Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Encouraging, thanks!

I have had my first visit with my surgeon and am just starting down this new path! I am so encouraged by what I am hearing here. My doctor, as I understand many doctors have, tried to convince me that a GB would be better:w00t:. His chief point was that I would not lose as much weight with a LB. But here I see so many folks losing way more than 50% of the excess weight! It is so hopeful!

I don't have any sources to site, but I have been told over and over again that at five years out, bypass and band patients average the same loss. Bandsters just tend to get there more slowly.

It's all about how you use the band. It won't do all of the work for you, it will just help you out!

I am in my 4th year and maintaining a normal healthy weight for over 2 years. Chosing a lap band was one of the best decisions I ever made. I struggled with my decision band vs. bypass. There is a lot of information about this on my blog (see the link in my signature at the bottom of this post)

The results for band vs. bypass at 3 years and beyond are on the lap-band manufacturers site as part of a welll controlled study. I also reference this study on my blog site. As band patients, we have to work harder early on, and we lose slower. It is really worth understanding what you need to do to work this tool, and honestly assessing what you will need to do to be successful.

For me, most of the diets I ever tried worked, I just wasn't able to stay with them. For me, my lap band made all the difference.

Good luck with your decision!

Merrywait;

The Lap band has worked miracles for many people.

However, you really need to be certain that it is the correct procedure for YOU.

You mentioned that your Doctor recommended the Gastric Bypass for you. He could have done that for a lot of reasons, but you might want to consider what it is he has to say. He IS your Doctor, so I would hope that he knows your situation.

Please be aware that not many GP doctors are all that Bariatric Surgery-aware. Some of them simply recommend what they know about, or have heard something about. Others, on the other hand, are quite knowledgable about it. It’s hard to know how deep their knowledge goes, because it varies a great deal.

Going on the assumption that your Doctor DOES know something about WLS, then it is possible that he recommended GB for a specific reason, because he knows you and the difficulties you have had with your weight.

The Lap Band and GB are meant for different types of people with different eating and metabolic disorders. People think they are interchangeable, and that is not always the case. While there are people who would do well with either, usually one of them is better than the other for you. There are a great many people who have had the Lap band, and then had to revise to a GB because the band was the wrong procedure for their particular situation. Trust me, you do NOT want to go through this process twice….make the RIGHT decision the FIRST time.

The studies that the two posters above cited were funded by Lap Band manufacturers, and are not reliable. They have a product to sell, and they do it by producing “studies”. This is not to say that the Lap Band is not a good thing, but the fact is that it does not work for everyone, and most people do not lose all of the weight that they originally intended to. The other WLS procedures also have their drawbacks…..none of them are perfect. But….ONE of them could be the right one for you.

Before you make a firm decision and commit to any of the procedures, I would encourage you to speak to several Bariatric Doctors and get a well-rounded consensus on the path that would be appropriate for you. This is a decision that could very likely have a profound impact on the rest of your life, so it is important to take the time to perform the proper research. You did not become fat overnight, so you should take your time in deciding on a solution to the problem. It could very likely turn out that the Lap Band is the right one for you, but you will not know until you have done the legwork and the research. Never let a conversation with ONE Doctor be the deciding factor in choosing a Weight Loss Surgery procedure.

Good luck in your decision!

S.

Edited by Spartan

You should also keep in mind that a Doctor makes much more money from GB than lap band. So you want to make sure they are giving you the advice that is best for you, remember, never ask the car salesman which car you should buy, he is going to tell you that you should buy the one he needs to sell the most.

Investigate and make an informed decision for yourself.

WHY did the surgeon say GB was better? There may be some medical reason behind the guidance, or it may be personal preference of the surgeon.

My surgeon will not do a band on a type 2 diabetic. He said GB has a much better rate of remission.

GB for a surgeon is sort of a set it and forget it procedure. After a few follow-ups, they are done with you. Not so with a band. Unless they don't perform the fills.

With either procedure, YOU have to put in work to be successful.

As Spartan advised, get a few opinions and make an informed decision.

Thanks all!

My doc did not give any reason but the the GB was the "gold standard" He actually said it was recommended only for folks who are diabetic and/or have a BMI of 45+.

I am not diabetic, or pre-diabetic and my BMI is 41. No co-morbidities.

At the discussion following the visit all the patients, 6 of us, found the doc had said GB was better for us all. We ranged from BMI of 55-40, diabetic, all clear, arthritis, and ages 33-60.