Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just got banded-- have a few questions

alright so i was just banded on tuesday the 5th.

i don't feel too bad, i'm just TIRED.

sleeping is such a hassle.

i barely slept in the hospital. this whole sleeping on my back thing is not getting it done.

last night was my first night home, and i slept most of the night (from 10 to 5:30) in my own bed, but at 5:30 i woke up and my back was killing me. all i wanted to do was roll over on my side, so i called my mom and had her come help me out of bed and move me to the couch recliner.

so now here i am, about 20 mins into taking my pain meds and my back still hurts.

so heres the big problem;

i go back to school (only half days) on monday the 10th.

if i keep lacking sleep, i'm never going to make it.

how did you sleep?

how long did it take before you were able to comfortably sleep through the night?

did anything help comfort wise?

I could sleep on my side (sorta) after the second night (I used some extra pillows to prop me into a comfortable position-mainly behind my back). I also took a nap the first few days (only times in my life I could take a nap is when I'm on pain meds). Stay ahead of the pain by taking your meds on time even if you think you don't need them (until you're sure you don't). You won't believe how much better you'll be feeling in a few days. Make sure you keep having someone help you up and down as that's really the worst part and remember the post-op mantra 'walk, walk, walk, and sip, sip, sip!' Best wishes and CONGRATULATIONS Bander! -BG

It gets better each day. I'm a side sleeper and found that by the 2nd or 3rd night I could sleep on my 'right' side if I tucked a pillow under my belly to help support it. After about a week or so I could sleep on my left side if I did the same thing.

alright so i was just banded on tuesday the 5th.

i don't feel too bad, i'm just TIRED.

sleeping is such a hassle.

i barely slept in the hospital. this whole sleeping on my back thing is not getting it done.

last night was my first night home, and i slept most of the night (from 10 to 5:30) in my own bed, but at 5:30 i woke up and my back was killing me. all i wanted to do was roll over on my side, so i called my mom and had her come help me out of bed and move me to the couch recliner.

so now here i am, about 20 mins into taking my pain meds and my back still hurts.

so heres the big problem;

i go back to school (only half days) on monday the 10th.

if i keep lacking sleep, i'm never going to make it.

how did you sleep?

how long did it take before you were able to comfortably sleep through the night?

did anything help comfort wise?

Make sure that you take your pain meds when you are feeling a little pain because if you wait until the pain is out of control, then it will take at least an hour for the medication to start working. I was able to sleep on my 'right' side about 2-3 days after surgery by putting a pillow under my side. Keep in mind that some of your back pain could also be gas. Sometimes it helps to get up and walk a short distance and then try laying on your right side with the pillow under you. It will get better in a few days. It really took me about 1 1/2 weeks to feel better so that I didn't have to use a pillow under my side anymore.

thanks everyone for replying

another thing thats worrying me at the moment... i don't feel full on nauseous, but its kind of a mix of being dizzy, a little nauseous, and tired. is that because i haven't been eating that stays in the band? and then taking pain meds on an empty stomach?

Most pain meds are hard on the tummy and will make you nauseous if you don't eat when you take them. Are you swallowing liquid pain meds? My MD prescribed a nasal spray which was great. Once you can handle simply Tylenol (liquid) for pain, rather than the hard-core stuff, your tummy will handle it better.

ETA: the dizzyness is probably from lack of calories, i got that way on the pre-surgery diet and the lack of sleep definitely contributes to that. Nap as much as possible, your body has been invaded and needs to rest to heal.

Yup.. that's Lortab.. that's what they gave me as well, in liquid form... it didn't do much for me... it took the edge off a little bit but that was all... thankfully after the 2nd full day, I really didn't need any pain meds... and I am a stomach sleeper, so I know what you are going through. Like everyone said, nap as much as possible during the day... a recliner is great... I only had my couch, but I would lay on the couch propped up during the day... and I did get up and walk a lot.. that is important... good luck and let us know how you are doing...

yeah i'm on lortab or something, which is a hydrocodone/acetaminophen liquid. so its a pretty hardcore thing

thanks everyone for replying

another thing thats worrying me at the moment... i don't feel full on nauseous, but its kind of a mix of being dizzy, a little nauseous, and tired. is that because i haven't been eating that stays in the band? and then taking pain meds on an empty stomach?

It does take a couple of days for the anesthesia to get totally out of your system also. That topped with pain meds will make you tired and sleepy sometimes nauseous. Just rest right now but also make sure you are up and walking occasionally. Your body is also in starvation mode but it will get better over time.

By the way, congratulations on your banding!!

I asked and was told by a nurse doing the presurgery ed. class that i could sleep on my stomach. I have been with no problem. Hope this helps and get some rest lol.

"i woke up and my back was killing me."

Ah, my favorite part (not).

My back seized up, too and I had to sleep in a recliner for a few days

until I couldn't stand not moving around.

I moved to the bed and had to sleep on

my right side for awhile.

Then I bought a body pillow so that I could prop it between my legs

and hang my arm over it...keeping that weight from pulling down on my abdomen.

It helped a lot to suspend my limbs like that.

I was weak for about 2 weeks.

It made me sad and a little worried,

but the ladies here put me straight.

It passes...there is an end in sight.

if you are feeling dizzy it is a sign of dehydration. I thought it was lack of food or pain meds too. Drink more or you will end up in the ER, no joke, they threatened to send me.

how much is too much to drink at one time? i just don't want to drink too much Water and not have all of it go down and then have an issue.

From what I've read, you want to drink about an ounce every 15 minutes or so. Try getting those tiny cups (like what you might find on the top of a Nyquil bottle), which holds an ounce. Keep a bottle of Water next to you, fill the little cup, and sip on it.

The first few days after surgery I didn't drink a lot. But then I could tell when I was ready (and able) for more, and started adding more fluids. Listen to your body. It will direct you.

Also, the first two nights, I started out in bed, but after about 4 hours after sleeping on my right side (my port is on my left), I had to get up since my right should hurt so much from laying on it, and move to the couch, where I slept on my back propped up with several pills. I'd sleep for another 4 hours or so. Then my husband and I changed sides of the bed, so I could stay in bed all night, once I was able to partially sleep on my tummy. Now I'm back to my own side of the bed and I can sleep pretty much any way I want.

how much is too much to drink at one time? i just don't want to drink too much Water and not have all of it go down and then have an issue.

As my NUT told me. Think of your pouch as a funnel. Don't drink too fast.