Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

52 and wondering what to expect

Views
Started by KlassyKat, Jan 23, 2013 4:09 PM
43 replies to this topic
43 replies to this topic

KlassyKat

Novice

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgery Date: Jan 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:09 PM

Finally a place to learn about weight loss surgery after 50. I wish I had found this forum months ago. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 29th, 2013. Just 6 days, I'm so excited!

The thing is, the closer I get to the date, the more I feel like there is so much that I don't know. My surgeon is very experienced and I have confidence in his ability but I just don't feel well informed so I will be having lots of questions for you.

I'm having the surgery for health reasons (diabetes, blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea). Looking better will be an awesome bonus. I'm 5'1" have 100 pounds to lose.

Here is my first question. I'm afraid of how I will look afterwards. I'm 52,how much loose, saggy skin can I expect? I think I'll be just as unattractive but in a different way. I'm really not vain but I thought I could ask this question here and get some honest feedback.

annabelle

Expert Member

• Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 280 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 46 lbs
  • Current Weight: 234 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 130 lbs
  • BMI: 42.8
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:23 PM

hi im not far behind you in 49 this year like you im having the sleeve because of my health the same as yours, im still waiting for my date for my op but doing all the test at the moment, :)

desertmom

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgery Date: Mar 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 8 inches
  • Starting Weight: 297 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 141 lbs
  • Current Weight: 156 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 165 lbs
  • BMI: 23.7
  • My Blogs
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:26 PM

Clothes can hide a multitude of sins...lol.

Hi,the skin is an issue vut you are going to enjoy so many other things that even though I think it bugs all of us,it is ok.And then there is plastic surgery should you want to do it of course.

Dont worry about that yet.Some of us have lots of hanging skin and some have remarkably little.I am one of the unfortunates (lost and gained way too often and genetics is not on my side) but I love being thin.

KlassyKat

Novice

• Surgery Date: Jan 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:27 PM

hi im not far behind you in 49 this year like you im having the sleeve because of my health the same as yours, im still waiting for my date for my op but doing all the test at the moment, :)
Waiting on a date is so hard. I hope you don't have to wait too long.

Territravel

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Sergio Verboonen
  • Surgery Date: Jun 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 223
  • Weight Lost: 80
  • Current Weight: 143
  • Goal Weight: 139
  • BMI: 25.3
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:35 PM

I just turned 52. Down 70lbs so far. A little sagging in the inner thigh and belly area, but not too bad. Working out has helped. I understand that it could take up to 2 years for your skin to adjust so, I;m not worried about it. Clothes will cover my problem areas. We love to camp at lakes, so not sure how to hide the saggy thighs though.

PdxMan

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Thomas Umbach
  • Surgery Date: Jul 2011
  • Starting Weight: 295
  • Weight Lost: 110
  • Current Weight: 185
  • Goal Weight: 185
  • My Blogs
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:41 PM

I'm just a few years behind you ...

Take a look at my pictures in the Gallery under my profile and you can decide for yourself which way I would rather be. For me, it's a no-brainer.

NewBegin56

Intermediate Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgery Date: Dec 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 264 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 69 lbs
  • Current Weight: 195 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 28.8
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:47 PM

I'm 56 and had my surgery 12/27/12. Like you, my main reason for the surgery was (hopefully) getting rid of diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure. My diabetes has been bad enough that I've worn an insulin pump for the last 4 years (taking close to 150 units of insulin a day). Since my surgery, I have not had to wear my insulin pump (I occasionally have to inject 1-2 units of insulin, but not everyday) and I'm taking half the amount of pills for HBP. Don't lose sight of the prize - good health. Any loose skin will be well worth it!!

Ms.AntiBand

BariatricPal Host

• Surgeon: Jaime Ponce De Leon
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 190
  • Weight Lost: 63
  • Current Weight: 127
  • Goal Weight: 130
  • BMI: 22.5
Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:48 PM

I'm 55 and @ 50 I lost all my weight via lapband and yes there was saggy skin and I anticipate it again, but I'll take saggy skin over being fat any day! Spanx is my new BFF ;-)

jewelrybyrd

Novice

Posted January 23, 2013 - 4:56 PM

Will be 51 in March. Just scheduled for Feb. 26 for a sleeve. I have greater than 150lbs to lose.

Takingcontrol

Aspiring Evangelist

• Surgeon: Clifton Thomas
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 253
  • Weight Lost: 53
  • Current Weight: 200
  • Goal Weight: 140
  • BMI: 36.6
Posted January 23, 2013 - 5:52 PM

Everyone's skin is different, so you will just have to loose & see what happens! But I agree with everyone else...a little saggy skin is nothing compared to good health! & you can always have it removed if it bothers you that much! I'm 52 also & am looking forward to my new body...saggy & all! Lol....good luck on your journey!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Trending Topics