Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op and need some advice!

Hey everyone!

I was banded on Wednesday, so today I am 3 days post op. Since the surgery, I have had a constant tightness in my chest and back, and if I walk for too long, I end up having to take a painkiller. I keep telling myself it's just gas, but my surgeon said that should have stopped by day two. If that's the case, what the heck is this horrible "tight" feeling?

Another problem I am having is I don't know when I am full. I am on a full liquid diet, and it seems like I can drink and drink and drink, and never get that full feeling. I am drinking Soups, yogurts, jellos etc, shouldn't that be filling me up?

Ok one more question! My surgeon told me he fixed my hiatal hernia that was causing my heartburn, so does that mean that eventually I wont have to take protonix anymore?

I'm still really sore, and the pain in my back is almost overwhelming. I have been sitting down for an hour now, and I can still feel it. I just wish I knew what it was. My surgeon seems like somewhat of a jerk, as he laughed at my questions after I got out of surgery. I wanted to say, "well if you had told me these things beforehand, I wouldn't have to ask you now."

There are just some things that make me nervous about my surgeon

1) He says I can take all my pills (9 total) at the same time and not have to worry about anything. Some of them are horse sized and he said I don't even have to break them in half.

2) He has had me on a full liquid diet from day 1, not low fat, not sugar free, but a FULL whatever I want liquid diet.

3) I told him I was having gas pains still yesterday, and he acted like I was exaggerating, and told me they should have been gone already. Didn't want to send me home with painkillers either!

4) My stomach is still incredibly swollen. I look like I swallowed a watermelon vertically. I'm fat to begin with, but this is crazy, I don't even fit in comfy pants, LOL, I look like an obese, pregnant person who swallowed a watermelon.

I would just feel a WHOLE lot better knowing that someone else has experienced these things, and if not, I'd like to know that too so I can hunt down my surgeon and make him give me some answers!

Thanks is advance to you all, I really appreciate it!

We were banded on the same day and I'm experiencing exactly the same stuff. My chest and back hurt so bad that it's difficult to breath deeply. I walk a bit on my treadmill (it's ice and snow outside) and my apt, but after 10-15 min I feel lightheaded and have to sit or nap. I'm no doctor, but I don't recall hearing the gas pains should be gone w/in 2 days. In fact, info from my dr and what I read here makes it seem like the gas pain is typical even a week after surgery.

Do you have gas-x strips? I've heard they work wonders, coupled with lots of walking to get the build up moving. We don't have the strips here and lord knows I'd kill for some right now, but I moving around much more today and already feeling a slight decrease in the pressure, so I guess I just have to wait/walk it out.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm starving! I did Clear liquids (broth/water) for two days and began slowly incorporating some Protein today - still freaking hungry :( and technically the Protein and milk are not Clear Liquids so I'm already cheating. :) I can't wait for some Jello and pudding or anything with substance. But it all varies according to the dr and how they want you to progress food wise - some are more conservative than others apparently.

From the sound of things your doctor is a bit of an a$$. I'm surprised he tried to deny you pain killers and acted like you are making up pain after surgery. Certainly he's had patients with gas pain beyond 2 days. :) Hopefully he changes his crap attitude soon. If not, you will have to deal with that kind of bs during fills and if that's the case, then you're better off finding a new dr.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it seems like you're doing everything according to your plan, so keep you chin up and post on how things progress for you. *bol* :blink:

It is not unusual to still have pain, so no worries, you're on track. Goodness, you just had major surgery three days ago! Of course you're going to be in some amount of pain!

The tightness **might** be more gas, but it also might be congestion. Did you do your breathing exercises? Have you coughed up any congestion? Are you feeling short of breath? My hospital sent me home with a little plastic breathing thingie, that I had to breath into and make the level go to a certain height. I couldn't do it, so I had to keep at it all day -- finally, I coughed up a couple of alien life forms, and then I could hit the level on my breathing thingie (breathing thingie being the technical term :) )

Why are you ashamed to be hungry? Hunger is a built in response to keep us from starving ourselves to death. It is part of the way we are created, and pretty cool if you think about it. Having said that, you really do need to follow your doctor's advice on this count (regardless of how you feel about him). Remember, he is the only one that was poking around inside of you, so he's the guy that knows what you need.

However, the pill thing does sound odd. I would for sure question him about that. I would also be more foreceful about the pain meds. There is nothing wrong with saying, "Dr. SoAndSo, I respect your advice, but the way that you are delivering it makes me feel stupid, and I don't like that. I will be more likely to follow your instructions if you listen to my concerns, take me seriously, and not laugh at my questions." Plain, simple, to the point.

That is your right, to expect to be treated with respect. Sure, he's a doctor, but he's also a human being, and if you bring to his attention that he's being an arrogant a$$ (without saying as much, of course), then I bet he'll think on it ... and treat you with more respect in the future!

I have a HORRIBLE surgeon, so I know what you're saying. It's a different situation in that I've met my guy for a total of maybe 10 minutes. That's it. I wouldn't know him if I passed him on the street. It isn't that he's rude, he just doesn't care -- so I'm going to be looking at changing doctors as soon as these holidays are over.

I was banded the same day as you:

My doc sai gas pains can stick arounnd for several weeks.....burping, farting, and walking helps get it out. He suggested the gas strips if needed.

My doc told me to cut/crush all medication that was larger than a pinky finger nail---remember the LARGE STRAW theory.

Good Luck with everything....make sure you stay hydrated.

Hey everyone!

I was banded on Wednesday, so today I am 3 days post op. Since the surgery, I have had a constant tightness in my chest and back, and if I walk for too long, I end up having to take a painkiller. I keep telling myself it's just gas, but my surgeon said that should have stopped by day two. If that's the case, what the heck is this horrible "tight" feeling?

Another problem I am having is I don't know when I am full. I am on a full liquid diet, and it seems like I can drink and drink and drink, and never get that full feeling. I am drinking Soups, yogurts, jellos etc, shouldn't that be filling me up?

Ok one more question! My surgeon told me he fixed my hiatal hernia that was causing my heartburn, so does that mean that eventually I wont have to take protonix anymore?

I'm still really sore, and the pain in my back is almost overwhelming. I have been sitting down for an hour now, and I can still feel it. I just wish I knew what it was. My surgeon seems like somewhat of a jerk, as he laughed at my questions after I got out of surgery. I wanted to say, "well if you had told me these things beforehand, I wouldn't have to ask you now."

There are just some things that make me nervous about my surgeon

1) He says I can take all my pills (9 total) at the same time and not have to worry about anything. Some of them are horse sized and he said I don't even have to break them in half.

2) He has had me on a full liquid diet from day 1, not low fat, not sugar free, but a FULL whatever I want liquid diet.

3) I told him I was having gas pains still yesterday, and he acted like I was exaggerating, and told me they should have been gone already. Didn't want to send me home with painkillers either!

4) My stomach is still incredibly swollen. I look like I swallowed a watermelon vertically. I'm fat to begin with, but this is crazy, I don't even fit in comfy pants, LOL, I look like an obese, pregnant person who swallowed a watermelon.

I would just feel a WHOLE lot better knowing that someone else has experienced these things, and if not, I'd like to know that too so I can hunt down my surgeon and make him give me some answers!

Thanks is advance to you all, I really appreciate it!

Gas pains can last for a few weeks. What you are experiencing with the tightness in your chest and back is more then likely gas pains. You may feel it in your shoulder also. That's where many of us feel it. As someone else said, try some Gas X-strips and maybe a heating pad. While your sitting do a rocking motion like you are sitting in a rocking chair. It sometimes helps the gas to pass.

As for the feeling hungry. Is the doctor allowing you to take the Protein supplements yet? If you are still on liquids I would recommend going to www.unjury.com. Order some of the chicken flavored protien supplement. It's clear liquids and it will keep that hunger down. You can warm it up like you do chicken brother. They tell you to drink 4 oz of fluids every hour. I did more then that and I am ok. If you do consume more than 4 oz every hour though you have to sip really slow. Think of your stomach as a funnel. If you drink to much at one time or to fast at one time it might cause you to feel stuck or you may vomit. That you don't want to do.

For everyone with the bloating and pain in your stomach. It does get better. You are healing now. Give yourself about 2 weeks before you start feeling really good. And walk as much as possible to get rid of that gas.

Thank you so much for all the advice and support guys! I have the gas x strips, but they really haven't helped any. I wonder if the gas x pills would be better? I guess what I am feeling is gas pain, and gosh it's horrible! I have to take painkillers to make it go away. I have a horrible sinus infection on top of all this, do you all think my regular md will still give me meds for it? I hate waiting till Monday to go see her, but I have no choice :smile2: