Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going on a cruise in July, would Dr. lossen band for just that week ?

That thought crossed my mind too when I first was banded. I don't think I would have ever pursued it but I did wonder about it!

I am going to Jamaica 2 weeks from today to an all inclusive Sandals resort. food & drinks are abundant there also. Having just had my 4th fill a little over a week ago I am 90% positive that I am at MY sweet spot. I see the doc 2 days before I leave. In NO WAY do I want anything removed! It took 4 months to finally know what restriction & satiety are. The last thing I want to do is gain weight & start from scratch with fills!

I just wanted to give you a little comfort in knowing that by the time you finally get to July, your tune probably will change!!!:laugh:

P.S. If there is something I can't resist, I'll have some! I may even order dessert first once! It is my vacation after all!:wink2:

Edited by HeatherR
spelling error

I wouldn't do it myself just because I have been working hard to change my habits, lose and become healthier. Enjoy the healthy choices on board, and the activities you will be comfortable doing now that you weigh less and may not have felt comfortable with before at your starting weight. Activities not food should be your focus. It has the potential to be the vacation cruise like no other that you have had in your life. LIVE IT UP with good health! Enjoy!

I dont know if mine would,, and i wouldnt ask - we need to learn to enjoy food and life with the band in place doing its job - loosening so we think we can enjoy something more isnt learning.. i dont think anyway.

Hello everyone,

I am 12 days post-op and have not had a fill yet. I was just checking something though to see if anyone would know the answer. I am taking a cruise in July and you know it's all the food you can eat on a cruise but for me of course no way, but in case I ate something that I just could not resist and wanted more of it. Do you think I could get the Dr. to loosen my band up just for the vacation and when I get back have it tightened up again ? I know of course I would gain a few lbs on the cruise becuase of that but then I know I could get it back off again too...what are your thoughts?

Robin in Cincinnati, OH

From a long-term member of the banded living community and frequent traveler.

DON'T DO IT, please!

You should be able to go on the crusie, have a great time, enjoy a leaner and healthier you, and enjoy smaller portions of the foods you love most on the cruise. Why not instead, use the cruise as an opportunity to give yourself permission to maintain the weight you lose between now and then, instead of trying to lose. You can use this opportunity to learn to dine, by eating slowly and savoring the foods you love, instead of eating too fast, not tasting what you eat and feeling crappy afterwards. Just think how great you'll feel if you prove to yourself you can do this.

Hello everyone,

I am 12 days post-op and have not had a fill yet. I was just checking something though to see if anyone would know the answer. I am taking a cruise in July and you know it's all the food you can eat on a cruise but for me of course no way, but in case I ate something that I just could not resist and wanted more of it. Do you think I could get the Dr. to loosen my band up just for the vacation and when I get back have it tightened up again ? I know of course I would gain a few lbs on the cruise becuase of that but then I know I could get it back off again too...what are your thoughts?

Robin in Cincinnati, OH

Hi Robin,

My doctor would do it. We have spoken about it. I have gone on two cruises since banding. The band is afterall, adjustable. It is part of the name. :wink2:

I decided against unfilling for many of the reasons mentioned here. Not getting back to my same restricition and risking my good habits being huge reasons. Also, the get an unfill for this and this and this...nah. I wonder if insurance would cover all that, too?

At my current restriction level (which I was at the last time I cruised last April--I think) I can eat just about any food I choose. I enjoyed all the foods on the cruise, but I did not have to stuff myself stupid to do so. A bite or two of each flavor was enough.

To be honest, to me the food on cruises is not all it is cracked up to be. It is good, yes, but not better than what is found on land, and not worth gaining a few pounds.

I did postpone my first fill for a cruise because I did not want to find myself in the middle of the Panama Canal having problems.

So, I might consider an unfill if I were going somewhere that medical help would be questionable and my restriction level were on the snug side. I have been too tight, and would not want to risk trying to get an unfill from a tribal doctor in the back country somewhere!!

I wouldnt do it.. But then again I dont just go on cruises to eat, I want to enjoy myself and I think it would be good to have more restrain

Don't do it. You will feel so much better about the cruise (and yourself) if you don't unfill the band. It is a tool that helps us make healthier choices and control our portions, which is important on a cruise, at a wedding, etc.

Hi everyone, wow thanks for all of your great responses. to answer a couple of you, yes AI am newly banded and have not had any fills yet so I guess I don't know what all to expect yet, I am only 12 days post op right now. I am just so used to eating so much and when we cruised in April 2008 it was eat, eat, & eat oh and did I say eat...LOL I am sure you all are right when July finally does get here and my pounds have dropped I'll probably not want to get unfilled, it's just so hard to imagine that right now though. I'll just hopefully realize at that time on how this whole thing works and not want to worry about eating anyway...thanks again for the great support.

Robin