Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm supposed to be drinking 64 ounces of liquid a day. I'm lucky if I can get in 40! I need some tips to increase my intake. I don't mind drinking it I just never think of it until I'm actually thirsty. I'm also not supposed to eat 30 minutes before or after I eat and that's when I would drink the most. Ah it's frustrating! Any ideas would be appreciated!

What helped me is carrying around one of the 20 oz. Starbucks cups with a straw. I just constantly take a sip. It is easy to have at work.

I have had the same problem with being thirsty right after I eat and trying hard to wait the 60 minutes I was told before taking a drink. Hope that helps :w00t:

First of all, my doctor doesn't allow straws at all. Causes to much air to get into the pouch. Second, it was suggested that you get a glass of ice when you start your meal. However much ice has melted by the time you finish eating, you can drink that liquid immediately and not have to wait the 30 min. to have some liquid while waiting. Third; I buy my Water in 20 oz bottles. Each morning, I set out three bottles on my kitchen counter. I add my crystal light (if I want it) and I make sure I have consumed those three bottles in one day. If I leave the house, I take 1-2 with me depending on how long I'll be gone. By putting them in plain site, there is no way that I forget to drink my Water. I am lucky that I can drink room temp water.

Maybe this will help you. Good luck.

I was told I couldn't use a straw... do you have problems with getting too much air ingested while you drink? I usually drink too fast drinking directly from a glass - just curious how the straw works for you.

I have a rubbermade sippy built in straw deal that holds 32 oz.. so, I try to have 2 or more of those. like 5 dollars at target.

The trick, I think, is to always have it available. Always have something iced and ready at an arms reach so when you think of it, you can take a sip.

sometimes I have to dump out half and re-ice it, but it is ALWAYS worth it to have it available.:w00t:

Crystal lite is awesome!!!

After i got banded i felt so dehydrated, i drink Water constantly with tons of ice cubes...i have a quart at work and go through like 3-4 of those a day and one at home..try freezing your water..also dont forget crystal lite popsicles yumm!!

That's interesting that some MD's don't allow straws. I was told specifically to use a straw because less air gets in the pouch. I think either way, whatever works and causes the least discomfort, is good. I am not sure about drinking the ice that melts. Is that because it is not a lot of liquid? Or because it's cold. Just curious. Thanks :thumbup:

My doc does not allow straws either. I just recently started filling up a 64oz container in the am and put it in the fridge. I try to have it finished by the time I go to bed. My docs office also wants us to have 100oz a day! Not making that. I stopped having ice in my Water because it would slow me down. I like to eat ice and never sure how much it is in terms of oz?

I have problems sipping though. I don't guzzle but still take bigger sips than I should. I tried using my 2y/o sippy cup but she steals it back from me:laugh:

costco has these big Water bottles (made by contigo - bpa free - d/w safe) that hold 24 oz and they are selling them in a 3-pack now. I just always have this thing by my side w/water. It even has a clip on it so I can clip it to my purse when I am out. Three of these equal more than 64 oz of Water so I just make sure I finish one before lunch, one before dinner, and one after dinner (after the 30 min is up).

My nutritionist is very determined that we stick to only 3 meals a day and I find that sipping water really helps me avoid snacking. So, as I haven't had perfect restriction yet, I end up drinking four of these on a lot of days so I'm actually getting more like 100 oz of water per day. For me, I guess the water keeps my stoma busy enough that it tricks my stomach into thinking I'm still full even though my last meal has really worn off.