Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BarbBee's LBL Jan 18th

Aren't those stockings a pain in the **? I toughed it out about 10 days I think but they kept falling down every time I walked! Your swelling looks very good. And my BB looked exactly the same way but as the swelling goes down it's looking more and more normal. What exactly is the new technique for bleeding that you are mentioning? Did he use the Prenio on you?

Barbee:

You look great! You're going to feel lots better when all of the drains are out. Remember, though, even though you'll be feeling better it's best not to overdo it!

Take care.

Sue

Barbbee, Great results. And yes as the swelling goes down everythng will start to look better. My belly button was weird also, now its fine. :-)

Thanks for the reassurance about the belly button. I saw the nurse today and she took my BB stitches out and said not to worry , once the swelling goes down it should be fine. She said even if I am unhappy with it, it can be fixed under local anesthetic in the office.

I had 2 more drains out today so the other 2 will come out Monday. I was really afraid to get 1 of the drains out as everytime I "milked" the tubing into the drain it would burn across my back. It burned a bit on the way out but thank goodness it only takes like 30 seconds!! The other one I did not feel at all. She has you take a big, big breath in and then exhale through your mouth as she takes the drain out. Seemed to work well.

I tried over the counter pills last night trying to avoid the super hot sweats I have been getting. Unfortunately it happened again and the nurse says it sounds like hotflashes from menopause!! I am 47 so this could be the start..Yipee!! Not! I will be happy not to have periods anymore but spontaneous combustion does not feel fun! Oh well..this is all a part of life!

I am so happy with my life right now. I have had such a good recovery and I am very lucky I have had such an easy time of it so far. I really think all my exercise with boot camp and jogging has helped me to recover so well.

Other than going in to see the nurse today (2 hour commute, hubby drove) I have not done much. Washed my hair in the sink and had a sink bath. I can hardly wait to have a shower!!!! Come on Monday!!

I have a huge appetite and asked when I can get a fill as my port was restitched down during surgery. I was told to wait another week and let the swelling go down a bit more and let the internal stiches heal well. My surgery weight was 145.5 and the doc removed 7 pounds but my weight is 151! I hope all that is swelling!! I had fill taken out prior to surgery so I could take pills properly and no throwing up. I feel like i have no restriction so will really have to watch my huge appetite over the next week. I had a big plate of whole wheat veggie spaghetti tonight. I really enjoyed it as it has been 2 years since i have eaten any Pasta. I will enjoy the next week somewhat and then get back to business as I would like to get to around 135-140 to reach my goal.

Take care everybody.

Barb

Both times I have gone in for plastic surgery, Barb, I have had the hot flashes too and I went thru menopause a year ago. What I put it down to is that surgery changes your hormones, because a month or so down the road it all goes away. I meant to mention that in my last post when you said it was the medication. I get that too and at first I thought it was the T3's. Glad to hear your recovery is going good. Had an email about the WLS meeting. Wish I could have gone. Did you make it? Surprised you had some taken out of your band because Dr. Naysmith said I didn't need to even though the clinic insisted. I chose to ignore them and listen to Dr. Naysmith(mostly cause I was afraid of being hungry) I had no problem but then I don't get nausea from aneasthetic. Was that why you had a defill? I also didn't lose any weight postop until about my 2 1/2 week mark. I didn't expect to because I've read all the posts on here from people disappointed with that. All in good time! So, take our word for it that the hot flashes will go away and your weight will drop when the swelling goes!!!!

Something else I noticed after my surgery that I forgot to mention was hair falling out. Are you having that too? After both my Lapband surgery and my 2 PS's I had considerable Hair loss. Good thing that I have lots! Not sure if that is anaesthetic or hormonal changes, but I'm thinking anaesthetic. Also after talking to you last nite I remembered I should have mentioned that a body pillow has really helped me be more comfortable for sleeping. It helps change the stress points just a little because it puts you kind of half on your side and back. I don't particularly like sleeping on my back and we're not supposed to sleep on our stomachs for awhile. So it adds a little variety. And helps the back too! Guess those pesky, pinchy drains are all out now. I'd heard that was the worst part and everybody is right on on that one!

Edited by skinnysue

Thanks for the all the support Sue. It was great talking to you the other night.

The hot flashes must have been hormone related and not medication related as I got my period. It was only 20 days since my last one! Stupid peri-menopause! This is one of the reasons that my hemoglobin goes down.

I had my last 2 drains out on Monday. That was a weird feeling as they were around my back and you can feel them slipping around your back as she takes them out. It was an uncomfortable feeling but not painful. The nurse has told me to promise her i would slow down and rest more. She states now that the drains are all out if you overdue it you can get really swollen.

I am off almost all the pills. I take 1 Ibuprofen at night to help with inflamation. I had a flash free sleep last night and slept through till 5 o'clock AM so I felt great. The swelling seems to go top, down. Most of the swelling is under my belly button and along my pubic line. That whole area still feels numb and kind of drum like.

My weight has gone down to 146 so 1/2 pound from surgery weight of 145.5. I do want to get down to 135 so will be getting a small fill on the 12th.

I love my waist and hip contour but have no bum left. I also have a crease in my back that I really don't like and will be talking with the surgeon about it on the 16th. It kind of looks like a long bum crack and I am not sure if it will go away once swelling is gone or if it will go away when he does a breast lift (get rid of side boobs) in a year or so.

I will post some pics tomorrow and try and get a pic of my back and ask others if they had anything like that.

I feel really good and am so happy for the most part with the results. I have to keep reminding myself that the best results may not be for several months and be a bit more patient.

I have not lost any hair but did a few months after band surgery so we will see.

I do have 2 body pillows and now sleep on my side (Yes!) surrounded by my pillow nest to take any pressure off. Dr. Naysmith did Lipo on my outside thighs and it can still be tender from time to time.

I'll get the pics on tomorrow. Take care.

Barb

Barb, glad you are doing so well, keep up the healing and slow down like your nurse ordered!!!!! I am looking forward to seeing your results pictures.

Mimi

It's 3 weeks today since my lower body lift. I feel really good but still get fatigued when I have been standing up puttering around for too long. My swelling has gone down some but I still have alot around and below my belly button. The skin there feels tight and sort of numb. I have alot of questions for my plastic surgeon next week. I don't know if my belly button should look "normal" at this stage...it still looks like a tiny bum! haha I wonder how it will end up looking? How did other find the swelling? Did it take a few months before you had almost no swelling? Right now I have a mesh adhesive tape over my stiches...so it makes it look dark. The scars are a pink color under the tape. Next week my surgeon will put silicone gel sheeting over the scars that stays on for 3 months. It is suppose to help with scar healing. I have posted a few pics that were taken on Saturday. The one of my back doesn't show the crease very well. I had my compression garment on and it left alot of extra lines. I'll try and get a better picture of it next time. Hope everyone is doing well.

Barb

post-220803-13813139125274_thumb.jpg

post-220803-13813139125541_thumb.jpg

post-220803-1381313912581_thumb.jpg

Hi Barb!

Your results are incredible, I think you're going to be so happy with the results once you're done healing... Look at that tiny waist now! lol I've been following your progress, and really appreciate all of the candid info and photos you've been sharing.

Quick question for you, as I am researching some of my own plastics options: now, at 3 weeks post-op, do you think you could sit on a plane for 3 hours and not be absolutely miserable?

Thanks again!

Thanks Mimi and Allison! I am having a down kind of day today. Not really sure why...well actually I showed a friend of mine my tummy yesterday and she didn't seem super thrilled with it. I showed her a little bit of flubber that is left on top just under my ribs and said I hope this would go when I lose the last 10 pounds and start working out again. She said "I would have thought he would have gotten rid of that". I know I shouldn't worry about what others think. I am thrilled with the results so far and so happy I could do this....I still really struggle with the emotional stuff...feeling like I am still a 300 pound person. I know I am a normal weight person but after seeing myself as an obese woman for almost all my life it is taking me time to adjust. ....so much is new to me. Like buying clothes in a "normie" store and picking out a size medium. I used to be a 6X at Penningtons. Wearing high heels..my feet could barely hold me at 300 pounds let alone walking in heels. I love wearing dresses and skirts to work. On one hand it is thrilling to expereince all this and I am proud of my hard work, on the other hand it is hard to explain to other people the huge emotional process that goes with it. I am grateful for all that I have learned from everyone on this site!! What would I do with out you!

(I've attached a before and after pic...the first one is 1 month before band surgery..the 2nd one is 2 years later and 155 pounds lighter)

Allison....I could sit on a plane for 3 hours now but would bring a pillow (I use a small thin one placed just above my stiches on my back or sometimes just under the stiches) to take any pressure off. Also it would be helpful to get up everyone in a while and walk for a few minutes or just stand to take any pressure off and get your circulation going.

Your pictures are gorgeous! Have you had PS? Also How tall are you? I am 5'4.5 and am hoping to get to 135 maybe 130 I'll see how I look and feel at that weight. You look amazing! you have a Killer figure!

post-220803-13813139128169_thumb.jpg

post-220803-13813139128371_thumb.jpg

Barb, you had major major surgery and a feeling of let down is absolutely normal. Your friend's reaction was a let down, too. Your PS has done a wonderful job....the body will recontour itself over the next year. If there are problem areas then he should be able to fix it...you are too fresh a post op to know what the final product will be. Take care and get some rest. I loved your before and after pictures and you have come a looooong way, baby!!!!!

Mimi

Barbee,

You're pictures are amazing transformation. Mimi is right. You are still healing and it will be awhile before you will see the final product. It is hard to deal with the new body and don't let your friend get you down. Seeing your old pics helps really see the transformation and don't dwell on the little imperfections. She probably wouldnt have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. I do this myself and need to stop doing that. Be proud of what you have accomplished.