Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting pregnant during first yr of lapband

Lots of questions..

So, my weightloss sucks! I hav 8cc in a 9cc band and I can still eat everything. Not enough restriction! Anyway, I had my surgery in November and wanting to get pregnant in August or September (I'm not getting any younger)to break my cycle of having winter babies. My dr said he wanted me to wait a year but if I got pregnant before then, not a big deal. Anyone get pregnant during that first year?

Also, I get pretty darn sick with my pregnancies and had nausea and vomiting the whole 9 months with my last one. Anyone have these problems with the band and did they unfill you? Will band slippage be an issue?

I can't give advice on getting pregnant in the first year. I waited until a over a year out, but I'm NOT at my goal yet and it's frustrating to see the scales go back up when I know they need to go down again.

If you're vomitting, I'm pretty sure they will unfill the band. You dont' want to risk a slip! A couple episodes is no big deal, but constant vomitting will put you at greater risk. I don't think the band has anything to do with how your body will actually react to the pregnancy hormones.

The band DOES make it harder to vomit! I was in the hospital early on with a gall bladder attack and nothing felt so good as throwing up after my unfill! :blushing:

Hey all, Well i've only just had my lapband put in December 2009, and have accidentally fallen pregnant Feb 2010. I'm a little freaked out on what to do.. I'm not getting any younger, but my weight still needs to keep coming down. I'm still weighing up my options on what to do. I'm worried about my lapband slipping.. I have almost 4mls in a 9cm band. I've already had a child 9 yrs agao. My gall bladder out a yr after that. I don't usually suffer any sickness with my pregnancy but who knose this time around! Any thoughts or suggestions on what i should do?? Please don't be affraid to message me. nina

Nina--

If you aren't vomitting and can get a reasonable amount of food down, there's no reason your band should slip.

Talk to your doc about weight loss/weight gain during pregnancy depending on what you decide to do. My doc was ok with me maintaining weight, though I'm on track to gain an appropriate amount of weight-- 20-ish pounds. I had a total unfill, so I'm happy with that. Some people have reported that their doc was find with weight loss as long as the patient was eating enough food and baby was growing. Depends on the doc and the person.

If you decide to continue with your pregnancy, your band will still be there when you're done. I know it's frustrating, but the band doesn't have a "honeymoon" period like some weight loss surgeries. Yes, the full signals may be a softer as time goes on, but there are a lot of people who lose a little weight early on and go on to finish losing weight years after their band is installed.

Good luck with your decision!