Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get un-stuck?

I have never been able to "throw up" in my life, until the band, only had 3 times in my life, no matter how badly I wanted to at times when I was younger. Since I can't, I spend close to an hour with the frothing and coughing a tiny piece at a time, wishing I could throw up, with no luck. I have tried everything said above, with no luck, no finger down the throat worked, nothing. I finally found that if I drink some grape juice like three big gulps, which do hurt going down, I can then throw up a good amount and the episode ends. I think it is because the grape juice is so heavy and thick, it is hard to get down, but once it comes back up feels so much better. After spending countless times having made the mistake of getting stuck and spending an hour stuck wishing, crying, with the stringy rubber cement spit, the grape juice becomes by best friend. (And yes, be by the toilet or have a bucket ready).

Love the stringy rubber cement reference. How true!

Wow, grape juice would be messy if you missed the bucket. Urgh! Or do you drink the white juice? I have dove grey carpet. I can't imagine the mess.....

I don't have any problem up-chucking, never have. I am thankful for that. I just hope that I am not too quick to go that route. I know vomitting is bad for us in band-land, but when I do it, there is very little heaving. Just an urp, a blop, and I feel much better. :unsure:

My rationalization is that by bringing it up fast, my stomach isn't roiling for hours trying to get the offending article down or up. I am facilitating the inevitable.

Denise

Ok SO I am pregnant and still 6cc in my band....needless to say i get stuck EVERY meal ....i would have to say that ive mastered this! I know it sounds crazy but I moan...i moan like there is no tomorrow...th reason is that it makes your throat manually work the food down to your stomach. Another thing i do is try to take deep breaths in. If I am sitting down, I stand up and walk that usually brings it down. I hope some of these work for someone!!

My last stuck episode landed me in the ER and an overnight stay in the hospital. I had tried most of the above suggestions and after vomiting several times I was still in a lot of pain several hours later.

I am sure getting shot could not have been more painful than this stuck episode. I could barely talk to the admitting nurse in the ER yet alone fill out the paperwork.

I got a total unfill and it will stay that way forever as far as I'm concerned. I have not put on weight even over Christmas. And I am satisfied with my 75 lb weight loss only 15 of which is attributable to the band. I get by on willpower mostly and changed my eating habits 4 years ago (banded 9/08). The band has not worked for me like it has for others. (I have a 4cc band and had a little over 1cc removed during this episode so I wasn't overtight but obviously restricted.)

The band has caused me to develope a hiatal hernia, esophageal motility disorder, left shoulder pain and stuck episodes - all for 15 lbs. I am disappointed it hasn't worked for me like it has for others.

If it is really bad, I will just make myself throw it up...that way it is over and I do not suffer. Probably not the best advice

I too am still learning - almost at my one year bandiversary - but I can tell when it's not going down and honestly a drink of Water or something makes it come up. I feel so much better when that happens. I can't wait it out...sometimes I try for hours...and it's uncomfortable and I move around but inevitably when I take a drink of water it makes it all come up. Sometimes I think I must have eaten too much. I have tried to troubleshoot it but cannot always do so. Good luck!

I'm glad to have all this advice but how do you go out to restaurants with friends? Especially during the summer when there aren't as many Soups on the menu. This is a big part of my life and only my husband and parents know about the surgery.

What about when you go to a dinner party and can't control what is served? I reeeally don't want to throw up on a friend's dog or something as I'm moaning and bending over and standing up and drinking and burping! Please advise!

I agree with LapNYC. Only a couple people know about my band and I am terrified when I go out to eat and when I am working! I don't have a job that I can just run to the bathroom and throw up. What if I get stuck while working! I can't just stop working so I can drink warm Water, bend over, moan or whatever...probably my biggest fear about the band...other than that- so far so good :)

For me getting up and walking around helps and warm liquids bring it up but I always try walking first. It seems to jiggle it down most of the time. Good luck!

Not sure if this is good or bad but... when I'm stuck I just lean over the sink and with barely any effort on my behalf - i can usually barf it up! lol! Does that mean I have a sensitive gag reflex? Sometimes it takes a few mini-barf efforts and it's not like the massive barfing you do when you are sick and seriously vomiting from the bottom pit of your tummy. I just kinda heave a little and out it goes! Instant relief - watery eyes and all! Luckily, I've only had this happen a few times!

Not sure if this is good or bad but... when I'm stuck I just lean over the sink and with barely any effort on my behalf - i can usually barf it up! lol! Does that mean I have a sensitive gag reflex? Sometimes it takes a few mini-barf efforts and it's not like the massive barfing you do when you are sick and seriously vomiting from the bottom pit of your tummy. I just kinda heave a little and out it goes! Instant relief - watery eyes and all! Luckily, I've only had this happen a few times!

Oh yes... when I go out to eat I always make sure I know where the restroom is BEFORE I begin eating!

I'm glad to have all this advice but how do you go out to restaurants with friends? Especially during the summer when there aren't as many Soups on the menu. This is a big part of my life and only my husband and parents know about the surgery.

What about when you go to a dinner party and can't control what is served? I reeeally don't want to throw up on a friend's dog or something as I'm moaning and bending over and standing up and drinking and burping! Please advise!

Well, puking up around my dogs make clean-up so much easier as they love to recycle fresh puke!!:):lol:

I am a week banded and moving onto fat-free soups and FF yogurts and pudding and Protein Shakes made with FF milk, no fruits. Supposed to do this for two weeks and then I'm not sure what hell he has planned for me for the last two weeks. I am going out of town March 4th to the 8th and need to be eating fairly normal food by that time. No fill in the band, just the band. I have the REALIZE band.

LapNYC and slwyse, I would try and find a certain meal that you know you can eat at anytime and is common on most menus. I can always eat potatoes so I would get something with that as a side order. Then when I was on my way to the restaurant I would comment on how my stomach felt "queasy". This way if you do start feeling bad you can pass it off as a stomach bug.

I have not had a single problem going out to eat. 1 thing I do is I have a glass of wine as this loosens things up. Then afterwards I usually order fish or safe foods (unless i've tried something at home). I have had skirt steak out (steak is tricky it can't be well done) but the skirt steak I've had before and it melted in your mouth. All types of fish are ok. I NEVER eat bread out. ever. Or Pasta. The most obvious thing was that I just eat really slow and someone commented on it (but they had no idea I had a band until someone told them later).

When dining out or with a group it is improtant to pay attention to what you are doing and chew, chew, chew. Don't take big bites.

I tend to swallow too fast because of conversation going on around me. I want to join in, and oops....down it goes suddenly!

Around people, it is easy to get distracted while eating which can lead to stuck episodes.