Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why no straws and reflux ???'s

I was just wondering what the reasoning behind not using a straw is? My doctor never mentioned this to me and I have been using a straw since I came out of surgery. I haven't had any pain with using a straw, but the last 3 days I have been having really bad acid reflux in the afternoon and evenings. Maybe because I am using a straw?? I was banded on 1/13 and do not get a fill until 2/25 so my band is empty. I really wish I knew what was causing this acid reflux. I take Nexium and had reflux before surgery but it was well controlled and I never got "heartburn" Now I have been getting it pretty bad. Any other ideas as to why or what could be causing it? I have been drinking some iced tea which of course has caffeine, maybe that's it. But gosh I really need something to keep me awake at work LOL. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I love my bad so far and don't want reflux to be a problem

It is physically impossible to drink through a straw and not swollow air. The air is the reason we aren't supposed to drink fizzy pop any more. You may want to do away with the straw for a couple weeks and see if it helps you. I gave up pop after my surgery and then one day, I went to Wendys and got some chilli and a small Water. Since I was in my car, I just drank out of the straw thinking the real problem was fizzy pop. I found out right away that the problem is the air. I paid really close attention to what was going into my mouth and that is when I realized the problem with the air. No matter how you do it, a whole straw full of air is in your mouth and you can not let it out. The only way is to swallow it... I haven't used a straw since then. I use caffiene regularly so I know this is just a straw full of air.....Reflux is a separate issue but it is always worth trying getting rid of the straw to see if it is being exacerbated by the air!!! Hugs!!!!

Ya I guess that makes sense. I have been feeling like I need to burp but have trouble doing it, also sometimes when I burp a little of the liquid comes up with it ewwww. I will try getting rid of the straw!! Thanks

I use a straw all the time and have no problem. In fact I can't drink any soda without one. I would talk to your dr about the heartburn. Better be safe than sorry.

Hi,

My surgeon said not to use a straw for 6 months, because of the air you swallow with each drink. He also prescribes all patients pepcid for the first month post surgery. I used the pepcid for two weeks only. I am not prone to reflux. Perhaps a prescription would help you.