Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food addict/ post op cheating...

Hi. I was banded 12/8/9. I ate a single dorito chewed to creamy apple sauce consistency 2 days post op. I ate some tuna last night, a few bites chewed WELL, pickles (sliced, chewed well), and about 14 doritos tonight.... mind you I am chewing like a pro. I am still supposed to be on the full liquid diet and I am following it, ok.... but i am surviving off potato Soup, special k Protein shakes, ice cream, and popsicles.... i got the band so i could reduce my portion sizes and train myself SLOWLY to be a healthy eater, yet still enjoy my faves.... i just need some advice. I fear band slippage. I also feel little restriction and can eat ALOT.... so yeah... HELP!!!

Ok...the reality is that every doc's preop and postop requirements are different and vary wildly. My doc had me on each phase 2-3 days each and by the end of the 2nd week, I was on regular foods.

Their recommendation was that I eat 1 cup 3x a day or 1/2 cup 6x a day. I told them it wasn't going to happen without any restriction because what would happen is that I'd end up bingeing. They were happy with my compromise which was to just eat less and make good food choices. To be honest, I was pretty happy with Protein Shakes during the day and then a normal (for normal weight people) dinner in the evening.

Oh, and we're all food addicts here. :blink:

I am so glad this thread was started!

I had my band installed 12/22. So I'm 4 days post op. I was on a strict 500 calories/2 Protein shakes a day for 2 weeks for pre-op diet. Now the rules are for the week of post op is NO Protein, just Clear Liquids. I"m dying here! I did cheat, I eat 1 bite of scrambled egg yesterday morning. It wasn't even a big bite. I'm worried to screw up my band like ya'll are saying but OMG, my stomach hurts so bad. It's hunger pains, not surgery pains.

Then after my post op visit that I have with dr. which is not till tuesday, his rules are clear liquid w/protein shakes for 4 more weeks. Then after that I can to to mushies. I'm seriously...about to lose it.

I started this journey at 293 on Dec. 8th and today, what 18 days I'm down to 273. Is this normal? 20 lbs in 18 days? I'm worried it's not healthy. And what happens at 4 weeks of just liquid? At that point I"m just pulling an "oprah" with her liquid diet in the 80's. Anyone can drop a ton of weight on the liquid diet but is it healthy?

Also, I don't understand why some docs say 1 week after operation it's ok to eat mushies but then docs like mine say 4 weeks before mushies. I"m looking for a healthy balance.:smile:

Everyone here will tell you to listen to your Dr which is good advise. I think sometimes, however, we have to use our own common sense. Eating eggs 4 days out may not be a good idea. Is there a nutritionist where you had your lapband done? Dr's are not always the best ones to give nutritional advise, but normally they have trained professional nutritionists working with them and they stick to the surgery for the most part. You can also visit the lapband official site for information and guidance.

Why are eggs not a good idea after surgery? I had my surgery on the 22nd and on our list of food is eggs in the mushie stage.

You can't possibly be stomach hungry your body just went through a huge change, your stomach is swollen. All those noises going on in your belly are not 'growling'. Not if you are only a week out. You are head hungry and I totally understand. I have no desire to eat real food but yesterday when I saw powdered donuts at my parents house I just wanted to lick the outside and let it dissolve in my mouth. You start makng all kinds of logic in your head on why it wouldn't be a solid food if it dissolves, and how you haven't eaten much in a week and how you can't possibly survive on the little you have eaten so far. But you can't do it.

As my husband says "that is the old you, this is the new you" You have to totally change your way of thinking and realize the only way to make a physical change is by starting mentally. We have all played the head games already on every diet we started and failed so many times. My concern is that you are starting this journey with just trying to eat a little less. This is a huge deal, this is the last straw, this surgery is saying you can't do it on your own and are not like the rest of the world when it comes to eating. Don't waste this opportunity to start a new life and feel all its benefits. If you continue with how you have started out you will be one of the people who get a band and only lose 20 pounds.

Sorry if I am blunt and I am by no means an expert but I can't see anyone going through all the trouble and pain of the surgery and then throw it all away.

Why are eggs not a good idea after surgery? I had my surgery on the 22nd and on our list of food is eggs in the mushie stage.

Maybe they're harder to digest? I dunno, but I do know that eggs, even soft boiled ones are a no-no for me right now because they get stuck but I can eat oven roasted carrots with no problem.

I made a scrambeled egg last night very soft and was fine.

One word.....TOFU! I was banded 12/10 and found that tofu is full of protien and can taste like anything. Yesterday i pretty much ate tofu and yogurt and a nsa fudgecicle.

Trader Joes is awesome for this sort of stuff. Try the carrot ginger Soup too. Filling and delicious. Don't give up hope, there's good stuff out there.

You can't possibly be stomach hungry your body just went through a huge change, your stomach is swollen. All those noises going on in your belly are not 'growling'. Not if you are only a week out. You are head hungry and I totally understand. I have no desire to eat real food but yesterday when I saw powdered donuts at my parents house I just wanted to lick the outside and let it dissolve in my mouth. You start makng all kinds of logic in your head on why it wouldn't be a solid food if it dissolves, and how you haven't eaten much in a week and how you can't possibly survive on the little you have eaten so far. But you can't do it.

As my husband says "that is the old you, this is the new you" You have to totally change your way of thinking and realize the only way to make a physical change is by starting mentally. We have all played the head games already on every diet we started and failed so many times. My concern is that you are starting this journey with just trying to eat a little less. This is a huge deal, this is the last straw, this surgery is saying you can't do it on your own and are not like the rest of the world when it comes to eating. Don't waste this opportunity to start a new life and feel all its benefits. If you continue with how you have started out you will be one of the people who get a band and only lose 20 pounds.

Sorry if I am blunt and I am by no means an expert but I can't see anyone going through all the trouble and pain of the surgery and then throw it all away.

Scrambled eggs are difficult for many banded people to eat who have restriction because they can be a food that gets stuck for some. I can't eat them right now and I would not think they would be good for someone 4 days out unless made with lots of milk so they are very much like liquid.

As far as being hungry, most do indeed become very hungry after being banded and usually by the 4th day. If one eats 1/4 cup of food at this point and still feels hungry then perhaps it is head hunger as it does not take much to satisfy the hunger.

Eggs are a difficult food just post-band because they are a rubbery food that doesn't break down any more in your pouch then when you swallow them...think about chewing up eggs and then spitting them into a funnel...if you don't chew REALLY well, you'll get some large pieces that might stop up the funnel. Most other mushies break apart more in the pouch when combined with the slime in your esophagus/pouch, but eggs don't.

Yes maam like i said sometimes if you drink too fast you will get a hung up feeling in between your brests. If i drink too fast i get a hiccup some people sneeze some burp you will find your full signal.

Thank you so very much. I was banded 12/21 and the past couple days I've gotten "brave" and been drinking more water/crystal light/carb free Isopure and once in a while I got this pressure like feeling in the top of my stomach, lower chest and I honestly thought it was gas still. I was like I had to burp, but couldn't. Now it's good to know I drank too much too fast!!

Is anyone else having a hard time with making 4 oz of liquid last 30 minutes?? I do ok with the Protein shakes, but I have a hard time with the soup...I often have to reheat it because it gets cold too quickly!

To the original poster....I know how hard it is right now, believe me. But you did this for you. You have to make it work!! I had to leave the table at Christmas because I couldn't handle the trays of Cookies and the boxes of Fannie Mae floating past my face! I had my 4 oz Tomato Soup and I pouted...but as I said it's one Christmas! You made the decision to get healty. You are the only one who can make it work. We are all food addicts. Throw the Doritos out. We cleaned out all the cupboards and got rid of all Cookies, chips, snack cakes all that stuff before surgery so it wouldn't be here to tempt me. My family is very supportive, I hope yours is too! Good Luck

I am so happy I found this thread. I have been feeling sooooo guilty about eating too many sweets. I was banded on 3rd February, 2009 and have lost 18kg but I am disappointed in my behaviour. What I have read here in this thread has given me the courage to try harder and not give in to "head hunger".

Otherwise, the band has been great. I feel sooo much better and look so much better. I can eat just about anything except fresh bread, cake and steak. I chew well and my meals are healthy. But my old habit of picking between meals - lollies especially are worrying me.

Thank You all.:thumbup:

My doctor said no dairy for the rest of my life, but my nutritionist thinks that that is just his oppinion because it cold be a slippery slope to high cal drinks and foods. I have been having Tomato juice but I want cream of Tomato Soup. Has anyone had any adverse effects from dairy like milk

My doctor said no dairy for the rest of my life, but my nutritionist thinks that that is just his oppinion because it cold be a slippery slope to high cal drinks and foods. I have been having Tomato juice but I want cream of Tomato Soup. Has anyone had any adverse effects from dairy like milk

I hate milk but my doctor said it's good for me and recommended 1 cup per day. So I mix it with my morning Protein shake and half a banana. I wouldn't see that milk is a problem unless you're lactose tolerant.

I had cream of tomato Soup the other day with my lunch. Yummy.

I had my surgery the day after you and I am telling you I have absolutely NO RESTRICTION either. I can drink like a camel! I can put back Soup like nobody's business. NONE, nada... no restiction.

Can't wait to get my fill on the 21st of Jan.

Yes, it is the foods that slip through the band that are our biggest problem. My dietitian likes me to eat proper food. i.e. a cup of coffee made on High Calcium/No Fat milk first at Breakfast followed by 1 weetbix soaked in the same milk till it is mushy. I use artificial sweetener as I like it a bit sweet.

Morning Tea is fruit

lunch is lebanese flat bread with shaved ham, Tomato, cheese and low fat mayo rolled up in it.

Afternoon Tea is low fat yoghurt

dinner is Veges and Protein. As I can't eat much steak any more - only if it is sliced thinly and cooked to pieces - eat a fair bit of minced stuff. I also eat all sorts of Pasta.

Dessert is more low fat yoghurt or ice cream.

Alway drink before eating never the other way around or you just wash you food through.

Hope this helps