoid dropping it!). Some days I'm annoyingly tight and have to take it easy, but I dont worry about going out to eat with friends etc, I eat normally, just not a lot.

I run almost daily and do boot camp - I love exercise now!

I'm training the grade 3 to 6's for cross country at the moment, the only teacher in our small school that a) knows anything about running and :thumbup: can actually do it. I'm somewhat of a hero to the kids, our school has never placed before! That's not the me from my previous life!

I am 4 months out but I would say the main thing is getting into a routine. I don't know if you have children but it's alot easier for me to eat the same things breakfast & lunch then I can splurge on calories for supper. My breakfast is a Protein shake & a banana. lunch is a snack size ziplock bag of Special K Cereal, sugar free Jello, & a piece of fruit. Then at dinner I try to make wiser choices but my family eats out alot. Both my kids play ball so we have dinner at the ballpark 1-2 nights a week. Most of the time I choose butterless popcorn & a Water but I have had a slice of pizza. I don't consider anything "cheating" because this is a new lifestyle. The things I would really like but know I can't have anymore are big pieces of meat. I can see a commercial for a steak & my mouth waters but I can't even bring myself to order it out somewhere. The times where I have gotten stuck have always been when I have taken too big of a bite & for me it is usually the first bite. I guess I am so hungry that the old self takes over but I soon realize that I am the new me & I can't do that. Breads usually always get stuck with me also.

The other part is exercise- just like eating you have got to get into a routine to be sucessful. The majority of my exercise comes from a stationary bike that I ride in front of the TV at night for about 75 minutes. With the warmer tempertures I have been walking more, my goal is to run a 5K in September. I think I can, I think I can =)

I feel all in all I have done well (55 pounds in 4 months) but there is still more to go.

Good luck!

I am much more aware of my nutritional needs now. I journal and make sure I get enough Protein, at least 60 grams. It becomes a new normal. I can't even imagine eating a 6" sub now. If I tried, it would take me all day! Because of all the Protein I eat and my restriction, I don't feel hungry, which is half the battle. Getting enough Water is still a challenge. I just keep a bottle of Water with me wherever I am and take sips all day.

I am also much more physically active. I jog 3 days a week, and cross train on the elliptical or walk two other days. I've signed up for a few 5K races this summer, which I NEVER would have done without the Lap-Band!!! I also plan to run a marathon before I'm 40. I turn 39 next month. My weight loss so far because the band has given me confidence to set fitness goals, which I've never done before in my life.

Good luck with your surgery:wink2:

Well, the usual things like being full for a long period of time, thinking I can eat more than I really can, not drinking with meals, etc.

The biggest thing that is different now is how people treat me. I have people go out of their way to be nice to me in stores and restaurants. It wasn't like that 55 pounds ago. In some ways it is very sad, I am the same person personality wise--I've always been polite and bubbly, but now I get much more attention. At stores people are willing to go the extra mile for me..let me get a manager to override that. Let me get you a box for that extra food, of course you can't finish that big portion. I have to admit that I am wierded out by it a bit, but have decided not to be angry about it, but embrace it while being very mindful not to forget where I came from and treat every one regardless of size the way I would want to be treated--not a stretch for me, I am a very outgoing person who is always nice to everyone, but I guess people are afraid of catching "fat". At work I have people who I have worked in the same building with for ten years talk to me. You didn't know I existed for 10 years but now it is ok to talk to you? That I won't fall prey to, I acknowledge them, but will not be their new best friend. I was kind of hoping I wouldn't see how superficial people really are, but I guess that is part of the process.

I had my lap band done on 10-23-2009. Before my surgery, I lost about 28 pounds. Since the surgery I am down almost 90 pounds. It has been a very big change. I think the one thing I would tell you is to prepare for the mental problems. By this I mean, your stomach is changed, not your brain. Your brain still wants to overeat and eat all the wrong things. It is hard. My family has no restrictions and I do. Most of the day I do great. I eat what I am suppose to and I stay on a schedule. I have a hard time with my band in the morning. My Doctor told me to drink a hot liquid and it would help, but I dont like coffee, tea, etc. so this is hard. I try to prime my band by drinking a lot of Water before I eat and then start eating soft foods, like a banana. But let me tell you, there are times when I want to stick my face in a pizza or Japanese food or one of my old favorites. It is definately worth it at the end of the day, but this is something I did not think about pre-op. I would just like to share this with you so you can think about it. I dont want to scare you because I feel like a whole new person. I went from a 3X shirt and size 26 pants to a XL and Large shirt and I am in a size 16 pants. I still have around 50 pounds to go, but I do love my band. I just never thought about my brain not changing as fast as my body.:bored:

Thanks so much for sharing your personal story! I think this may be the hardest part for me. I don’t want to just “try this band thing” and see if it works. If I am going to do it, it has to be for the long haul. I won’t have the option to fail. So, getting my brain right has to be a big part of my pre-op life. Any other suggestions for what anyone needs to do in the pre-op phase to make the post-op life successful? (Just throwing that question out to anyone!)

Blessings!