Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op overeating?///

How crazy that so many people have the same mind set as me! This forum is going to be very helpful. I am going through the same thing. I feel like a prisoner getting his last meal before the electric chair. My wife even made me some Cookies today. She even made mention of the last supper.

I had my pre-op meeting with Dr Michael Snyder. He only has a 24 hour liquid diet, and nothing to eat or drink after midnight the day of the surgery.

We've gone to eat at a couple of my favorite restaurants. I like Lone Star's 14 oz rib eye, with the baked potato. The crazy part is that I've been eating more, and seem to be loosing weight.

One thing I am concerned with and could use some suggestions, is that when I get to my goal weight, I'll be able to have the rib eye again. I need to get that out of my head. Any thoughts?

My surgery date is 1-22.

Snipped

One thing I am concerned with and could use some suggestions, is that when I get to my goal weight, I'll be able to have the rib eye again. I need to get that out of my head. Any thoughts?

My surgery date is 1-22.

You might be able to eat rib eye again. I can still eat beef. Yummy! BUT, I can guaruuunteeeee, you won't be eating the 14 oz. in one sitting, or maybe even 4 sittings. ;)

We had filet the other evening. My hubby prepared two of them, probably 6-8 oz each. He polished off his. I ate about a quarter of mine. Put the rest away. I made a 3 egg omlette the next morning, we shared the remainder of my steak. He had half of it, I had another quarter and about 1/3 of the omlette.

So, I got to enjoy filet twice instead of once! How lucky am I?

Baked potato, I LOVE! But, I find I just don't have room for it. If we make it, I grab a little bit of hubby's and I am good. I still get the taste, but I am full.

I don't feel deprived a bit, I am satisfied. That is the biggest change the band has brought me. It allows me the moderation that I could never achieve in previous diet attempts because I always WANTED more. I listen to my body and I stop eating when I am satisfied..ok, that takes practice, don't wait until the band is screaming at you to stop, listen for the whisper of satiety.

Best wishes!

Denise

I had a number of "last meals" before I got banded. I felt stressed that I'd never be able to eat "normally" again.

What I wish someone would have told me in advance is that getting the band isn't the death of being able to eat good food. And that when the band isn't filled, you can pretty much eat how you did before (which is why there is a thing called "Bandster Hell" that happens before you get filled to restriction).

I hope that this info takes some of the anxiety out of this for you! My guess is that's why you've been doing so much eating. Anyway, let yourself have a few nice meals before your pre-op diet, but don't go crazy -- you can still eat most things with the band.

Best wishes,

Catherine

I have been finding myself overeating also. After gradually losing for the last six months with monthly drs visits(forced to by insurance company) because my BMI wasn't high enough alone for the lap band, i thought well eat everthing you can now before surgery. Had my last appt. today surgery on the 26th nervouse and excited! Thank god for this forum everybody's advice really helps....

Great forum. I haven't hit that "last supper syndrome" yet. I am trying to start the basics that I was told at my first meeting. I don't drink before, during or after meals. I eat slowly, take a bite, put it down, talk, then take another bite. I'm cutting out soda so that by March I won't need it. But I'm afraid that when I do get that surgery date I will go nuts freaking out. I'm hoping that my DH will keep me grounded and it won't happen.

Great forum. I haven't hit that "last supper syndrome" yet. I am trying to start the basics that I was told at my first meeting. I don't drink before, during or after meals. I eat slowly, take a bite, put it down, talk, then take another bite. I'm cutting out soda so that by March I won't need it. But I'm afraid that when I do get that surgery date I will go nuts freaking out. I'm hoping that my DH will keep me grounded and it won't happen.

That is the practical thing to do. Why pack on extra pounds and keep the bad habits that we are going under the knife to try and lose?

It's not like we need to stock up on supplies because we are going on a long trip. This is for the rest of our lives. The rest of our lives starts today, not tomorrow.

When I went in for my first meeting with the surgeon in early November, they weighed me (281.4). When I went in for my EKG, etc. in mid-December, they told me that my surgeon would not operate on me if I weighed more than 281.4 on my surgery date. It would've been nice if I'd known that in November... I'd already gained 6 pounds by then!

I know people often lose 10+ pounds during their pre-op diet, but I don't want to risk it, so I am trying to lose those 6 pounds between now and when I start. Yet I keep being tempted to have "last suppers."

I just (like, 30 minutes ago) found out when my surgery will be and now my need to lose this weight seems very real! I hadn't really been taking it seriously before, but now I definitely am!!

You might be able to eat rib eye again. I can still eat beef. Yummy! BUT, I can guaruuunteeeee, you won't be eating the 14 oz. in one sitting, or maybe even 4 sittings. :thumbup:

We had filet the other evening. My hubby prepared two of them, probably 6-8 oz each. He polished off his. I ate about a quarter of mine. Put the rest away. I made a 3 egg omlette the next morning, we shared the remainder of my steak. He had half of it, I had another quarter and about 1/3 of the omlette.

So, I got to enjoy filet twice instead of once! How lucky am I?

Baked potato, I LOVE! But, I find I just don't have room for it. If we make it, I grab a little bit of hubby's and I am good. I still get the taste, but I am full.

I don't feel deprived a bit, I am satisfied. That is the biggest change the band has brought me. It allows me the moderation that I could never achieve in previous diet attempts because I always WANTED more. I listen to my body and I stop eating when I am satisfied..ok, that takes practice, don't wait until the band is screaming at you to stop, listen for the whisper of satiety.

Best wishes!

Denise

I like that thought process Denise... that is how I see the lapband too... change how much you eat...

I would be perfectly happy at an all you can eat buffet with a salad plate that had a tablespoon of everything... I like the small taste part... that is why I am so excited about this lapband.. I think it will allow my stomach to catch up to my mind:)

Good points...

Jennifer

When I went in for my first meeting with the surgeon in early November, they weighed me (281.4). When I went in for my EKG, etc. in mid-December, they told me that my surgeon would not operate on me if I weighed more than 281.4 on my surgery date. It would've been nice if I'd known that in November... I'd already gained 6 pounds by then!

I know people often lose 10+ pounds during their pre-op diet, but I don't want to risk it, so I am trying to lose those 6 pounds between now and when I start. Yet I keep being tempted to have "last suppers."

I just (like, 30 minutes ago) found out when my surgery will be and now my need to lose this weight seems very real! I hadn't really been taking it seriously before, but now I definitely am!!

DO NOT wait until the pre-op diet because most people lose 10+ pounds! I'm willing to bet that most people don't lose 10+ pounds and you only remember the ones that do.

You can do this. You don't have to starve yourself and it doesn't have to hurt.

1. Walk for 150 minutes a week. Split it up any way you want.
  2. Drink at least 64 ounces of Water a day.
  3. Do NOT go near any fast food restaurants!
  4. Eat breakfast!
  5. Cut back on your portions a little.
  6. Chew slow and stop eating when you are no longer hungry. You don't get points for clearing your plate.
  7. Don't eat too much junk food. A small bag of chips or a cookie here and there won't kill you but remember moderation.
  8. Eat only when hungry, not out of habit or boredom.
  9. Document everything that passes your gums. You may see that you are eating more than you thought. There are sites for doing this like dailyplate.com.
  10. Don't beat yourself up or get depressed because that leads to over-eating for a lot of us.

I am not banded yet and have been doing what I just listed and I am dropping 3-5 pounds a week. I am not dieting, I am just eating smarter in preparation for banding.

Hi Spaz,

Something else to add to your practice, and maybe you do, but just didn't put it here. Take the bite, CHEW IT COMPLETELY and SWALLOW IT, then talk. Be sure you have fully chewed the item and swallowed it.

I can't tell you how many times I have gotten myself into trouble by being in a hurry to say something. Momma said it is rude to talk with my mouth full, so I chew quickly and not thoroughly, swallow it to say something and, DANG-IT-ALL!!!! STUCK!

It takes some getting used to, that is a fact!

Denise

Something that plays into that Last Supper Syndrome is this: subconsciously, your brain has decided that once you're banded you won't be able to eat anything that's yummy, etc. Please be assured that once you are past the post-op liquids (and let me tell you that instant mashed potatoes will NEVER taste as good as they do when you get to mushy foods), you will be eating NORMAL FOODS, things you like or even love. But the band will help you do something you've not been able to do on your own -- control your portions.

I eat a small slice of birthday cake at the office birthday party every month. I have a drink or two occasionally, I nibble 4 or 5 frnech fries when I really crave them and that satisfies the craving ... and you get the picture. You won't be able to go face down in a cherry pie or a carton of ice cream but you will be able to enjoy foods still, and even in a way you didn't before because you will HAVE to eat slowly which will allow to savor the tastes and textures.

I like that thought process Denise... that is how I see the LAP-BAND®® too... change how much you eat...

I would be perfectly happy at an all you can eat buffet with a salad plate that had a tablespoon of everything... I like the small taste part... that is why I am so excited about this LAP-BAND®®.. I think it will allow my stomach to catch up to my mind:)

Good points...

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer! I hope it helps!

It's taken nearly two years of practice and I don't know how many stuck episodes to reach this point :thumbup:

Funny for me, my mind has had to catch up with my stomach! My brain still thinks I don't have a band. I still feel as hungry as I did before the band. Ok, that isn't exactly it. My hunger still feels the same. When I am hungry, I feel like I can eat the same amount. I have to make an effort to not put the same amount of food on my plate. You mentioned a salad plate. That is a very good idea. I use a smaller plate whenever I can. It just limits the amount I can grab. Even thought intellectually I know I won't be able to eat the bigger quantity, if there is room on the plate, I want to fill it up.

It is getting easier to not do so. But it takes a loooong time to retrain the brain.

When I complained about this at a fill, my surgeon said, "well, it took you 43 years to learn to eat the way you have been, what makes you think you will learn these new habits over night?" Dang, was he ever right.

But, I have done two cruises with my band. I have not felt deprived on either one. Sure, I had to be more selective on what I chose because there was not as much room, but that really isn't a bad thing.

Denise

To all of you who think you will not be able to enjoy food again after being banded.......THIS SIMPLY ISN'T TRUE!

Hold onto your restaurant gift cards. You can still use them after being banded. The only difference is, you will be eating much less. Your life isn't ending so try not to look at it this way.

If you pack on weight before surgery, you are doing yourself a huge injustice. This is more weight you will have to lose later. Also, you're adding to the fat around your liver which can make surgery more difficult and dangerous or make your surgeon not be able to band you at all until you lose the weight and shrink your liver.

Put it into perspective now! It's only food! There is so much more to life than food.< /p>

Hi Jennifer! I hope it helps!

It's taken nearly two years of practice and I don't know how many stuck episodes to reach this point :tt1:

Funny for me, my mind has had to catch up with my stomach! My brain still thinks I don't have a band. I still feel as hungry as I did before the band. Ok, that isn't exactly it. My hunger still feels the same. When I am hungry, I feel like I can eat the same amount. I have to make an effort to not put the same amount of food on my plate. You mentioned a salad plate. That is a very good idea. I use a smaller plate whenever I can. It just limits the amount I can grab. Even thought intellectually I know I won't be able to eat the bigger quantity, if there is room on the plate, I want to fill it up.

It is getting easier to not do so. But it takes a loooong time to retrain the brain.

When I complained about this at a fill, my surgeon said, "well, it took you 43 years to learn to eat the way you have been, what makes you think you will learn these new habits over night?" Dang, was he ever right.

But, I have done two cruises with my band. I have not felt deprived on either one. Sure, I had to be more selective on what I chose because there was not as much room, but that really isn't a bad thing.

Denise

Denise...

I think it is my military experience that makes me condition the mind.. I went for my preop physical today and lost another pound (yeah:):thumbup: but I haven't been altering my diet. I think subconsciously I am thinking like I have the band... every bite I take I think about how I would have to eat when I have the band... so I think subconsciously I am eating less....although I haven't really realized it...

So I am happy for that... I have no anxiety about not being able to eat...I am actually really looking forward to it... the worst thing for me is the hunger pangs .. then I go CRAZY....:thumbup:....

I am hoping that the band let's me keep my concentration and keep the crazy at bay....

But I am happy to say that as of today...9 pounds down before surgery on the 26th... I am hoping for maybe 11 or 12 gone before surgery.. just for a good jump start to my lap loss:):thumbup:

I also, like you, am focusing on enjoying the company during a traditional feast fest like a cruise. I will tell you that I even saw a hypnotist about this.. (maybe that is why I think the way I do)... but the hypnotist basically said to consider the company during a meal.. not the food... so when I have gatherings..like thanksgiving or a cruise.. I focus on the surroundings and sample the food....

I also know that even during a cruise.. you will still get to try everything... just on a lower level ...so you could still graze all day and be satisfied... I think our mind is very strong... we want that HUGE heaping plate of food... my suggestion is to still do that.. but with a saucer (like a cup and saucer size) instead of the 12" plate.. that way you feel like you have done it.... I don't know.. just playing out the psychological part.... :thumbup::)

Denise...

I think it is my military experience that makes me condition the mind.. I went for my preop physical today and lost another pound (yeah:):tt1: but I haven't been altering my diet. I think subconsciously I am thinking like I have the band... every bite I take I think about how I would have to eat when I have the band... so I think subconsciously I am eating less....although I haven't really realized it...

So I am happy for that... I have no anxiety about not being able to eat...I am actually really looking forward to it... the worst thing for me is the hunger pangs .. then I go CRAZY....:thumbup:....

I am hoping that the band let's me keep my concentration and keep the crazy at bay....

But I am happy to say that as of today...9 pounds down before surgery on the 26th... I am hoping for maybe 11 or 12 gone before surgery.. just for a good jump start to my lap loss:):thumbup:

I also, like you, am focusing on enjoying the company during a traditional feast fest like a cruise. I will tell you that I even saw a hypnotist about this.. (maybe that is why I think the way I do)... but the hypnotist basically said to consider the company during a meal.. not the food... so when I have gatherings..like thanksgiving or a cruise.. I focus on the surroundings and sample the food....

I also know that even during a cruise.. you will still get to try everything... just on a lower level ...so you could still graze all day and be satisfied... I think our mind is very strong... we want that HUGE heaping plate of food... my suggestion is to still do that.. but with a saucer (like a cup and saucer size) instead of the 12" plate.. that way you feel like you have done it.... I don't know.. just playing out the psychological part.... :thumbup::)

I think you are your band are going to get along very well!!

Denise