Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgical risks specific to this surgery?

I should know this, but do not. I've never had surgery before but understand there are always associated risks such as infection, rejection, allergic reactions, etc. I also understand that some of the people who seek this surgery have delicate physical conditions that put them at higher risk for complications and/or mortality during the operation (heart problems, blood issues, etc.) I read so much about the risks of surgery, and the minor risks are obvious. I tend to associate major risks (e.g. death) with people who are not in good shape or have pre-existing conditions... even though I know there have been healthy people go under who they cannot revive.

Are there additional risks that are related specifically to having a lap-band procedure?

Punctured organs? Cut stomach? Post-op would be swelling, inability to drink, subsequent dehydration, eventual death?

Man, you are a great researcher, Wheetsin. I'm sending newbies to YOU!!!!

Just keep tolerating my weird and slightly spastic questions. That's all I can ask. :)

If I remember correctly, the doctor only added infection and bleeding to the standard surgery form he made me sign before I was drugged and forgot everything... lol

ROTFLMAO

I'll quit hijacking your threads, too...I can't help myself! I keep thinking of stuff!!!! Dont' worry, I relate all too well.

Mmmm, no you won't. You will continue to hijack threads. But that's part of your job description, right? :) hmm, and here I've hijacked your hijack... hmmm.

Some of the other specific risks of the banding are bands that are improperly placed, a band placed over a nicked stomach, the wrong size band used, and sky lab could fall on you.

Don't forget the risk of the doctor getting scared by my great pasty belly sticking out from the surgical drape.

Oh, and while not specific to banding, your hair could catch on fire.... Super Train could crash into the hospital... Or The Atomic Train could crash into your hospital... a meteor strike could take out your town, an alien invation could be scheduled while you are in the OR, a masive EMP strike could nock out all power to everything in a 5 mile radius causing 3 jumbo jets to simultainiously crash into the hospital while shutting down every piece of equipement in the hospital, or a weird power surge could cause all the electrical equipment to suddenly come to life and hold the entire hospital staff hostage until their demands to be moved to the desert are met....

Just a million things could go wrong. Better not even leave the house. Heck, better not even get out of bed. Just grab your snorkle and hunker down in your blanket fort... :D

And yeah, I know, skylab fell a long time ago, but I was feeling nostalgic :)

ROTFLMAO Again!!! You guys are too funny. Vines, you got it goin' on! I like the "grab your snorkle and hunker down under your blanket tent" part...heh.

haha...love your humor vinesqueen.

Big Paul, I don't believe it is possible to watch too much sci-fi. Not possible at all.

Sorry Wheetsin, I just get on these tears sometimes and can't seem to control my fingers. It's Kathy's fault, honest!

Really, the point is that you have done your research, and like Kathy (the best me) said, we are just going to send the newbies to you.

Perfectly healty people can have complications, and the elderly and infirmed :) like me might fly through it. If you have problems to start with, as I do, you have to be assured that this is an option for you. Don't worry about what could happen. General anesthesia is a risk no matter what surgery you are having, but the risk is small compared to what you are going to get out of the surgery...and trust me I've had enough surgeries to know. I spent 9 hrs. having open heart surgery and 5 years later I'm here, and I'm looking at the band as "a small obstacle" rather than the huge one I've been through. The band is about psyching yourself up for it I think more than anything.

Good luck and quit worrying.