Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Large AP Lap Band and lack of success?

I have the Large AP band and I was wondering if anyone else who has it felt like they were not losing or getting restriction as well as others are that have the smaller band. I'm 5 months out and 3 fills and I've only lost 1 lb in the past 3 months. I have 7cc in the 14cc band. I know I'm not doing all I can but I was just wondering if people who had the large band felt like they were struggling a little more or were taking longer to get to restriction? I'm trying not to fet discourged that it's taking me so long to get to my sweet spot. Thanks-

JT,

You probably don't have restriction yet. I have a 12cc band and have 8.75cc and I didn't even get any temporary restriction until I reached almost 8cc. I was told most don't get restriction until between 8 and 9 and a fair number not until they're over 9.

I didn't lose hardly anything prior to restriction. Once I had restriction, I lost 18+ pounds in 3 weeks. Restriction makes the difference. Until you have it, you're in the same boat you were pre-band as far as losing weight.

Yep, what Elfie said :biggrin:

No matter what the size of your band, you just have to get to the right level of fill. It's a frustrating journey, to be sure.

But you'll get there!

Can you talk with your surgeon about accelerating the fills, a little? Either in terms of timing, or in terms of volume?

I was banded in Aug myself and have lost 27 pounds. It is a daily struggle knowing that I am losing 2 pounds a month for the last 2 months. When I went to the doc last month did not get a fill. I am worried now because the weight seems to not be moving. My next appointment is tomorrow and I plan on asking for a fill. I think this would jump start my weight loss. I am getting my Protein in but the weight is not coming off. What do you do in this instance

I'm going in for another fill in 2 weeks. My doctor does not like to do big fills. He says he's very conservative. I had to go a long time between fills because the snow storm last month caused my appointment to be canceled. They rescheduled it for almost 3 weeks later and on a Friday. Turns out the Dr. doesn't like to do very big fills on Fridays in case you have problems over the weekend and it's harder to reach him so I was kind of frustrated with my last appointment. I have started to exercise again and put myself back on track. I know everyone is in the same boat until restriction. It just seems it may be a little harder to get there when you have a bigger band :biggrin: I appreciate everyone's support. At least I haven't gained and the gym is toning what I have lost. I know I wouldn't even be to this point without the band.

I also have a large band, and I sure got discouraged after fill 1 and fill 2 brought me NO restriction. February was a tough month for me, because I was feeling the Bandster Hell as early as late January (got banded 1-7-10)...I desperately wanted the fills to do SOMETHING, and two fills in...nothing. I got fill #3 on Saturday (3-5-10) and got up to 7cc in my 14cc band. Although I did feel restriction yesterday, and even threw up my dinner two bites in (not used to having to chew SMALL bites yet)...we'll see how long the restriction lasts! Although it was all tough going yesterday, I was able to get down eggs, a sandwich from Subway, and ravioli (eventually) for dinner. I think one more fill will get me to that "sweet spot." But, I definitely understand your frustration. Large bands just mean more fills/saline are needed before you get to restriction. Don't give up - it comes, I promise!!

One more thing to remember...1 pound in 3 months means YOU are not doing the work. Even with restriction, this isn't a magic tool that will allow you to eat senselessly with no workout and expect the weight to fall off. All restriction's brought to me is smaller portion sizes and staying full. The 32+ pounds I've lost in 2010 are because I'm counting my calories (yeah, every single damn thing that goes in my mouth), and I'm working out. You HAVE to commit to a life change or all the restriction in the world won't make this work.

One more thing to remember...1 pound in 3 months means YOU are not doing the work. Even with restriction, this isn't a magic tool that will allow you to eat senselessly with no workout and expect the weight to fall off. All restriction's brought to me is smaller portion sizes and staying full. The 32+ pounds I've lost in 2010 are because I'm counting my calories (yeah, every single damn thing that goes in my mouth), and I'm working out. You HAVE to commit to a life change or all the restriction in the world won't make this work.

Thanks to all who've posted on this topic. and to you JoiaRox for the post above. . . I've gone down to 224.5 and for the last two weeks, I've been at 226.2. I have the 14cc band with a 5cc first fill on Feb. 26. Restriction? Only a little and the doc says to see how the weight loss goes for the next two months and then let her know about another fill. I don't want to wait two months. However, your post has reminded me that I need to get off my a$$ and get moving and use this tool correctly. I'm also not keeping up with what I eat...which isn't alot...but then, I'd be sure if I'm screwing up this way . . . do you use an online tracker for calories, etc.? I've tried a few but seemed to take too much time. guess I'm not very patient.:biggrin:

I have a 14 cc band with 13 cc's in it---still no restriction, and now last week I was refused another fill? How many cc's does the tubing hold??? I thought I was supposed to feel full? Back to dieting just like before the band...;0(

Yes, I understand the life change. I haven't been perfect and I take full ownership but i continue to try to be better. I am working out an hour at the gym at least 4 times a week now so I expect some better results from myself. The post was more to see if others with larger bands felt like it made a difference. I don't think the band is a magic wand but the idea behind it is it to make it easier to deal with smaller portions and less calories than if you didn't have the band. I just felt like maybe having the bigger band has affected how quickly I reach a point that it becomes a tool that helps. I wanted to see if others with a larger bands had the same issue. I had to get the larger band due to the issues with a hiatal hernia so my stomach wasn't overly large but he wanted to leave extra room for healing. I'm not unhappy with the band. I know my eating has drastically changed from before or I probabably would have gained what I've lost back and then some.

Oh and I should have mentioned that the one pound is the net weight loss. I lost and gained the same two pounds for a while (no more of that). I have gone down 2 sizes in clothes during this past 3 months from working out so I take the victories where I can.

I have a small band and have the same problem as you, so I dont know if you can attribute it to the size of the band. I have a 5cc band and was banded in July and have only lost 16 pounds to date. Its very frustrating. I have just under 4 cc's in my 5cc band and I still dont have enough restriction. I have come to believe that everyone's stomach is different and reacts different to being cinched up. My stomach isnt phased the way some peoples are. I have half way given up thinking this will even work. And yes I do exercises and eat right. Thats how Ive lost the 16 pounds I have lost so far. I needed to loose 65 pounds and seven months out I still have 50 to go which seems pretty impossible to me unless somehow something changes with this band. So to answer your question, I personally would say that it isnt so much the small vrs large band size. It may just be the sensitivity to an individual's stomach. Thats my theory at least. But I could be totally wrong. lol

I have a small band and have the same problem as you, so I dont know if you can attribute it to the size of the band. I have a 5cc band and was banded in July and have only lost 16 pounds to date. Its very frustrating. I have just under 4 cc's in my 5cc band and I still dont have enough restriction. I have come to believe that everyone's stomach is different and reacts different to being cinched up. My stomach isnt phased the way some peoples are. I have half way given up thinking this will even work. And yes I do exercises and eat right. Thats how Ive lost the 16 pounds I have lost so far. I needed to loose 65 pounds and seven months out I still have 50 to go which seems pretty impossible to me unless somehow something changes with this band. So to answer your question, I personally would say that it isnt so much the small vrs large band size. It may just be the sensitivity to an individual's stomach. Thats my theory at least. But I could be totally wrong. lol

You have been doing fine-keep up the hard work!! I am sort of in the same boat as you as I have hit a "wall" and not losing. I started doing everything by-the-book and to the letter on Jan 1st (almost a year after banding). I had not lost a single pound until this weekend!! Then bam, 5lbs gone!!

Just keep in mind that our bodies are strange and we cannot predict what they will do. If you do your part of diet and exercise, eventually you WILL lose....it's a matehmatical fact.

Don't give up, FIGHT HARDER!! You're worth it!

One more thing to remember...1 pound in 3 months means YOU are not doing the work. Even with restriction, this isn't a magic tool that will allow you to eat senselessly with no workout and expect the weight to fall off. All restriction's brought to me is smaller portion sizes and staying full.

I would disagree. One pound in 3 months, without band restriction, means she *is* doing the work or she would have gained back or gained more during that time.

Once she has restriction, then the band is working with her to control portion sizes. The combination is when we lose weight.

No, it's not a magic wand. It is a tool, but until that tool is calibrated and we have restriction, it's just a piece of plastic.

I'm not denying that some people are motivated just by getting that little piece of plastic, but those who aren't are not doing anything wrong.

By the way...I don't work out and I reached restriction 5 weeks ago and have lost over 18 pounds.

Our weight loss is pretty much about calories in vs. calories out. Eat fewer calories than needed to maintain your current weight and activity level and you will lose. Eat more and you'll gain.

Edited by ElfiePoo

I have the 14cc band with a 5cc first fill on Feb. 26. Restriction? Only a little and the doc says to see how the weight loss goes for the next two months and then let her know about another fill. I don't want to wait two months.

Then don't wait. If you are hungry between meals and can eat to excess, then you need a fill. The whole purpose of the band is to restrict our portions. Until you get restriction, it's just a piece of plastic. Makes no sense to me that people will go through all of this hassle to get the band and then not make it do its job. I had my first 3cc fill 4 weeks postop, another 3cc two weeks later, another 1 cc a week later and then .5cc every week or two until I hit restriction at 8.5cc. At 3 months post op I had restriction.

Try eating 2-3 oz of steak, 1/2 cup of vegies (like broccoli) and 1/4 cup of carbs (Pasta, Beans, rice). I say steak because many of us have trouble with chicken sticking. You should be full by the time (if not before) you finish that meal. If you aren't, you probably need another fill. 5cc in a 14cc band means you most likely need a fill.

Keep in mind that after every fill you may have temporary restriction for a few days to a few weeks...or not at all. It varies with the individual.