Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have any problems with pre-op tests?

For some reason, my dr schedules all pre-op tests in one day. We couldn't do the psych eval because they are closed for the holiday. But I could do Upper GI, EKG, Chest x-ray, and labs and the consult with the nutrionist. I was supposed to go to one hospital in Raleigh, but when I got there the lady at the desk said I was scheduled to go to the main hospital which is on the other side of town.

I couldn't see my nutriontist because she was the one that I should have gone to at the hospital that I was supposed to go to, plus I was more than 15 minutes late. UGH. I was and still am frustrated. When I called my dr. I was about to cry. So, they have to reschedule that appointment.

I thought this was supposed to be happy? I'm just frustrated and stressed out. This is the hardest thing that I've ever done. I'm alone in this process. My family isn't supportive and when I talk to them they get negative. I mean, really? They see how big I am, but apparently they don't care? I remember a couple of years ago they cared. I know there are support groups and the such, but it will not replace what I should have.

Sorry to rant... :)

I feel your pain, I had my upper GI on Friday, and the tech said he saw a hiatal hernia. I don't know if the hiatal hernia repair will be included in the price for the lap band surgery ( i will be self pay). I am so stressed out, this is such a long process, and I find that there are so many up and down, one minute I think I am having the surgery, and the next minute I feel that some pre-op test will prevent me from having the surgery. I really wish you the best.

Try not to let yourself get discouraged. You are a very young woman and probably have not had a lot of experience with dealing with our health care system. I have been a nurse for 25 years and have still had problems (ie getting a letter from my primary MD for my insurance approval) My suggestion is to be as organized as possible, use a note book, (or your favorite electronic device) and keep track of all your appointments, tests, contact info, etc. Don't take anything for granted...confirm appointments, double check locations, follow-up to make sure tests results get to who they need to get to. If it sounds like a pain in the butt and a lot of work.....IT IS!!! Just keep in mind that anything worth while is worth the effort......that YOU are worth the effort! Good luck with your journey.

For some reason, my dr schedules all pre-op tests in one day. We couldn't do the psych eval because they are closed for the holiday. But I could do Upper GI, EKG, Chest x-ray, and labs and the consult with the nutrionist. I was supposed to go to one hospital in Raleigh, but when I got there the lady at the desk said I was scheduled to go to the main hospital which is on the other side of town.

I couldn't see my nutriontist because she was the one that I should have gone to at the hospital that I was supposed to go to, plus I was more than 15 minutes late. UGH. I was and still am frustrated. When I called my dr. I was about to cry. So, they have to reschedule that appointment.

I thought this was supposed to be happy? I'm just frustrated and stressed out. This is the hardest thing that I've ever done. I'm alone in this process. My family isn't supportive and when I talk to them they get negative. I mean, really? They see how big I am, but apparently they don't care? I remember a couple of years ago they cared. I know there are support groups and the such, but it will not replace what I should have.

Sorry to rant... :)

I so feel for you!!! I have been running around with consults as well....tests and more tests. Unfortunately the consults and med tests are recquired....and I find this the most frustrating of all procedures..but we must be in good health with no complications in order for us to be able to have this surgery...

My orriginal date of surgery was for the 8th of Feb however, when doing the sleep study...one of the recquirements in NY they found I have severe sleep apnea..SO, I need a CPAP fitted which means another sleep study..before and after treatment starts with 6 weeks in between. My sleep doc..(pumonologist) will not give clearance till after this is all done....this will put me at March..15th the new date. He also did a full lung work up and my lungs are not working as well as they should...so he changed my asthma meds.

After the endoscopy the upper GI Doc.,...found I have a germ testing positive that Ill need to take an antibiotic for two weeks straight. This would not have interefered with date of surgery however left untreated causes ulcers.

I needed to go and find my own nutritionist and psychologist...because the centers...didnt take oxford my insurance...and they wanted $250 each...as opposed to a $30 buck copay each..I called the insurance and called anyone on their provider list and asked if they had exp, with lap band if yes...how soon can I see them? I got one of each which was all I neede..turned out I really like the nurtritionist so Ill be seeing her on a reg basis.

Im still waiting for the lan results from the endocronologist....and i wouldnt be suprised if they find I have some weird diagnosis...lol but im hoping not! I get them back today.

I was told this is the harderst time period of the whole prodedure...I feel like im running from work to doc to doc to work to home to doc to home to work lol however, it all needs to be done,,,,so im just doing it...

This is what helped me.....perhaps it can help you

I have a pocket calendar, in addition to my blackberry. I write everything down each doctor, date of consult,phone number, address in full....I know ill be calling each to hound them for tests results, scripts and the clearance letter. I do this for every apt..regardless if ive been before ..this way I have the info in several places if needed. (and youl need it multiple of times)

I made an excell spread sheet...(had help here) with all the consults needed and then spaces that I can check off each with the headings....consult date, test done, results, consult letter, in to lap band center. at the end of each I put a big check showing everything was done.

In addition to above...I tried to find all the doctors in the same building or area..so if I need to run from some office to another for any reason....I can...and have. In LI, NY this is possible most practices assoc with one Hospital are usually in one location.

This has been a harrowing experience and I can understand your frustration! This all is hard enough with support...I cant imagine it without!!! SOOOOO let us be your suport family. come talk to us...yell with us cry to us, laugh with us..believe me their will be plenty of all the above....so far...Ive been here two weeks...and I thank my lucky stars I fell upon this site....

Dont give up,.just keep going it will be over before you know it and surgery will be just around the corner!!!

Good luck!!!

Jodi

I guess I'm not having a hard time compared to you all. This is my first big thing that I have to prepare by myself. I'm getting no support for my parents, so I guess I have to grow up. I think they can get the results from the main hospital. All I need to schedule is the diet consult and the pysch eval. I hope this gets over soon. I think I'm starting to get grey hairs. lol

I guess I am lucky in that my team is located all in one place and I could have most of my appointments on the same day.

I had an issue with the manometry... I'm not sure if this is the same test as the upper GI test other posters have mentioned... It would have been nice if I had a little warning about the test! The doctor said that the test would be unpleasant. I thought it was painful and the worst thing that I had to do in my life (so far). If you haven't experienced it, I should explain... The doctor puts a gel up your nostril to facilitate the tube he inserts into your nostril down your esophagus to your stomach. I have issues with my nasal cavities and the tube coiled onto itself. The doctor was persistant and tried this procedure in BOTH nostrils TWICE! Ouch! Since he could not go through my nose, I ended up swallowing the tube. The second version was unpleasant (with the gagging and all), but the first version was torture. If you know you have an issue with your nasal cavities, I suggest that you speak with the doctor before he attempts this procedure.

The Barium Swallow was not very pleasant either. The barium they made me drink gave me diarrhea for several days. Ugh.

Anyway, my surgery is in a week. I am so excited! Thanks for "listening".:biggrin:

I guess I am lucky in that my team is located all in one place and I could have most of my appointments on the same day.

I had an issue with the manometry... I'm not sure if this is the same test as the upper GI test other posters have mentioned... It would have been nice if I had a little warning about the test! The doctor said that the test would be unpleasant. I thought it was painful and the worst thing that I had to do in my life (so far). If you haven't experienced it, I should explain... The doctor puts a gel up your nostril to facilitate the tube he inserts into your nostril down your esophagus to your stomach. I have issues with my nasal cavities and the tube coiled onto itself. The doctor was persistant and tried this procedure in BOTH nostrils TWICE! Ouch! Since he could not go through my nose, I ended up swallowing the tube. The second version was unpleasant (with the gagging and all), but the first version was torture. If you know you have an issue with your nasal cavities, I suggest that you speak with the doctor before he attempts this procedure.

The Barium Swallow was not very pleasant either. The barium they made me drink gave me diarrhea for several days. Ugh.

Anyway, my surgery is in a week. I am so excited! Thanks for "listening".:biggrin:

Ummm.... wow. That is not the test I had. Oh, you need a hug! That sounds horrible. :ohmy: The only problems I had with the Upper GI is that I could only wear a hospital gown (still could keep the pants on) and no bra. So, there was a cute guy, that I guess was training so he HAD to be there. I'm really self-conscious about not wearing a bra... lol, I know, stupid. Also the woman that was trying to draw blood from apparently didn't know how... I have a huge bruise from it but all is ok.