Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone considering revision?

I am having a really hard time with my band. In the last month I had my gallbladder out unneccesarily (my band was too tight), an $8000 ER visit, 2 unfills and an upper GI with a refill. I keep getting spasms of my stomach and esophagus that cause vomiting and abdominal, chest and back pain. The only way to keep it from happening is to get an unfill but then I don't have good restriction and I gain weight. I'm just really frustrated.

Danielle

Hey, Dani. Sorry to hear that you're having such troubles. Didn't the surgeon who did you gallbladder surgery send you in for an ultrasound to check for stones before removing your gallbladder?? It sure sounded like you were having gallbladder attacks by the way you described the pain between your shoulder blades. (Been there, done that!)

Maybe you should talk with a different LapBand surgeon about your struggles with restriction before considering yet another surgery. I'd hate for you to have to go through even more pain and turmoil!

Hang in there and keep us updated! :thumbup:

So sorry to hear of your difficulties. I started out with the LAP-BAND®®. All was great for the first 9 months. Then, it was all down hill. I spent the last 6 months of band life unfilled and still unable to get most things down. The surgeons and anesthesiologists I work with would write for me to have IV fluids 2-3 times a week just to keep me going until I could get the band paid off. It is a real long story. Anyhow.........

In December, I revised to the gastric sleeve (after having several surgeries as a result of the band). It is like night and day. Wish I'd been smart enough to start out with the sleeve. I feel great. The weight is literally melting off. I am never hungry. I feel like a human being now. In my opinion, the band should be outlawed. Contrary to what everyone is told, the band isn't "reversable", did major damage to my stomach and everywhere the tube going to the port touched.

Go to the sleeve site on Obesity Help to read the many stories of those who have revised from the band to the sleeve. It will help you see why so many people are revising.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

i haven't considered a revision but i have considered a reversal. i have had nothing but trouble with my band over the past 2 years. yes, i've lost 60% of my weight but it's been at a very high cost. i now have severe acid reflux and my stomach folds over the band if i get the slightest fill. i have a 10cc band and only have 4.4cc in right now. at one point i had around 5.5cc but was constantly throwing up from the acid reflux.

*sigh* my fills and unfills have been (thankfully) covered under my initial surgery fee but my 2 year anniversary is coming up and that means i have to start paying for my fills and unfills.

i'm aggravated. i'm sad. i'm scared.

but my doctor considers me a "success story".

Hi Dani,

If I were having issues with my band, I'd not hesitate to revise to a different procedure.

I'd work with my PCP and surgeon (both of whom I love) to decide which was best.

Best wishes! I hope you are feeling better soon!

Idid have one stone in my gallbladder but we realized that it wasn't the problem the day after surgery when I had my first solids and spent the next 8 hours in agony. After about $40,000 in medical bills I found out that muscle spasms in your stomach and esophagus from band tightness is the same pain you can get from gallstones. The problem now is that I am able to eat just about anything now at 6cc but when I had good restriction at 8 and 9 cc's I would have these attacks every couple of days. I asked my doc about revision and he said he won't even consider it until I am 2 years post-op. Hopefully I can make the band work still with less restriction. Luckily, I didn't have a slipped band or any dilitation. Just beware letting your band stay too tight.

Danielle

Yes, I agree. Don't let your band stay too tight. I've done that twice now after something got stuck, and it takes a while for the swelling to down. Not fun.

I'm the same way with my restriction, too, Dani. 6 cc is way too little for me-- I can eat anything and large amounts of it. But above 7.5, I'm getting stuck a lot. So, I seem to do best right around 7. It's very frustrating sometimes!

You're doing an awesome job, Dani. Please don't get discouraged. Look at how far you've come in less than a year!!! :cool::thumbup::eek: