Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need a Pep Talk

I really don't like people like me. It's like, "shake Yourself -- if you can't do it then nobody can talk you into it." However, I'm having the hardest time right now and honestly have no one to help me. I was hoping by posting this I might find someone who has possibly been through this.

I was banded on March 4, 2008. I did really wonderful for a long time. I even went through a period that I wasn't really interested in food. However, back this past October-ish my daughter (I guess it's always easier when you can blame someone) got me hooked on McD's Hot Mocha's. Then I got hooked on the oatmeal Cookies that are 3/$1.00. THEN I found out that those cookies had 150 calories EACH. However, that hasn't deterred me. I often times get 3 early in the day and then 3 later in the day.

Now, I'm back to "sneaking" around to eat cookies, etc. I've gained 15 pounds over the past few months. My clothes are getting tight again. I don't like who I am. I'm embarrassed for people to see me because I think they are noticing I'm gaining weight.

Why have I now allowed food to control my life and who I am. For approx. 1 1/2 yrs. I was in control and happy with myself.

Is there anyone out there who had to somehow "get a hold of yourself" again? How did you do it? Were you or are you a foodaholic?

I thank anyone who read this long, rambling post. :biggrin:

I'm in the same boat! I was banded about 1 year ago and have done pretty good until recently. I have found myself slipping back into my old bad habits. I had knee surgery about 2 weeks ago and what else is there to do but snack? I got an the scale and found 11 extra pounds. We just have to take back control and remember that we had surgery and if we don't succeed then it was a waste. Today I started logging all of my food and drinks in a diary and starting some weight lifting and will start walking as my knee permits. Nothin' to it, but to do it!!

me to!banded dec 2008 lot 96 lbs and up &down 1-3 lbs since dec! find my self eating chips/candy but i still make myself go to the gym 4 days i guess thats why i have not gained more! going to my support group tonigt maybe they will help kick me back on the right road!

good luck!!

Any words of Pep I could offer pale before the encouragement of the Master: Paste this into Youtube and prepare to be inspired

Animal House - Bluto's Inspiration Speech

Seriously, looks like you need to change some habits. Buy some of those McD hot chocolates and oatmeal Cookies. Put em in a bag and step on them! Or better yet, take your daughter along and donate all that stuff to the homeless. Make a official break. You can do it. Don't beat up on yourself. Move forward.

Edited by bandpal

I know how you feel. I have found that once I start snacking throughout the day and eating processed carbs it's extremely difficult for me to control myself, and my band seems to become less effective, almost as if all the slider foods cause it to loosen up. On the other hand, when I eat no more than 3 times a day, and I avoid carbs, I feel much more in control. It's probably somewhat of a psychological effect, but it seems like my band will let me overeat when I really want to, but when I eat less often it gets tighter. I know that many people don't like to "diet" after getting the band, and I don't know what your views are on this topic, but I think something like the Atkins induction diet (or at least completely avoiding sugar, white flour, and processed carbs) for a while would help you regain control. I have had lots of slip-ups, and I know how hard it can be to get back on track. Just try not to beat yourself up about it. The important thing is that you're willing to fix this problem before it gets too out of control.

I have tried several different eating approaches while being banded, and I have finally admitted that I need a structured eating plan that eliminates both the need to make daily food choices and "trigger foods" (carbs). I wish I could handle routinely eating all foods in moderation, as this is probably the healthiest way to go, but I have found that it really is necessary for me to completely avoid all carbs except for veggies most of the time (I eat junk food once in a while but definitely not on a daily or weekly basis). During my regular schedule I have a can of v8 vegetable juice and an atkins advantage bar twice a day, and for dinner I have Protein and veggies. If I start eating carbs I get completely out of control, but after sticking to my plan for a few days the cravings go away. Maybe you can eat some other whole grains and healthy carbs and do fine, but I know that I am better off sticking to veggies only as far as carbs go. I think using Meal Replacement bars twice a day is a good way to keep calories low, get in your Protein and Vitamins, and help you regain control by taking away the need to think about food. Then for dinner have protein, veggies, and possibly one serving of a healthy carb. I know this plan is very rigid, and some people might say it's not realistic to follow it long-term, but I am pretty sure that I will always be following a modified version of this plan to avoid weight re-gain. Some people are complulsive eaters who need to avoid their problem foods (usually processed carbs) almost to the extent that an alcoholic needs to avoid alcohol. I know this is not true of everyone who has lap-band, but it's what I think you should try if you're feeling like a foodaholic.

Oh, and exercise can also be very helpful, as I'm sure you already know. I would highly recommend the Bodybugg calorie counting device (www.myapex.com) if you're interested in tracking your calorie intake and seeing how many calories you burn through exercise.

I could have started this thread. I was banded in September 2007, and lost 60 lbs. Since then, I have gained 20 lbs. No excuses, I simply did not follow the rules to the tee. I go through periods of time when I am so tight that I cannot even swallow my own saliva. The last episode had me up all night because when I fell asleep I would choke. I had to go for a 1cc unfill. Anyway, I have also had a very bad problem with Fluid retention from what Google suggests is my vericose veins and poor circulation in my legs. Aside from all of that, I feel out of control with my eating. I am going to take the advice here, and try to adhere to a mostly protein/veggie diet. My goal is to get back under the 200 lbs, and then I will focus on smaller goals, say 10 pounds at a time. I am aiming to lose 2lbs per week...I woke up this morning and exercised and I felt great all day. Now all I can do is take it one day at a time. Good luck.

I am right there with y'all. Finally, I had to shine the "light of truth" on myself and when I did, I found that I was eating alot of junk! I marked that realization as a place to start anew. I sat my family down, talked to them, and put us all back on track. I have started cooking healthy again and being aware of what is going into my mouth. For me this is an going struggle. I am a foodaholic.

Sometimes, there isn't an easy way to shake yourself and unfortunately, just because you have made the realization that you are in control of you, doesn't mean it's easy to take that control. You have to be completely honest with yourself and ready to say no when "good hearted" people (friends & family included) offer you a trigger food (for me it's sweets). Quit feeling ashamed of yourself. You got this far because you counted on you! You are the only one to make the change that is needed and stick with it! Take one day at a time and before you put that next cookie in your mouth ask yourself "why am I doing this?". It sounds lame, but it works.

Hope I made some sort of sense.

Cheryl

Cherylita, that makes total sense. We are the ones who put the fork to our mouths. We have to accept responsibility for our actions. For me, food is a drug, my best friend, my worst enemy. Yesterday, I took control. Today, I am still in control. To me, feeling good about myself is more important than food. My mother passed away on January 1 of this year from a heart attack. She was 59 years old. She had no idea that she had heart disease. My father has had 3 heart attacks. If I do not get this under control, my fate is sealed.

Justwant, I am so sorry to hear about your mom's passing and your dad's struggles. I am so proud of you for keeping it together. Using them for motivation is a hard thing, but a good thing to do. Taking it Day by Day-That's the best we can do.

My motivation is that my DH & I want to have a baby. I try to see "her" (hubby wants a boy of course LOL!) and each time I think of cheating, I think of "her". It's silly, I know, but whatever works to help me through. Lord knows it's hard, but at least we have a board where we can talk to people who really understand.

Hugs,

Cheryl

My motivation is that my DH & I want to have a baby. I try to see "her" (hubby wants a boy of course LOL!) and each time I think of cheating, I think of "her". It's silly, I know, but whatever works to help me through.

I don't think that's silly at all--I think it's inspiring.

Pam

It can work!! I lost weight for the same reasson ( 22y ago) IT is for you!!

aww thanks y'all! I have really been working on being conscious of what I am doing. From my last post on 2/22 to today, I have lost 15lbs. Who knew cutting out sugars and junk could do that? oh wait...I guess everyone knows that lol. I am a slow learner. Anyway, I am on the upswing and feeling good.

Cheryl

Cherylita, You aren't a slow learner. You are doing great! , Did you know peoaple have to hear something at least 5 times before they remember it? We hsve to chancge habits. My local support group talks about re routing your brain- to avoid falling back into old habits.- itis to easy to do this