Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT- Breast Reduction Stories?

It's been a while since I popped in here, but I'm hoping to find some good experience stories. I am just under 3 years post-op and planning on reduction surgery in June. I haven't found any good sites like this to share worries/concerns and general experience.

I wasn't expecting to lose enough in my breasts to be happy; it's not in the genetics cards for me and I lost in the band rather than cup size. I'm expecting to drop from a 36 DDD/E to a 36 C.

I'm excited and hopeful to not have horrible back/neck pain, shoulder grooves, etc... but it would be nice to hear from anyone who's been through it. It doesn't matter to me if you're post or pre-op for the band.

Thanks all, I've missed this place!

Hello -

I had a breast reduction back in 2003....it was the best thing that I have ever done for myself....well now I just got the band, so maybe that will take its place!

I went from a 36E/F to a full C cup. I was just a touch overweight at that point, probably BMI around 26. I really can't tell you how good it felt to have the procedure done! The back, shoulder and neck pain associated with lugging the big girls around really went away after the surgery.

If you have shoulder dents from your bra they will not go away after surgery. I was lucky not to have noticeable dents to begin with. You can reduce them a bit by doing some weight lifting shoulder exercises and just losing weight. They are basically impressions in muscle and fat. I was told that if they are significant you will never be able to get rid of them.

I do have to warn you a bit....the pain associated with the breast reduction surgery was greater than with the band. The good thing is no gas pains! Whoo - those gas pains really aren't much fun.

I am 7 years out now and you can barely see the scars. It really didn't matter what the scars looked like, I REALLY needed the surgery. I would do it again in a second. The only regret that I have is that I waited until I was 31 to do it! I wish that I could have had the reduction when I was a teenager or in my 20's.

Oooh, another note. I waited to have kids until I was 33 and 36. I was not able to breast feed them. They said that there was a chance that I wouldn't be able to since they are removing breast tissue along with excess fat. My mom and sister were never able to breast feed so I am not sure if it was the surgery or just genetics.

I wish you and the girls the best of luck with your surgery. You are going to LOVE the results. Like I said, it was the best thing that I ever did for myself!!!

Thanks so much for your response. I think the best thing you could have given me is the comparison of pain from a band to the reduction. That really helps with identifying what to expect. My shoulder indents are really small these days, and are barely noticeable, so I'm less concerned with that, and I don't plan to have children so I have no worries about breast feeding.

What I DO worry about is the inevitable 3-5 day post-op "what did I do?!?" depression that seems to come with any elective surgery...and the scars.

Neither though are enough to scare me away from this. It's 20 years in the making!! I am so excited to have finally made the choice, and already wish I had done it sooner!

Thanks again! : )

I wasn't expecting to lose enough in my breasts to be happy; it's not in the genetics cards for me and I lost in the band rather than cup size. I'm expecting to drop from a 36 DDD/E to a 36 C.

That is what happened to me! I have lost 95 lbs and my band size has dropped but the cup size went up. I started at a 44DDD and now I am a 40G. WTH?! I still have the same amount of breast tissue, it just doesn't look as good.:thumbup: The weird part is, I didn't suffer with very much shoulder pain prior to losing the weight and now I have neck, shoulder and muscle pain in the upper chest. I guess it is because my boobs don't have a big shelf of fat to sit on anymore.:unsure: I plan on maybe pursuing a reduction, but I am afraid with insurance requirements they may take too much. I haven't been below a D cup since I was 15.

I had a breast reduction 3 years ago and would do it all over again. Just remember it is a major surgery and takes a while to recover. The only problem I have is non-sensation on one side of my breast (not the nipple, just the skin). The physician that did my reduction actually wrote a book "When more is less" by Dr. Bethanne Snodgrass. I would highly recommend it; it even has a section on submitting to insurance and how to deal with appeals.

I will tell you I had a lift pre banding and went in a DD, When I woke up I was a B cup and very depressed. At the time I weighed 252lbs and looked crazy with them that small. So I went back in and got implants it brought me back up to a D, Now that I have lost most of the weight they look hugh. I wish I had waited until I got to my finale weight to have them done but oh well I'm use to having large breast so I'll be fine. And will tell you that they are about the only thing I truely love when I take my clothes off. I have the breast of an 18yr old at the age of 46. A great place to go to find people dealing with the samething as you is makemeheal.com You can see before and afters from real people and not just the photos the PS wants you to see.

I had a breast reduction in 1992 when I was 18...went from a DD to a C cup. The recovery was quite painful and I was in the hospital for six days and resting for about 3 weeks.

It was extremely painful to have the drainage tubes removed. That was NOT a fun part.

My breasts were rock hard for a year or two then they started to lower and soften up. I would frequently have stabbing pains in my breasts...from what i understand that's just the nerves regenerating.

My nipples are still sensitive; however the sides and undersides of my breasts are completely numb.

In 2002 I had my first daughter, and she was a preemie, in the NICU for 3 weeks. That made it extremely difficult to exclusively breastfeed her as I had to keep battling the nurses not to give her formula, I also didn't live in town and I pumped and pumped and pumped but I could barely get anything out. She was very sleepy and had a poor latch. So basically when I got her home I breastfed her but supplemented with formula. I nursed her for 3.5 years.

My one breast did not work that well, so I didn't get much milk out of it, but the other worked great, so I had hugely insanely lopsided breasts while lactating.

My second daughter was born in 2004, no complications, and I exclusively breastfed her for almost a year and a half - no formula! I was so proud of myself!! I even tandem breastfed both daughters.

So now, 11 or so years after my reduction and a 100 lb weight gain, they are a bit saggy but still perky. My scars are pretty bad, you can see the scars in my cleavage, and i have keloid scars underneath them.

It was one of the best decisions I made in my life to have the reduction. They used to hang straight down and my nipples pointed to the floor. Now they are perky and round and with the weight gain they are back at a DD but I'm OK with that.

Hope this helps!!!

Robby

Thanks to everyone for their stories and shared concerns. I had my reduction on Friday on couldn't be happier. The pain in my shoulder, back and neck have disappeared over night. I would also say, for me, that the pain with this procedure was a fraction of what the pain was with the band. The drain removal Monday wasn't comfortable, but it was quick and I was able to shower today- yeah!

My breasts are smaller than I have seen since high school. No more pain, no more embarrassment, and I fit into shirts properly. I am elated.

Again, thanks to everyone for your stories, and if you're thinking about it- don't wait!

Thanks for the update! I am very glad that you didn't have too hard of a time with your surgery. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have smaller breasts?

I remember sitting in the plastic surgeons office and speaking with two younger girls who where there to get enlargements. I just couldn't believe that someone actually wanted to go from a B or C up to a D+ cup! On purpose even!

I have never once regretted having reduction surgery!

You take care and I hope that you continue healing well!