Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEW Central Texas Army Wife here.

Army Wife? That sounded totally lame haha. Anyway, hello everyone! I am a 21 year old mother of two beautiful kids and a wife to an amazing soldier in the Army. We're stationed in Fort Hood right now.

I had an appointment with my PCM (Primary Care Manager) to check up on my weight loss issues. After attending classes and being active at a gym for the last 5 months. I've gained 12-20 more pounds. She suggest WLS because I'm showing signs of pre-diabetes (which 99% of everyone in my mother's side has).

I'm terrified that it's too late, and I'm also scared of WLS. I feel a bit ashamed and excited at the same time. Is this normal?

I am 242lbs, 5'3", with a bmi of 42.7.

I got a referral to see the Weight loss surgeon. It's coming in the mail. Anyone dealt with Tricare and know how long this takes, or how likely I'll be approved with a referral?

Has anyone been denied and still found a way to get the surgery? I'm pretty lost, hoping someone has answers.

Edited by Amanda B
I'm a typo moron :P.

It's very normal. My hubby is Coast Guard and I've been working out at the gym for years. Can't seem to lose the weight. I recently lost a cousin to heart disease at a young age. It was the kicker for me. I'm both scared and excited. I'm looking forward to a healthier me but I'm afraid of the steps it's going to take. I need to be strong. Don't be ashamed. You're thinking of your health and your kids. You want to be around for them.

amanda and silver

You should go for it. I've had a weight problem all my llife. Hey I was 10 lbs, 5 ozs. when I was born. so there you are - all my life. Anyway, i can't remember in jr. high being under 165 and high school 195. I made it up to 265 when I finally said enough is enough. i had the same feelings you are having. right up until the time of surgery. the night before, i was thinking, maybe i shouldn't. But i thought, I've got to do something, and this is it. Had the surgery March 16. in 5 days i was feeling normal again except i couldn't eat as much. after 2 and half weeks the doctor told me to eat solids and get ready for my first fill on may 6. I've lost 26 lbs and have no restriction. Just think what i will accomplish when i get a fill. I'm happy i've done it and look forward to a thin me. Keep me posted on your decisions.

amanda and silver

You should go for it. I've had a weight problem all my llife. Hey I was 10 lbs, 5 ozs. when I was born. so there you are - all my life. Anyway, i can't remember in jr. high being under 165 and high school 195. I made it up to 265 when I finally said enough is enough. i had the same feelings you are having. right up until the time of surgery. the night before, i was thinking, maybe i shouldn't. But i thought, I've got to do something, and this is it. Had the surgery March 16. in 5 days i was feeling normal again except i couldn't eat as much. after 2 and half weeks the doctor told me to eat solids and get ready for my first fill on may 6. I've lost 26 lbs and have no restriction. Just think what i will accomplish when i get a fill. I'm happy i've done it and look forward to a thin me. Keep me posted on your decisions.

girl55, thanks for the encouragement. I guess in my family, or in the military lifestyle is considered failure. Taking the easy way out, not being strong enough etc.

I really just want to be healthy again. Here is to hoping this going quickly and smoothly!

Call Scott White in Temple or Dr Richard Simmonds office they can walk you through it . My daughter is also in Killeen and her husband in the Army. She had no problems getting the surgery. Her primary dr had to refer her and they took it from there.

Call Scott White in Temple or Dr Richard Simmonds office they can walk you through it . My daughter is also in Killeen and her husband in the Army. She had no problems getting the surgery. Her primary dr had to refer her and they took it from there.

Thanks Marsla!

Talking to me neighbor, who had it done, and finding out that the referral that was put in was for Tricare to approve it? Once approved I'm pretty much good to go and start getting everything squared away...

I thought it would never be possible. I can't help but feel a little excited that after having it done, all of my time at the gym will start paying off!