Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

52 and wondering what to expect

Finally a place to learn about weight loss surgery after 50. I wish I had found this forum months ago. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 29th, 2013. Just 6 days, I'm so excited!

The thing is, the closer I get to the date, the more I feel like there is so much that I don't know. My surgeon is very experienced and I have confidence in his ability but I just don't feel well informed so I will be having lots of questions for you.

I'm having the surgery for health reasons (diabetes, blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea). Looking better will be an awesome bonus. I'm 5'1" have 100 pounds to lose.

Here is my first question. I'm afraid of how I will look afterwards. I'm 52,how much loose, saggy skin can I expect? I think I'll be just as unattractive but in a different way. I'm really not vain but I thought I could ask this question here and get some honest feedback.

hi im not far behind you in 49 this year like you im having the sleeve because of my health the same as yours, im still waiting for my date for my op but doing all the test at the moment, :)

Clothes can hide a multitude of sins...lol.

Hi,the skin is an issue vut you are going to enjoy so many other things that even though I think it bugs all of us,it is ok.And then there is plastic surgery should you want to do it of course.

Dont worry about that yet.Some of us have lots of hanging skin and some have remarkably little.I am one of the unfortunates (lost and gained way too often and genetics is not on my side) but I love being thin.

hi im not far behind you in 49 this year like you im having the sleeve because of my health the same as yours, im still waiting for my date for my op but doing all the test at the moment, :)

Waiting on a date is so hard. I hope you don't have to wait too long.

I just turned 52. Down 70lbs so far. A little sagging in the inner thigh and belly area, but not too bad. Working out has helped. I understand that it could take up to 2 years for your skin to adjust so, I;m not worried about it. Clothes will cover my problem areas. We love to camp at lakes, so not sure how to hide the saggy thighs though.

I'm just a few years behind you ...

Take a look at my pictures in the Gallery under my profile and you can decide for yourself which way I would rather be. For me, it's a no-brainer.

I'm 56 and had my surgery 12/27/12. Like you, my main reason for the surgery was (hopefully) getting rid of diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure. My diabetes has been bad enough that I've worn an insulin pump for the last 4 years (taking close to 150 units of insulin a day). Since my surgery, I have not had to wear my insulin pump (I occasionally have to inject 1-2 units of insulin, but not everyday) and I'm taking half the amount of pills for HBP. Don't lose sight of the prize - good health. Any loose skin will be well worth it!!

I'm 55 and @ 50 I lost all my weight via lapband and yes there was saggy skin and I anticipate it again, but I'll take saggy skin over being fat any day! Spanx is my new BFF ;-)

Everyone's skin is different, so you will just have to loose & see what happens! But I agree with everyone else...a little saggy skin is nothing compared to good health! & you can always have it removed if it bothers you that much! I'm 52 also & am looking forward to my new body...saggy & all! Lol....good luck on your journey!

I am 55 and after being on 3 blood pressure medications and still could not control it, I knew I really had no choice, especially since I am going to be a new grandma in May. I purchased the book Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve by Guillermo Alvarez, M.D. and The Sleeved Life by Pennie Nicola. Found both to be very helpful in this journey. They are both available on Kindle, as well.

My concern has always been, will I be able to eat foods like people with normal stomachs!? Eating healthier and in moderation was the theme I heard most often, My surgeon provided a booklet that had websites to visit and cookbooks to try once we are able to eat solid foods. I ordered all of them! Just got them today and they look wonderful. My husband is a better cook than I and said he was willing to try out the recipes, as well. I cannot wait to try them. If you are interested, I will give you the names of the cookbooks.

I, too am concerned about the flabby skin, but I hope to have it removed, when the time is right. I need to get crackin' on exercise, as well.

Blessings to you in your journey.

I'm just a few years behind you ...

Take a look at my pictures in the Gallery under my profile and you can decide for yourself which way I would rather be. For me, it's a no-brainer.

I looked at your pictures. You look awesome! Congratulations!

Now I realize what a petty little worry loose skin is in the grand scheme of things. Thanks.

Will be 51 in March. Just scheduled for Feb. 26 for a sleeve. I have greater than 150lbs to lose.

Good luck with your surgery.

I'm 56 and had my surgery 12/27/12. Like you, my main reason for the surgery was (hopefully) getting rid of diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure. My diabetes has been bad enough that I've worn an insulin pump for the last 4 years (taking close to 150 units of insulin a day). Since my surgery, I have not had to wear my insulin pump (I occasionally have to inject 1-2 units of insulin, but not everyday) and I'm taking half the amount of pills for HBP. Don't lose sight of the prize - good health. Any loose skin will be well worth it!!

I'm glad to hear that your health has improved so much. You are right, it's all worth it. Thanks.

I'm 55 and @ 50 I lost all my weight via lapband and yes there was saggy skin and I anticipate it again, but I'll take saggy skin over being fat any day! Spanx is my new BFF ;-)

I'm planning on having plenty of spandex too! :D