Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healing with whole foods...

I'm a big fan of eastern philosophies when it comes to food (consuming a predominantly regional, plant-based diet with an increased sense of awareness) particularly as described in Paul Pitchford's "Healing with Whole Foods" and T. Colin Campbell's "The China Study". I'm not convinced that a vegan, raw food, or macrobiotic lifestyle is entirely necessary, but I admire the teachings and the discipline.

So my question is: has anyone ever attempted to lose their weight specifically combined with a whole food, perhaps eastern-based lifestyle? I mean, I know a minimally processed, nutrient dense diet is the *ideal* we strive for, but has anyone (either on these forums, an author, or on another website) ever lost all of their weight with this specific focus and documented some of the benefits? I'm looking for a good resource to help me out.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never been a big fan of meat so I worry about getting enough Protein and I don't want to rely solely on Protein drinks. My hope is that by loading myself up with all these amazing powerhouse foods and antioxidants I will give my body every fighting change of bouncing back to optimal condition. I don't want to just lose weight, I want to be strong and vibrant and healthy from the inside out. Like we all do!

Along these same lines, are there any supplements (Vitamin E, for example) that people take that are particularly good for maintaining skin composure/elasticity as we shrink? What about topical treatments, such as cocoa butter?

I've spent a lot of time reading books on pre/post LAP-BAND® lifestyle and the do's and don'ts both in books and on this website. Now I wanna go a step or two deeper... :smile:

I've eaten a primarily whole food diet for several years--ever since I developed a soy allergy. (Soy is in everything.) I do use whey Protein supplements--but other than that, I really have steered clear of prepared foods for a long, long time.

As with anything, there are exceptions. We're not perfect---but I do cook from scratch with good ingredients, so the occasional meal out or ordered takeout doesn't throw things off too much. We're not fanatical--just aim to eat cleanly mos of the time.

I spent many years eating whole foods and NOT losing---but I suppose that when I reach goal, I will be able to say I did it all with whole foods. Unless you frown upon Protein supplementation, which I still require.

As for skin, the best we can do is nourish ourselves well, and hope our good genes prevail and the gods smile on us.

Skin elasticity is governed by age, genetics, how long we've been overweight, how much we've stuffed into our wrappers, how many times we've gone up and down, how many pregnancies we've had, and so on. It has very little do to with how fast we lose or what we apply to our skin.

Still, I really like C. Booth 4-in-1 Multi-Action Body Lotion. I like the lemon sugar scent. It's mild and nice.

The lotion exfoliates, nicely lubricates, and also temporarily tightens skin. At this point, I'll settle for temporary! (I'm still researching plastic surgeons, though, for something more permanent!)

It comes in a HUGE bottle, and is very reasonably priced.

Oh--and for supplements--I take a good bariatric multi, then supplement additionally based on what my nutrient intake looks like. (I track on Fitday.) One thing I do take daily is Co Q-10. My surgeon required it pre and postop, and recommends its use for life. (It's a powerful antioxidant, and is showing up in lots of skin preparations these days.)

Edited by BetsyB

I'm a big fan of eastern philosophies when it comes to food (consuming a predominantly regional, plant-based diet with an increased sense of awareness) particularly as described in Paul Pitchford's "Healing with Whole Foods" and T. Colin Campbell's "The China Study". I'm not convinced that a vegan, raw food, or macrobiotic lifestyle is entirely necessary, but I admire the teachings and the discipline.

So my question is: has anyone ever attempted to lose their weight specifically combined with a whole food, perhaps eastern-based lifestyle? I mean, I know a minimally processed, nutrient dense diet is the *ideal* we strive for, but has anyone (either on these forums, an author, or on another website) ever lost all of their weight with this specific focus and documented some of the benefits? I'm looking for a good resource to help me out.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never been a big fan of meat so I worry about getting enough Protein and I don't want to rely solely on Protein drinks. My hope is that by loading myself up with all these amazing powerhouse foods and antioxidants I will give my body every fighting change of bouncing back to optimal condition. I don't want to just lose weight, I want to be strong and vibrant and healthy from the inside out. Like we all do!

Along these same lines, are there any supplements (Vitamin E, for example) that people take that are particularly good for maintaining skin composure/elasticity as we shrink? What about topical treatments, such as cocoa butter?

I've spent a lot of time reading books on pre/post LAP-BAND®® lifestyle and the do's and don'ts both in books and on this website. Now I wanna go a step or two deeper... :smile:

Since my Lap Band surgery, I have been focused on eating organic, unprocessed foods as much as possible. I avoid pretty much anything with additives, preservatives, or pesticides. I have to say I feel much better, and I have lots of energy. Eating this way costs more, but since my portions are small, it's definitely worth it. It is vital to get as many nutrients in as possible, because we eat so little. So far, my weight loss has been pretty consistent.

Good luck with you surgery on 5/13

Thank you both for your replies, they are very helpful! BetsyB, I will definitely look into that lotion you mentioned! And thanks for the well wishes, Bella! 5/13 can't come fast enough! :smile:

Just curious - have either of you had any issues with any particular grains? I know rice is sometimes not very well tolerated, but any experience with any of the other grains? Bulgur, spelt, farro, wheat berry? I am very fond of quinoa (technically a seed) as it is considered a "complete" Protein. I'm not opposed to Protein supplements, I just don't want to rely on them too heavily.

Thanks again, ladies!

I also try to eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods, including organics. I do eat meat, but am trying to move to locally raised, pastured animals-- but I'm moving slowly on that one because it is SO expensive to buy. I've added my name to a CSA list for a farm nearby that raises all its animals in a pastured way (like in Michael Pollan's book- The Omnivore's Dilemma-- GREAT book.) I was vegetarian for years, and even vegan for a short time, but without the whole foods focus. I would say I was a macaroni-and-cheese-atarian- and fat as ever. :smile:

Have you read Tosca Reno's "Eat Clean Diet Book?" Don't buy it- but check it out from the library-- she has lost a lot of weight by eating only a whole food diet, with a ton of strength training. The approach is basically to not eat anything processed- whole foods, foods with only one or two easily recognizable ingredients. They do use supplementation, though, and there is no eastern philosophy behind it at all. Decent recipes in the books, though.

Well, in all honestly, I wouldnt call myself a "whole foodist" and I'm certainly not vegan or even vegetarian but my personal view on nutrition tends very strongly in that direction.

I guess really I'm a "clean eater" more than anything. I try to avoid processed foods and I make things from scratch and definitely dont eat stuff like artificial sweetener or Lean Cuisines. Most certainly I dont consider things like shakes and bars clean eating and I avoid that sort of stuff as well as things like artificially sweetened flavoured Water (WHY? it tastes fine plain) etc. I buy a lot of organic food, and all our produce and meat is organic.

But I do like a glass of wine, and today I had a real craving for a pie and a Big M (a pie is an Australian delicacy of pastry and meat, topped with Tomato sauce (ketchup) and a Big M is a chocolate milk) so I would never claim to be virtuous - like anything its moderation nmore than anything. I just try to eat well most of the time and to make sure my body gets a good variety of nutritious non processed foods every day and occasionally something a bit more naughty sneaks in.

In answer to your question, I think you can certainly lose weight on any sort of diet at all - its all down to calories in the end, but you do it the whole foods way it'll taste better and be much better for you than if your daily intake is a couple of Protein shakes and a lean cuisine!

Edited by Jachut

Thank you both for your replies, they are very helpful! BetsyB, I will definitely look into that lotion you mentioned! And thanks for the well wishes, Bella! 5/13 can't come fast enough! :thumbup:

Just curious - have either of you had any issues with any particular grains? I know rice is sometimes not very well tolerated, but any experience with any of the other grains? Bulgur, spelt, farro, wheat berry? I am very fond of quinoa (technically a seed) as it is considered a "complete" Protein. I'm not opposed to Protein supplements, I just don't want to rely on them too heavily.

Thanks again, ladies!

I really don't eat rice. I do eat quinoa. I like the taste, and I like that it's a complete protein. I also eat corn tostadas and soft corn tortillas (low in calories, and great with my homemade vegetarian crock pot pinto beans!).You shouldn't have any problem meeting your protein requirements if your daily caloric intake is at least 800 calories. Mine ranges between 800 and 1000, but I always make sure to eat my Proteins first.

have either of you had any issues with any particular grains?
I haven't yet reintroduced grains; my doctor recommends holding off until 75 percent of excess weight is lost. So far, I haven't missed them--but do look forward to being in touch enough with my band (and low enough in weight) to enjoy them again.

I don't think I'll probably even attempt rice; I wasn't using white, except in sushi, preop. Brown? Maybe, but I'd rather go for more substantial grains with a bit more to offer, protein- and nutrient-wise.

As far as things like faro and wheatberries, I don't foresee problems. The fact that they're chewy make them, for me, a safer-appearing choice. They don't tend to get clumpy, which is, I think, the real problem with rice. (It gets sticky and obstructs the stoma.)

Now I want a nice wheatberry salad! Yum.

I don't think you'll have to heavily rely on Protein supplements. I keep an eye on my intake and use them when necessary---but they needn't be a mainstay. (If you don't have a type you like, the Inspire whey Protein supplements from bariatriceating.com are really good.)

You haven't mentioned (but I know you're aware of...) Beans. To me, Beans are the ideal post-band food. They've gone down easily since the very beginning, are satisfying, are gentle on the stomach----I love 'em. When combined with those good grains, I don't think you'll have to worry about protein much at all.

(I forgot to mention I order the C. Booth lotion from either Amazon or drugstore.com. I've found it, on occasion, at Walgreens.)

Edited by BetsyB

We have been eating whole foods for years. We buy local organic/ local/ organic then other. ages ago someone told me about the 80/20 rule. If we eat well 80% of the time, then the other 20% of the time there is room for the other stuff.

I think along 80/20 lines, too, Missy--it ties in with the Japanese "hara hachibun," which means, "eight-tenths full." It can be applied both to an 80/20 distribution of food over time, or aiming to stop, when eating, just short of being "full."

I think it's a really sensible way to approach lots of things in life---food, but also things like exercise, and so on.

There's room for indulgence if you are cautious most of the time :thumbup:

Anybody know if brown rice is in the same category as white and to be avoided after banding?

They don't tend to get clumpy, which is, I think, the real problem with rice. (It gets sticky and obstructs the stoma.)

I like the 80/20 rule a lot! It allows for that amazing sounding pie and Big M that Jachut was describing! Yum!

A CSA is a great idea! I did that a while back and completely forgot about it. I loved how it made me cook creatively based on what I received that week. Thanks for the idea, Jen! And I'll definitely look into that book.

I'm glad to hear that a lot of you are not having trouble getting your Protein requirement in with Beans and other grains. I started looking into those protein "shots" and they just reminded me of those 5 Hour Energy drinks that are so toxic. I know I'll have to do some shakes (and I'll definitely take a peek at that bariatriceating.com site) but only as a Plan B.

Thanks again for your input everyone!

Anne, it's lower on the glycemic index, and is more nutritious than white--so if you're incorporating grains, it's okay, nutrition-wise. But some people still have trouble with its stickiness, it seems.

I have no problem with Quinoa or couscous, but can't eat Pasta, bread or rice. I too try to eat mostly whole foods. And have been cooking a lot more since getting the LapBand

I do get some prepared foods from Whole Foods - they have a lemon cranberry quinoa that is DELICIOUS! It's quinoa with lemon juice, a little oil, cranberry, nuts, and seasonings.