Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study - or Fun with Wires

I was tired a lot and my doc sent me for a sleep study. I got a C-pap and had no idea how much better I would feel. I never even take a short nap without it now. If I fall asleep without it I wake up with a sore throat and headache. My family will wake me up and tell me to go put on my C-pap. It is worth the trouble if you really need it.

I am looking forward to not needing it any more if I lose enough weight!

All I know is that I had to have them come to my house on 3 occassions to find a mask that I could live with. The first I had had the pillows that went in/by your nostrils, no way, I fought with them constantly. They came back to adjust it, didn't work. I now have a miniture version of the one they used in the hospital, it's a small triangular fits nice, NO chin strap to keep your mouth shut. Haven't had any problems with it, other than once the side strap came undone. If you are having touble with the mask, insist on another type. They will exchange it without any problems, they want them to fit so they can get the money from the insurance company. I guess at some point they are going to want me to pay for this, or maybe as I loose my weight, I won't need it any more and the insurance company will no longer have to pay for it. I saw the receipt they sent to the ins. co. and it was for over $1600.00 for the unit, tubing, & mask. If yours doesn't fit call your doctor. They have to change it!

ok ya'll. I am a sleep professional and have been in a polysomnographer for 13 years.

I will help with any questions...

FYI, oral appliance doesn't work for most people...it generally resolves snores but doesn't touch the apneaic events as that happens lower in the throat or chest depending on you type of sleep apnea or sleep disordered breathing...

the docs take into consideration "lab effect" we all realize that u are not at home. However being at home or somewhere else does not effect how your body works mechanically.

Most patients don't love their cpap, especially at first. It does take time. I fyou can wear it for a few hours a night to begin with, do just that. Anytime your brain is getting adequate oxygenation. It's a good thing! Then build up..

As far as a mask fitting goes, try EVERY mask you can get your hands on. Respironics Comfort Gel and Fisher Paykell Zest and Zest plus have a good compliance rate because they are comfortable to wear. I personally love the Zest for my patients...

Thanks so much for the additional information on the masks. Just as I thought, I spoke to soon earlier today. Guess what came in the mail this afternoon, yup! the BILL for the cpap machine. They must have been monitoring this site. Only kidding about the monitoring, but I did get the bill!!! Luckily the insurance company paid part of it and the balance is doable for me. Thanks again for the info. I hope everyone looses at least 1 lb today, it's one less to being happier and healthier for all of us. God Bless. Eileen

Well, the results are in and...ta da! I have obstructive sleep apnea. Apparently, not enough to be "severe" but enough to need a titration. Now I have to get a mask fitting (next week) and do a sleep study (earliest is March 28th) for the titration for the anesthesiologist during/immediately after my surgery. Good news is the pulmonologist said I don't have to actually get a machine and use it at home. I only need it the day of surgery and that once I lose some weight (even 20 lbs) I should have a lot less apnea episodes.

So, more waiting. Which sucks because our vacation starts May 1st. If I don't have the surgery at the beginning of April (so I can heal before vacation), it will have to wait until mid May! Depressing.

Apparently I can't blame the kids for me being exhausted all the time.

Good info all around. I'm managing wearing it a couple hours a night and I can see some improvement. What really cracks me up - having a CPAP was mandatory for my procedure - in fact if I didn't bring it with me the day of surgery, then no surgery - imagine my surprise to find that my machine was never even taken out of it's case when I was in recovery?!

I generally tell people to take for surgery. If the aneasthesiologist feels that maintaining your airway and o2 levels during recovery are an issue, they will make you wear it.

Many people have sleep apnea worse during certain sleep stages, you may not have achieved those stages during your surgery and your oxygen levels were normalized

I had to smile when I read through these posts...of all the studies I had to have done preop (and there were many!), the most surrealistic of them all was that sleep study, which for some reason I can't fathom now, I scheduled for Halloween night. It was like something out of Star Trek. The personnel at the hospital couldn't have been nicer...but it was totally odd, being all wired up, and then being told to go to sleep, like I could really do that on command, lol! And, of course, the reassuring concept that someone was watching me by video through the whole thing...yes, very restful

:frown:

Fortunately, my apnea was so mild, they didn't even wake me for the split titration. It was their opinion that what little I do experience would be taken care of by the weight loss alone. My ex had HORRIBLE apnea...I would sit awake at night and poke him to get him to breathe...scary stuff. Oh, well, one more unique experience to tell about!

Best to all!

Christine

Finally someone to talk about the sleep test! IT WAS AWFUL! First I had to take out my braids, had all kinds of GLUE CRAP in my hair, wires on my face body and legs! I couldn't sleep on my stomach and I snore HORRIBLY on my back! I know for a fact I stop breathing when I sleep. The only question is how many times! I felt soo ashamed knowing they had a microphone to hear my snoring. Anyone else feel like you just came out of BIG BROTHER, with that creepy camera watching your every move?And how do they expect you to sleep with that crap up your nose? It was sooo uncomfortable! From 1-5, with 5 being the worst....I WAS A FOUR! WHOOO HOOO! Thats pretty impressive for a girl if I do say so myself! I'll can't wait to hear what he sees on my follow up. If they find out I have severe sleep apnea is that a shoe-in for approval?

I am 2 weeks post op. Like all of you, I had to go through the sleep studies 4 months ago. It was a nightmare. Thankfully they gave me a sleeping pill. However I thought with sleeping on my back and taking a sleeping pill wouldn't that make my snoring more aggravated? I did have to get a CPAP set a "8", which they said was not very high.

I had to be compliant and do at least 30 straight days at 6-8 hours each for my 2 insurances to pay. I did as told to be sure I didn't have to pay out of pocket. I hated it. Now that I have had the surgery I still can't get used to the darn thing. I have been using it for 3 or 4 months now. I started with the nasal pillows which wouldn't stay in so had to get a nasal mask. It still is uncomfortable to me. I have fibromyalgia which causes full body pain, and my scalp is one of the worst. The darn straps hurt like the devil some nights. Well I spoke last week to the gal at the company I got the machine from. She said "we encourage you to use it as much as you can". I had gotten past the 30 day (100% compliance) thing for my insurance to pay so now I feel I can not be so afraid if I can't use it every night. Hang in there guys. It was mandatory for my surgery to go through the testing. While in the hospital they woke me at 11 p.m. to bring in a CPAP for me to wear. Well, the #$%@ thing was so noisey they gave me earplugs which did nothing. After they left I tried my hardest but couldn't get past the noise which sounded like an old engine trying to kick in. I just pulled it off and let it go wherever. Nothing was ever said, I went home the next morning and have tried the CPAP at home a couple times, but I am afraid to say I may not be compliant much anymore because of the fibro.

I tried. You can too.

I keep trying it, but end up taking it off some time during the night. Following directions, I wash the nose pillows everyday - and it seems like they don't fit right anymore! I spend so much time tugging and readjusting this thing and still can't get it seated so I have air blowing on my upper lip. Forget laying on my side - I have to hold the nose piece in place or it gaps...

I have been using the nasal pillows for about five years now. My headset came with three different sizes. Have you tried another size to see if it fits better, or maybe adjust your strap differently. I promise if you stick with it you will feel so much better because you will be getting a restful sleep at night! :cursing:

wow, sounds like a few of you need to go to your DME companies and be fitted correctly. they should take the time to show you exactly how to put everything on....

best nasal pillow for comfort and ease...hands down Swift LT, they come for woman and men and I end up with many patients on this one.

Swift FX will be available soon ( it is available in some places) and is supposed to be PHENOMINALLY comfortable.

I demo'd a new mask at a sleep confrence today. Called EastyFit from Devilbiss Healthcare. Very comfy and durable mask. Inovative headgear. Seems like it will be great to sleep with as the arm that connects to the pap tubing has a unique swivel valve. No more tugging on you face! Also the exhalation ports are set inside silicone so there is no more air blowing in your partners face.

This new mask impressed even an old sleep tech like me

I had this about a year ago and it was horrible, the glue in the hair (ugh). At one point during the night I just threw one of the pillows across the room and said the F word, would love to see that video LOL. I sleep half on my stomach and side and there was no way to get in my sleeping position.