Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me...I'm at the end of my rope here

Hi everyone, so I had registered here awhile ago but never really participated, but now I think I need all the help I can get.

I have had the surgery year and half ago (19 months now), and I have not lost a single pound. I am really ashamed about it, but there is nobody in my life that knows I have the Lap-band (and I mean NO ONE, friends or family), so I really have no one to talk about this. I have also moved to a different state for a job right after the surgery, so I haven't seen my doctor (or any lapband doctor) in over a year.

Before you judge me, yes, I know I was not mentally ready for this, but this thing has been inside for almost two years, so it's time I get my life back in order....

Few things about me: I am in my 20's female. I moved to different city 2,000 miles for a job, so I have no family or close friends here to help me get through this. I weighted 195 lbs before surgery and weigh exactly the same right now. I have had one fill after surgery, and at first I felt little restriction but it went away with time. I have also been vegetarian for 10 years now, so I survive on carbs.

Is there any hope for me??? Is it possible I had stretched my pouch over the time? I know I need to start by finding a doctor in my city, but what else do I need to do to get on the track??? Any little suggested or words of incouragement will be greatly appreciated :cursing:

Also, if anyone from NYC, maybe can recomment a doctor here. Please help, I feel like I lost control of my life :scared2:

Edited by tallymia

There is still hope for you. Just click redo in your mind and forget about the time that has passed. Set a short term goal and go for it. At the begining you should be keeping a food diary. This has helped me tremendously. The 2 months before I was banded I lost 18 pounds just by doing the diary and low carb. Even though you live on carbs it will help for you to see you portion sizes and how many calories you are taking in. My Doc also has me starting at 10-15 minutes of excersize everyday. You can still make this work. I will encourage you to get to the doc but you already know that.

Your first step should be to try and let the shame go that you feel about this situation. It is what it is and without getting fills or having support I can understand why you are feeling the way you do. Find a doctor in your area that you can visit with and let him know what has been going on with you and inform him you want to get back on track. Also, when you do find a doc, check out if the clinic has any programs set up for after care. (Support group you can attend, nutritionist to talk to, etc.).

It will take some work on your part but with proper fills and some support you can turn this around. It's never too late.

PM me or email me if you would like to talk. Wishing you luck!

You are very young and have your whole life ahead of you. Today is just the first day.

You can find the surgeons in your area by clicking here: LapBandTalk.com - LapBand Surgeon Search

Call a few and ask if they handle aftercare for already banded patients.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Also, stick around and let other young people know that the weight doesn't magically disappear after the piece of plastic is inserted. There are quite a few here that are in their teens and think this is the answer to all of their problems.

You are very young and have your whole life ahead of you. Today is just the first day.

You can find the surgeons in your area by clicking here: LapBandTalk.com - LAP-BAND® Surgeon Search

Call a few and ask if they handle aftercare for already banded patients.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Also, stick around and let other young people know that the weight doesn't magically disappear after the piece of plastic is inserted. There are quite a few here that are in their teens and think this is the answer to all of their problems.

Yes, you are exactly right. I was too naive to think this was the answer and the weight will magically fall off. And no matter how many times the surgeon repeated this was "just a tool", I nodded my head, but still thought if I could just get this piece of plastic, everything will be OK. I am so dissapointed with myself... :cursing:

Let me get this straight. You are two years post-band, have only had one fill, and you haven't lost any weight...*but* you still weigh the same as you did two years ago? Well, honey, give yourself a big pat on the back! How many of us have gone two years without gaining even a couple of pounds!

*If* there is a danger in stretching your pouch, it will come after you've reached some sort of restriction. Most likely, with only one fill (especially considering how conservative most docs are with that fill), you haven't had any restriction which means the last two years has been pretty much like not having a band at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would, however, find a bariatric clinic/doctor in your area and make an appointment to start getting fills because for most of us, the weight loss doesn't come until the band is actually doing something besides sitting there and looking pretty...and that generally doesn't happen until we've had a number of fills. My doc is pretty aggressive and I'm up to 7.5cc in a 12cc band and I no longer have restriction. I get another fill next week and I'm crossing my fingers that it's the one that will give me permanent restriction.

Get over it already and get on with your life!!

I won't say not to be disappointed because I would be with myself. I would also try hard to start over and forget about the past. You probably haven't done any permanent harm or it would be painful.

Start calling surgeons on Monday morning but don't wait until Monday to get back in the game.

Start by documenting everything you eat. You can do this on paper or online here: Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate

Only eat when you are hungry and stop when you are no longer hungry.

Limit the amount of snack foods you eat. If you must snack, try to keep them to around 100 calories.

Drink at least 64 ounces of clear Water a day.

Exercise a few times a week.

Edited by btrieger

Let me get this straight. You are two years post-band, have only had one fill, and you haven't lost any weight...*but* you still weigh the same as you did two years ago? Well, honey, give yourself a big pat on the back! How many of us have gone two years without gaining even a couple of pounds!

*If* there is a danger in stretching your pouch, it will come after you've reached some sort of restriction. Most likely, with only one fill (especially considering how conservative most docs are with that fill), you haven't had any restriction which means the last two years has been pretty much like not having a band at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would, however, find a bariatric clinic/doctor in your area and make an appointment to start getting fills because for most of us, the weight loss doesn't come until the band is actually doing something besides sitting there and looking pretty...and that generally doesn't happen until we've had a number of fills. My doc is pretty aggressive and I'm up to 7.5cc in a 12cc band and I no longer have restriction. I get another fill next week and I'm crossing my fingers that it's the one that will give me permanent restriction.

Actually I lost 10 pounds the first month, but then gained it back over the year and half.... so now I'm back to 195. I know 10 pounds gain is not a lot considering I haven't had much restriction or haven't been dieting at all, but I am still mortified that I stretched my pouch. I guess I wont know until I make it to the doctor. The thing is, the reason I've been putting this away for so long is that I'm sooo embarrassed to face the doctor and tell than how irresponsible I've been. :cursing:

I agree with the poster who mentioned you not gaining weight. Even if you put back on the 10 lbs you lost, that is over a 2 year period. I agree with others that state that only having one fill it's like next to nothing with restriction. I highly doubt you have stretched the pouch. Things are probably just sliding on through. Like the others said, find a doctor. I remember one of the first few things my bariatric nurse said to me after my surgery is... you will learn to eat around your band, but the beauty of the band (over bypass) is that if you fall off the wagon you can always go for an adjustment to get back on track." That's all you need, dear. I also highly recommend that you make yourself accountable to your band and your progress by telling at the very least your close family and friends. Best of luck to you. And like another posted said, stick around here and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks everyone, I just found 3 different doctors in my area I am going to call on Monday. I am so anxious, I would call right now but it's Saturday night, so I just have to be paitient until Monday! Wish me luck, I'm already getting excited !!!!

I hope that things go well for you and you can be proud of the progress you make. I am in my 20s too and finally had the band after a year of considering, sometimes I find it rediculously difficult but returning to the basics, the food journal, just reminding myself of the changes that I have made and how much it helps. You'll get there!

Believe in yourself :cursing:

Hi,

I live in NYC and had my surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital with Dr. Mitchell Roslin. The entire team there is excellent and came highly recommended. Here's a link to their website where you can check out the program and schedule an appointment. Weight Loss New York City :: Lenox Hill Hospital

Also, NYU medical has a great program as well. Dr. Kurian who has been chronicled on various news magazines and has appeared on Oprah is head of their bariatric center. Regardless of what doctor you choose, please see someone soon. Follow-up care w/ any procedure is a must and you are definitely in need of that care.

Best,

Lauren

Hi,

I live in NYC and had my surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital with Dr. Mitchell Roslin. The entire team there is excellent and came highly recommended. Here's a link to their website where you can check out the program and schedule an appointment. Weight Loss New York City :: Lenox Hill Hospital

Also, NYU medical has a great program as well. Dr. Kurian who has been chronicled on various news magazines and has appeared on Oprah is head of their bariatric center. Regardless of what doctor you choose, please see someone soon. Follow-up care w/ any procedure is a must and you are definitely in need of that care.

Best,

Lauren

Hi Lauren, Dr. Kurian is the one I've been considering, but I ran across somewhere that NYU med is a little pricey, since I'm paying out of pocket. I have to call around on Monday, because I do want to make a commitment, which means I have to be able to afford more than just one visit. I will try calling Lenox Hill offices, thanks for the pointer.

Hi Lauren, Dr. Kurian is the one I've been considering, but I ran across somewhere that NYU med is a little pricey, since I'm paying out of pocket. I have to call around on Monday, because I do want to make a commitment, which means I have to be able to afford more than just one visit. I will try calling Lenox Hill offices, thanks for the pointer.

No problem at all. Yes, NYU can be on the high side. You might also want to try the bariatric center at NY Presybterian hospital. Years ago, a friend of mine had gastric bypass and was self-pay. The prices were "NY reasonable" and they worked out a payment plan for him.

Best,

Lauren

but I am still mortified that I stretched my pouch. I guess I wont know until I make it to the doctor. The thing is, the reason I've been putting this away for so long is that I'm sooo embarrassed to face the doctor and tell than how irresponsible I've been. :cursing:

You don't know that you stretched your pouch...and it sounds like you didn't even have restriction so your ability to eat most likely has nothing to do with stretching your pouch and more to do with the fact that the band hasn't even been involved yet.

Quit beating yourself up. This is a learning process. Now you've learned that just getting the band put in isn't enough. You actually have to get it filled to make it work. So...nothing lost. You still have the band...now you just have to get it working.

Looks like there are some good resources here for finding a new doc. Good luck to you.