Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still on the fence about getting lapband or gastric sleeve. Any advice?

I just had my initial appointment and the doctor said i would be qualified for gastric sleeve or lap band. He thinks that the sleeve would be best because of my eating habits and because i have less time to go back and forth to the doctor because of my kids and being a military family we move alot. I am terrified of both but more terrified that i will feel the lapband inside me. Once they showed the video about possible stomach strangulation with lapband, i got scared away. I just need advice!!

mom2,

I know I'm going to be in the minority in this sentiment but if I had a second chance I'd go for the sleeve. It is an incredible amount of aftercare with the lap-band (at least it has been in my case). I wasn't given the option of sleeve though so I never considered it. I also didn't have the money to be able to get elective surgery outside my insurance plan.

It's solely your decision though. Weigh your pro's and con's. Make a list and definitely get tons of research on both procedures.

Good luck!!

I was thinking about choosing between the 2 surgeries also because quite frankly on these sites you read a few of the best but more of the worst experiences with both on these sites.

That is what has kept me from making the final decision to have my lap band surgery.

After reading thoroughly about both surgeries I have decided to stick with my first decision to do the lap band. My deciding factor was basically not choosing to have surgery where my stomach will actually be cut into 2 pieces and a part removed. In my case and humble opinion I think for me that would only be an option if I was told I had some disease that would require me to have half my stomach removed. I know obesity is a disease (some say) .

I know that any surgery has major surgery risks but in my mind I would rather take my chances with the lap band and hope for the success that many others have had.

I don't mind the fill appts because from what I've read it can avg. out to be from 2-4x the first year and less after that if all goes well. I'm taking this chance hoping I'll have the best case scenario not the worst.

This is a big decision so whatever you decide I wish the best for you.

mom2,

I know I'm going to be in the minority in this sentiment but if I had a second chance I'd go for the sleeve. It is an incredible amount of aftercare with the lap-band® (at least it has been in my case). I wasn't given the option of sleeve though so I never considered it. I also didn't have the money to be able to get elective surgery outside my insurance plan.

It's solely your decision though. Weigh your pro's and con's. Make a list and definitely get tons of research on both procedures.

Good luck!!

If you don't mind .What type of aftercare have you had other than the fills?

I just made a similar post in the general lap-band section (and on a vsg forum). My insurance will pay for either (as long as I qualify for wls) and I feel like there are several pros/cons to each. It is a huge decision and I feel like my family (although very supportive) can only have a very limited amount of input since they can't really relate. I'd love to know which way you decide to go!

My insurance won't do VSG but the main deciding factor for me between bypass and the band is the fact that the band does not make any permanent changes to my body.

I've had the best band experience ever, but I think I'd be tempted go the sleeve in your situation.

I find the band does require a lot of aftercare - although now at four years out, a once a year visit is all I have to do. But it works well here, our medical system means that aftercare is usually free because of the way we pay a one off fee and then the doctor bulk bills - any revision surgery will be free or very low cost depending on your insurance policy, no insurance would quibble about band removal or upgrading, unless you live somewhere remote the surgeon is likely to be local, there's nothing like travelling to and from Mexico or across states for fills, doctors dont in general refuse to treat clients they didnt operate on, there's a whole host of reasons why the band is pretty easy to have here.

I think the adjustability of it is a real advantage, too.

But having just returned to full time work as a teacher, I wonder what on EARTH I'd do needing those six weekly appoinmtments etc. I couldnt do it now, I cant take days off for things like that. If I were moving around like you, I'd think quite hard about a sleeve. But if I could devise a plan of aftercare, I'd still choose a band. Because it does worry me that you've made a permanent change to your body and if it doesnt work well for you, there's no switching over, revision or undoing of it.

If you don't mind .What type of aftercare have you had other than the fills?

No I don't mind at all. :unsure: I also am required to maintain my PCP Dr. visits at least every six months. As well, I'm given blood panel requests every 3 months. I've seen a nutritionist about 3 times since surgery.

Now those are likely all things you will still need to do regardless of which surgery you have. It can pile on for me though along with all the fills/unfills I've had.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from having the Lap-Band. It works for a great deal many people, and I think that's great! If you choose the band I really hope it works for you too. I think IMO the main factor with the Band is you're not just going to lose the weight. You still have to work for the pounds lost by eating right and getting some exercise. You have to stay focused!

Thanks for the response Irene.

I know it's going to take some work with the band another reason why I chose it .

I can lose weight like a lot of us it is just so hard for me to keep it off. I need to learn how to control what I eat and when and to exercise consistently. I'm sticking with the band like I said before the band will take some work but I just can't see having my stomach cut in half unless I simply had to for other reasons.

I have to go to my PCP every 6 months anyway because of my HBP because of being obese. I'm looking forward to seeing him after my surgery a few times so he can tell me my HBP is gone my borderline High cholesterol is under control. So he can take morbidly obese off my chart and all the rest.

thank you again, Dee

That will happen for you, it happened for me. :unsure: I used to be on 4 different HBP medications before banding and weight loss. Through my hard work and efforts and surgery that helped so much - I am now down to one pill a day. It's the HCTZ and to be honest I probably could give that up too. It's the lightest dose available and my blood pressure is around 110/70 and sometimes lower. I just don't want to go through the Water gain that comes with lighter or no doses! LOL :bored:

I wish you the best! As long as you keep in mind it's no easy task and you stay on track you will lose the weight, and you will keep it off.

Thank you Irene.

OP asked a question and never came back, I hate that. :)

LOL Yes I noticed that too. It's ok though, as long as it's here - especially for those users who don't like to talk and read only.

:)

In her defense, relative to NOT returning, it takes some time to learn to navigate this site. And, as you said, so many of us benefited from the question and the responses.

Thank you all. :)

just my two cents, but as a military wife myself, that was the first thing my doc said was that it is really big overseas and if i had to go to germany etc they know what their doing. Either surgery...i feel you have to be ready to change how youre living now eating habits etc...because if it was all as easy as surgery we wouldnt have obese people. Im due to go in feb 11th!! for the band, my big decision maker was its not permanant persay, granted they dont want to take it out but it can be....your regular anatomy is not changed doing this