Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those who have had more than one fill...

I get my first fill on 1/22 (5 weeks after surgery). After this fill, its my choice as to when I want to schedule additional fills (as long as they are not closer than 2 weeks apart). My surgeon's office is pretty busy, though, so do you think I should go ahead and schedule the second fill (for 2 weeks out) when I am there to get my first fill? It seems like most people loosen up within the first 1-2 weeks after a fill and need more than one fill. So, I would think this would be a safe bet that I would want another fill sooner rather than later.

But, I'd love some opinions from people who have actually had more than one fill. Would you have wanted your additional fills that close together or do you think its better to give your body more time to adjust between fills.

My doc never gives a fill closer than 4 weeks, and in the beginning it was 6 (to see how we adjust to it, as the early feeling of restriction sometimes takes a week or so to "kick in"). I am on fill # 7 or so, and have 6.6 cc in a 14 cc band.

I still have to wait 4 weeks for a fill, but after the 2nd or 3rd fill he only gave small amounts anyway (.1 cc-.3 cc).

Good luck!

wow, 2 weeks apart.. that is very generous.. I have to wait 6 wks apart... the only advice I would give you is that it may take you more than 2 weeks to get to know how to pace yourself with the band and different foods.. I guess if you could cancel with no penalty it wouldn't/shouldn't be a problem.

I've had 4 fills now and each has been 4-5 weeks apart. I would personally never go for a fill earlier than 4 weeks from the pervious fill as I don't think I would be fully adjusted. I always schedule my next fill prior to leaving the doctors office to ensure I can get an appointment.

So, after your first fill, did you actually feel restriction (like you didn't need a fill) two weeks out from it?

I guess the safe thing to do would be to schedule it and then just cancel it if I don't need it. I am just curious if it is more likely that I would want it that soon or not. I hear so many people on here complain that they got a fill and have no restriction just a few days later. But, I'm not sure if that is just because those with a complaint are more vocal or if that is really the norm of how things go w/the fills.

My surgeon's office used to automatically schedule the fills one month apart, but then they found that some patients like them closer together and some farther apart so now it is up to the patient to decide and schedule for themselves.

My doctor lets his patients determine how often they get a fill, but prefer they allow 2 weeks between fills. I had my first fill at 4 weeks post op, a second fill two weeks later and then a third fill one week after that. The only reason I had a third fill so soon was because I wasn't experiencing any restriction, not even right after a fill and they wanted to check to make sure the fill actually went in.

It did, but they decided to top me off with 2 more. I did go back in a week later and have 1 cc of that last 2 removed since I couldn't eat solids. Now I'm good.

If you can cancel without penalty, I'd make the two week visit at each fill. That's what I did.

I think it really depends on how much they put in at each fill. I have seen bansters fill lists that say each fill was 1cc or less. Sometimes even .5cc

Plus I think it is so very different depending on things like how thick your stomach wall that is inside the band is.

I felt good restriction after my first fill for quite some time. Then I had such good restriction after my second fill, when the appt. for my 3rd rolled around I had to cancel it. I have not set up another fill because I've had tight restriction since September.

I've had 7 fills (I think). It took me a while to get good restriction, so I probably did go every 2-3 weeks at first since I didn't feel anything. I would say schedule the 2nd fill, and if you need to wait awhile longer cancel it a couple days before.

It will depend on how aggressive your Dr. is with fills. If you get a larger one at first you may want to wait longer, but if you only get 1 cc, go back in 2 weeks.

Good luck!!

I waited the 4 weeks. I had some restriction (though not at sweet spot) from first fill. As i got to week 4 I needed to go back. I wouldn't overdo it - having been overfilled and swollen that is not pleasant at all.

I go once a month like clockwork for each fill. The only exception was when I was too tight and had to re-adjust in December. Then it was two weeks. I am now back on my monthly appointment. I make my next appointment before I leave from my last.

I go once a month like clockwork for each fill. The only exception was when I was too tight and had to re-adjust in December. Then it was two weeks. I am now back on my monthly appointment. I make my next appointment before I leave from my last.

Is this because you haven't reached your sweet spot or is it because that sweet spot changes on a monthly basis?

I'm pretty sure I'm at my sweet spot. I get stuck if I don't chew well or take too big of bites, but otherwise I'm ok. At first last week I felt full after my meal (right after my unfill), but now I don't; however, I am limiting myself right now to 1 cup of food at a meal and am content and not hungry for about 4 hours afterwards so I'm guessing that's the sweet spot.

I was kind of assuming that once I get to that point, I won't need further fills for months.

Is this because you haven't reached your sweet spot or is it because that sweet spot changes on a monthly basis?

I'm pretty sure I'm at my sweet spot. I get stuck if I don't chew well or take too big of bites, but otherwise I'm ok. At first last week I felt full after my meal (right after my unfill), but now I don't; however, I am limiting myself right now to 1 cup of food at a meal and am content and not hungry for about 4 hours afterwards so I'm guessing that's the sweet spot.

I was kind of assuming that once I get to that point, I won't need further fills for months.

I believe I have just hit my sweet spot at 8.0 cc's as 8.2 was too much. I will still go in monthly as I tend to have some evaporation and I want to be sure I don't slip up and allow too much to evaporate. Once I reach my goal and find that I can mantain my weight, I will probably back off of that. It will just depend on how I am doing.

I believe I have just hit my sweet spot at 8.0 cc's as 8.2 was too much. I will still go in monthly as I tend to have some evaporation and I want to be sure I don't slip up and allow too much to evaporate. Once I reach my goal and find that I can mantain my weight, I will probably back off of that. It will just depend on how I am doing.

Yeah, I had 8 and couldn't eat solids so they took out 1. They'd still like to put 1/4 cc back in on my 1/13 appointment just to make sure and I may let them. Maybe that will give me the 'full' feeling?

Yeah, I had 8 and couldn't eat solids so they took out 1. They'd still like to put 1/4 cc back in on my 1/13 appointment just to make sure and I may let them. Maybe that will give me the 'full' feeling?

That's what I did after my too tight episode. Just the .2cc's and that did it. Sometimes just that little bit can make the difference. A little at a time is definitely the best way to go when you start getting up into your sweet spot territory.

My first two fills were only a week apart and I had no problem. The first fill was 4cc and the second 2cc. The closeness of the fills may have been possible due to the fact I have a large band instead of a small one. I would have gone in for fill number 3 a week after that, but Christmas got in the way so I'm headed back on the 4th. I'm scheduled for fill 4 on the 18th of January. That makes four fills in about a month and a half.